Does AF interline to AS?

Old Aug 28, 19, 12:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Does AF interline to AS?

Hi all,

Surprisingly very few threads on this topic...

A complicated itinerary... but my parents and I (3 people total) are flying CDG-YVR in AF J. Ticket is AF-issued with AF flight numbers.

Then my parents fly YVR-PDX on AS, and I fly YVR-SEA on AS. These are separate tickets, AS-issued with AS flight numbers.

Two questions:
1) Will AF be willing to through-check 2 bags (my parents') to PDX, and 1 bag (mine) to SEA?
2) It seems like if so, we don't need to collect bags in YVR - can anyone confirm?
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:16 am

You clear US customs & immigration in YVR since it is a preclearance airport. So you will have to claim your bags in YVR and recheck them whether they are tagged through to the final destination or not.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by bj27 View Post
Hi all,

Surprisingly very few threads on this topic...
There are thousands of threads on this topic! (You mention "interlining" in the title, which is an incorrect term in your case. "Interlining" only applies to journeys sold on a single ticket, in which case luggage is, of course, interlined. When you self-connect, you are not entitled to have your bags checked through.)

Two questions:
1) Will AF be willing to through-check 2 bags (my parents') to PDX, and 1 bag (mine) to SEA?
No. Air France does not check through bags onto separate tickets: AF will not interline anymore across reservations?

Note that AF will gladly sell you tickets to SEA on their own flights, and further to PDX via their alliance and JV partner Delta.

2) It seems like if so, we don't need to collect bags in YVR - can anyone confirm?
Yes, you will have to collect your bags, clear Canadian customs/immigration, drop them at check-in, and go through security and US customs/immigration.

Allow sufficient time for all these procedures! (Or change your tickets' destination from YVR to SEA!)
Goldorak and brunos like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 28, 19 at 2:44 am
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:13 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
There are thousands of threads on this topic! (You mention "interlining" in the title, which is an incorrect term in your case. "Interlining" only applies to journeys sold on a single ticket, in which case luggage is, of course, interlined. When you self-connect, you are not entitled to have your bags checked through.)

No. Air France does not check through bags onto separate tickets: AF will not interline anymore across reservations?

Note that AF will gladly sell you tickets to SEA on their own flights, and further to PDX via their alliance and JV partner Delta.

Yes, you will have to collect your bags, clear Canadian customs/immigration, drop them at check-in, and go through security and US customs/immigration.

Allow sufficient time for all these procedures! (Or change your tickets' destination from YVR to SEA!)
Got it. Sorry - I must have used the wrong terminology when searching as I only found one thread when I looked!!

The wrinkle is I was trying to get both my parents and I on the same flights, but it's difficult when you have different destinations (SEA and PDX), so had to book the last legs separately. I saw the thread you referenced, but the experiences were mixed - it seems like sometimes AF will, sometimes they will not.

Makes sense though, I guess we will land at YVR, clear Canadian customs and immigration, pick-up bags, re-check to SEA and PDX, and then clear US customs and immigration. We do have 3H20M of connection time at YVR, so I think this will be sufficient. Only possible headache is in case of IRROPs, but that will have to be a worry for another day.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

AF and AS have interline agreements for tickets and bag checking. But that doesn't mean AF will check your bag through.

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr View Post
You clear US customs & immigration in YVR since it is a preclearance airport. So you will have to claim your bags in YVR and recheck them whether they are tagged through to the final destination or not.
That isn't true in general; YVR can handle intl->US bags directly through-checked when connecting from AC/AF/CA/CX/CZ/JL/LH/NH/PR/WS. See Passenger Guides | YVR.

But I agree you should expect AF to refuse to through-check the bags and therefore to have to go landside to Canada.
Old Sep 8, 19, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
"Interlining" only applies to journeys sold on a single ticket, in which case luggage is, of course, interlined. When you self-connect, you are not entitled to have your bags checked through.
"Interlining," as used by the OP, is in fact the correct term. It means checking bags over the lines of two or more carriers,* whether on one ticket or on separate tickets. And many carriers will indeed interline across separate tickets, particularly within an alliance.

In other words, you are wrong. If you're going to be obnoxiously pedantic, please try to be correct

*The IATA definition of "interline baggage" is as follows:
Checked baggage to be transported over the lines of two or more parties.
IATA Glossary of Passenger Terms
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
"Interlining," as used by the OP, is in fact the correct term. It means checking bags over the lines of two or more carriers,* whether on one ticket or on separate tickets. And many carriers will indeed interline across separate tickets, particularly within an alliance.

In other words, you are wrong. If you're going to be obnoxiously pedantic, please try to be correct

*The IATA definition of "interline baggage" is as follows:

IATA Glossary of Passenger Terms
sorry, but itís you who is wrong and the answer given by Irishguy28 is indeed correct. OP asked if there was an interline agreement between AF and AS and he asked that because he wanted to check a bag through on separate AF/AS ticket. It was answered that such an agreement exists but this was irrelevant in the context of OPís case.
Interlining agreement is more than just checking bags on an itinerary involving 2 carriers. It is the ability to sell a single ticket with segments flown by the different carriers with all the services associated with this ticket, including checking bags.
So, to come back to OPís question, itís not because you have an interline agreement between 2 carriers that you can check bags through on separate tickets.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

sorry, but itís you who is wrong and the answer given by Irishguy28 is indeed correct. OP asked if there was an interline agreement between AF and AS and he asked that because he wanted to check a bag through on separate AF/AS ticket. It was answered that such an agreement exists but this was irrelevant in the context of OPís case.
Interlining agreement is more than just checking bags on an itinerary involving 2 carriers. It is the ability to sell a single ticket with segments flown by the different carriers with all the services associated with this ticket, including checking bags.
So, to come back to OPís question, itís not because you have an interline agreement between 2 carriers that you can check bags through on separate tickets.
Baggage and ticket interline agreements are not the same. It is possible to have a baggage agreement but not a ticketing one.
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this has likely done little but confuse OP. But, as this is a public board and others rely on it for different facts, it is worth dispelling some of the wrong and poor advice.

1. As to the specific situation, AF will not interline the bags to AS across separate tickets not booked into the same PNR. Thus, OP's parents will claim their bags as arriving passengers at YVR and then drag them to AS to check them in. Their schedule will need to allow sufficient time to meet the AS bag check deadline and also account for delays as the risk of missing the AS flight will be on them.

2. As to the broader issue, AF and AS have both interline ticketing and interline baggage agreements. All of the former include the latter, but it is possible to have only the latter. Thus, had these been issued on the same ticket (or on separate tickets into the same PNR), the bags would be checked through. AF could still check the bags across tickets to AS, but chooses as a policy matter not to do so. If by some chance, a random check-in agent agrees to do so for the parents, so much the better. But, they should count on this not happening and there is nothing to be done in advance.

Search this Thread