How can I select higher booking class during online booking?

Old Aug 19, 19, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
How can I select higher booking class during online booking?

Hi, trying to buy a ticket for a long haul trip in Business Class on the AF website. They propose the lowest fare available, but that fare has pretty high penalties for cancellation and change. The fare bucket without any penalties is only slightly more expensive and gives me the flexibility that I want. But I cannot seem to be able to book that online - or can I? How can I force a higher booking class?
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:08 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA *G
You can call the Platinum Service Line which will be very happy to book a higher class for you. Just precise the exact fare bucket you want (by using prior research on e.g. EF) or go through the fare rules with them.

AFAIK only UA and its expert mode proposes customized fare bucket booking on their website.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:30 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by flyingjapans View Post
You can call the Platinum Service Line which will be very happy to book a higher class for you. Just precise the exact fare bucket you want (by using prior research on e.g. EF) or go through the fare rules with them.

AFAIK only UA and its expert mode proposes customized fare bucket booking on their website.
Delta offered a similar feature (and still do, but the link is hidden) where you can select the lowest fare class you would like to book.

https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight
vinnyc and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP wants to book online (why?), one possibility would be to try to do it using the DL website, although the fares and routings offered might not be the same.

If you do this, be aware that you might get codeshares and there can be both advantages and disadvantages, so make sure you understand what you're doing if you follow this route.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks for the hint, will call them. Calling being a much longer process I'll only have time to do that later tonight, when wait times at the Plat line are typically very very very very long (just like on weekends).

Actually, AFAIK Air France is the only airline that does not give customers a choice between a restricted and a fully flexible fare when booking online. Every other airline that I have made bookings with online did give that choice, from the largest like DL and BA and LH to even very small ones like Provincial Airlines flying small turboprops along the St. Lawrence River in Canada. Each one offered the choice between fully flexible and restricted fares either before searching for fares, or when displaying differnent fares available.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about using a travel agent? Maybe Amex. Should be much easier to get through to someone.

For me, the bigger issue seems to be that the AF website is no longer offering the "next higher" class in the search results column. In the past, if I searched for business class, it would show results for Business class and, in the next column, La Premiere. That would let me do a mixed-class booking (e.g. business on the eastbound TATL redeye, first on the return). I don't know any other way to do that (other than via phone).
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
How about using a travel agent? Maybe Amex. Should be much easier to get through to someone.

For me, the bigger issue seems to be that the AF website is no longer offering the "next higher" class in the search results column. In the past, if I searched for business class, it would show results for Business class and, in the next column, La Premiere. That would let me do a mixed-class booking (e.g. business on the eastbound TATL redeye, first on the return). I don't know any other way to do that (other than via phone).
You can still do mixed-class bookings in the new (google-flight-like) interface by simply selecting the desired booking class at the top.

Note to combine economy with anything it can't be economy light.

Search this Thread