FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Air France flight cancellation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1980156-air-france-flight-cancellation.html)

Nonilloyd Jul 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Air France flight cancellation

First post though have been lurking.
Long awaited family trip to Costa Rica .
NCL-CDG-SJO
Just received txt to say that Air France have cancelled the first leg of our trip .
Looks as if getting to CDG could be problematic to make next leg.
We are all gutted and they only provided a phone number which is currently unavailable ( office closes at 8 pm)
current plan would be still to turn up at airport leave home 0300 to get to NCL for 0400.
Any thoughts welcome.
trip is for 26/7/19

Nonilloyd Jul 25, 2019 10:00 pm

Update

It seems as though the best that can be done is to reroute EDI-CDG-PTY-SJO AF474
The extra connection is something I had tried to avoid and we will also now need to drive to Edinburgh with a night in a hotel there. I have now lost all my carefully preselected and paid for seats. I paid for seat plus in Y . Looks like we will be at the back of Y on a 787 instead of a 777. Have asked re paid upgrade to J but no one is able to give me an answer yet.
Will we be ok with only 85 mins connection in PTY ?
Do not fly as much as all of you regulars on here and typically choose known to me national carriers BA/VIRGIN/KLM
Is COPA ok and most importantly safe?

Goldorak Jul 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Very unfortunate situation indeed. On the positive side, you will be better in Y in a B787 than on a B777. Less cramped and more comfortable seat. And yes, Copa is fine (safe and reliable). Hoping that you won’t have any other troubles.

Porcepic Jul 26, 2019 3:12 am

Eventhough your priority at the moment should be to arrive at your destination safely and as soon as possible, note that if you paid for options that have been cancelled due to these changes, you may contact AF afterwards and they will reimburse you the cost of these options. I would also assume they might make a commercial gesture for your hotel night at EDI though not 100% sure, but it is worth mentioning in your mail to AF.

In the event you would miss your connection in PTY (I hope you will be fine as it has already been a tough journey for you!), you will be protected on the next available flights. AF will have a duty of care (meals + hotel if needed) and, if the delay that causes the misconnection is not due to an exceptional circumstance, you may be entitled to a compensation under the EU regulation. Please note though that it will not be the case if everything goes well, as AF website indicates your NCL-CDG flight has been cancelled due to weather during the outbound flight (exceptional circumstance) - as I see other flights seem to have landed at NCL last evening, I would still request some details/proofs from AF [EDIT : actually it seems like the problem was more focused in southern UK that led to capacity constraints in the air, OK].

irishguy28 Jul 26, 2019 3:42 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nonilloyd (Post 31343654)
It seems as though the best that can be done is to reroute EDI-CDG-PTY-SJO AF474

Strange that they put you CDG-PTY (AF474) rather than keeping you on the CDG-SJO direct (AF430) - there is less than half an hour in those flights' departure times.

And also really strange they "moved" you to depart from EDI. There's a 6:00 am flight from NCL to AMS (the same time your cancelled NCL-CDG was scheduled for) and, school holidays and recent AMS disruption aside, I can't imaginee that they couldn't have put you on that flight requiring no change to your NCL departure or time; they should also have been able to easily get you from AMS to CDG in good time for your 1330 originally-scheduled CDG-SJO.

Nonilloyd Jul 26, 2019 5:19 am

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
I think flights from northern airports were all overbooked early this am to cdg. I did wonder re Amsterdam and then to cdg. Is AF 430 daily service?
If so I don’t understand the Panama routing.

Nonilloyd Jul 26, 2019 5:43 am

Reply op

They have changed us to 27/7 so losing over 24 hrs of holiday..

Goldorak Jul 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I am guessing that this rerouting is due to completely packed flights at the moment. I was in CDG2E-M today and walking to my gate, I passed the gate where the flight to PTY was boarding and I thought about OP thinking he might be in this line of people.

Often1 Jul 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nonilloyd (Post 31344480)
They have changed us to 27/7 so losing over 24 hrs of holiday..

AF should be more than willing to extend your return by at least a day. There is no theoretical requirement for this, but it is common commercial practice.

For the benefit of others, if the local AF number is closed, call another one in another time zone. By way of example, the AF call center in the US is open until midnight.

irishguy28 Jul 30, 2019 2:08 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nonilloyd (Post 31344420)
Is AF 430 daily service?
If so I don’t understand the Panama routing.

No, AF430 operates 3 times weekly, on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.