AF has changed my seat selection

Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
AF has changed my seat selection

Hi,
I paid for 4 « duo » seats, and now they moved us to 2 duo seats and 2 seats on the center.
I called AF this morning and they told me they can’t do anything for me because the other « duo » seats are all booked.
I was angry and I asked for a commercial gesture.
They told me to call FB after my flight.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Have you requested your seat refund?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by LY777
They told me to call FB after my flight.
Is that an award ticket ?
Even if it is, FB is not handling customer complaints. They have to go through the usual way using the contact form on-line.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
All airlines will say this - all seat request and assignments are not guaranteed...
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
All airlines will say this - all seat request and assignments are not guaranteed...
Thie is a slightly different case, though; the OP has paid a higher fee for a particular class of seat for which the airline has now confirmed they cannot provide.

The seats that the OP's party have been moved to cost less than what has been paid by the OP's party.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Thie is a slightly different case, though; the OP has paid a higher fee for a particular class of seat for which the airline has now confirmed they cannot provide.

The seats that the OP's party have been moved to cost less than what has been paid by the OP's party.
Again, per AF's General Conditions of Sale for Seat Options:

2.6 Air France will make every effort to respect any Seat Option assignment reserved according to the present Conditions. The Customer is informed by the present Conditions that Air France may be required to modify Seat Option assignments for operational reasons related to security and/or safety measures or operational irregularities, even after boarding and seat assignment.
Air France cannot be held responsible in this case. Customers not benefiting from a Seat Option reserved under the present Conditions will be reimbursed the Price of the Seat Option according to the terms listed in Article 4 below.
as well as AF's own General Conditions of Carriage:

5.3. Seat Allocation

The Carrier shall make reasonable efforts to meet seat allocation requests, but cannot guarantee the allocation of a given seat, even if the Booking is confirmed for said seat. The Carrier reserves the right to change the seat allocation at any time, including after boarding, due to operating, security or safety imperatives, or for reasons of Force Majeure.
No one says OP is not entitled for a refund. In fact, what OP is entitled is the refund.

Also - to be clear, per AF's own literature, the duo seats are not actual separate classes of service.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If I ask for a seat refund, 2 people will be seated anywhere in the cabin
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Is that an award ticket ?
Even if it is, FB is not handling customer complaints. They have to go through the usual way using the contact form on-line.
No, this is not an award tIcket.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

What I don’t understand is why they gave my seats to someone else...
There is no equipment change so this is weird
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LY777
What I don’t understand is why they gave my seats to someone else...
There is no equipment change so this is weird
They shouldn't have.

Make sure they refund you for the 2 seats paid for and not provided
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Again, per AF's General Conditions of Sale for Seat Options:

as well as AF's own General Conditions of Carriage:

No one says OP is not entitled for a refund. In fact, what OP is entitled is the refund.

Also - to be clear, per AF's own literature, the duo seats are not actual separate classes of service.
Of course they are not a “separate class of service”. As stated above, these seats require a payment considerably higher than standard seats.

While the airline reserves the right to change seating assignments, they do not reserve the right to reseat pax unilaterally in “cheaper” seats.

Seating changes and moves within the same category of seat can happen, but seating changes that result in a move to a “cheaper” seat should not happen.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
There are conditions of service and there is customer service. Of course, airlines will always deny liability based on both valid and silly reasons indicated in the contract. But I believe they should do something to make up when they screwed up. It is always easy to put the blame on passengers and never take a blame when you screw up.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by olivedel
There are conditions of service and there is customer service. Of course, airlines will always deny liability based on both valid and silly reasons indicated in the contract. But I believe they should do something to make up when they screwed up. It is always easy to put the blame on passengers and never take a blame when you screw up.
Why presume that AF "screwed up." This was more than likely a conscious and affirmative decision by AF to move OP. This is hardly confined to AF and OP expressly agreed that this might happened (look at the contract he chose to agree to). Neither AF nor any other carrier with any sense is going to explain its reasoning and it is highly unlikely that any front line phone agent knows or could find out.

He is entitled to a refund of the additional fee he paid. That is not a customer service, commercial or any other gesture. Rather it is a refund, exactly as AF calls for,

If I were OP, I would not seek that refund now. If seats he wants open up between now and his flight, perhaps he will want them. After he returns, he can then make a request for the refund if his primary desire, the better seats, is not fulfilled.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Why presume that AF "screwed up." This was more than likely a conscious and affirmative decision by AF to move OP.
But that *IS* the screw-up: consciously and affirmatively "screwing over" the OP by turfing them into cheaper seats after having collected payment for these seats.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Why presume that AF "screwed up." This was more than likely a conscious and affirmative decision by AF to move OP. This is hardly confined to AF and OP expressly agreed that this might happened (look at the contract he chose to agree to). Neither AF nor any other carrier with any sense is going to explain its reasoning and it is highly unlikely that any front line phone agent knows or could find out.
Big joke. Don't tell me, in any serious IT system, that data updates are not traced, I would not buy it any second. Conscious and affirmative decision? More like an IT glitch!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.