Paid for seat option, but then re-seated on board - reimbursement ?

Old Jun 16, 19, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Paid for seat option, but then re-seated on board - reimbursement ?

Sent my son to fly as an UM and since he wanted a window seat I made him a little gift and paid for a DUO seat which according to the check-in staff at the Kids SOLO counter at CDG was still in the designated UM zone.

Once on board he was moved to another (non-window) seat by the crew. Not a problem, the crew must have had its reasons.

And even if the sum of money is not significant, it got me thinking: what happens if one pays for a service which is then not provided? I guess AF has a clause that allows them to not provide certain services "for security reasons" and just keep the money.

I am not going to battle for EUR 27 unless it's an obvious case and easy to do, but since I have to wait here at CDG anyway to wait for the plane's departure I was just wondering.

Any experience?
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:43 am

Programs: FB Plat
Contact them online and ask for the reimbursement, it should not be a difficult case as long as they donít expect proofs that your sonís seat was changed (which I understand do not exist as it was done on board).

Different case but I once accepted to be rebooked on a direct flight from CDG instead of a connection at AMS, was offered an aisle seat at the moment of the change (but lost KL EC seat selected for free as STE+) that eventually switched to a middle seat at boarding. I complain at arrival and AF has been very generous (nice voucher + gift, overall value higher than what I paid for the ticketÖ).
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If AF refuses, could you file a dispute with your credit card company on the basis that you paid for a service (specific seat type) that was not provided?

BTW, what did the FA say when the kid was told to move? Did he ask or did he indicate that you had paid extra for the seat?
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks, good information

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If AF refuses, could you file a dispute with your credit card company on the basis that you paid for a service (specific seat type) that was not provided?

BTW, what did the FA say when the kid was told to move? Did he ask or did he indicate that you had paid extra for the seat?
Not sure, probably nothing. We texted when he was on board already when he told me that he had been moved, and he was a little sad because he likes window seats and had been happy that I had bought him one at check-in. But he has always been told to follow crew instructions, so I guess he just complied. And I don't a 12 year old to challenge or negotiate Air France jungle of extra charges ;-)
Porcepic likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Porcepic View Post
Contact them online and ask for the reimbursement, it should not be a difficult case as long as they donít expect proofs that your sonís seat was changed (which I understand do not exist as it was done on board).
There might be a "proof" as the crew is changing seats allocation on their cabin pads when they reseat people. I am sure they did the change for an UM, as they need to know where the UM are seated.
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:23 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

This easy process that work almost all the time in the US doesn't exactly work well in Europe (At least not with my French Amex). The amount of time, effort, and patience needed is usually not worth 27 Euros.
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Guess I'll need to have a word with AF in any case. They left his luggage in Paris

Search this Thread