AF pricing system on same day flight

Old May 29, 19, 12:58 am
Original Poster

AF pricing system on same day flight

Hi guys,

Was looking at AF website for two one-day roundtrip (BOD-PAR) and I found horrible prices : more than 400+ for a morning flight BOD-PAR and a evening flight PAR-BOD.

Finally, I found a solution for 200 (for 4 flights) but how on Earth AF can propose this kind of prices on same-day trip ? How does it work ?

Thank you guys !
Old May 29, 19, 1:30 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by Coder33 View Post
Hi guys,

Was looking at AF website for two one-day roundtrip (BOD-PAR) and I found horrible prices : more than 400+ for a morning flight BOD-PAR and a evening flight PAR-BOD.

Finally, I found a solution for 200 (for 4 flights) but how on Earth AF can propose this kind of prices on same-day trip ? How does it work ?

Thank you guys !
They are free to decide the price they want . welcome to free market

if no one else fly the same route there is no incentive to offer lower prices

also if you buy tickets to fly the same day , its normal that prices are higher

This is airline industry not a railway or bus company
Old May 29, 19, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
also if you buy tickets to fly the same day , its normal that prices are higher
No it should be not ! When you see that thanks to a small little trick, you can lower the price by 4x, it shows how dumb is this system !

And btw, even if it's not a railway company, I'm sure that if you think about same-day travelers, you'll get enough people to fill up your planes and so, not fly with 4 people aboard in a A320.
Old May 29, 19, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure that if you think about same-day travelers, you'll get enough people to fill up your planes and so, not fly with 4 people aboard in a A320.
Is 175 passengers at €200 better than 130 at €400?
AF do think about same-day travelers and they think that these are overwhelmingly business travelers and, as such, generally less price-sensitive than leisure travelers.
paris1000 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 29, 19, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Is 175 passengers at 200 better than 130 at 400?
AF do think about same-day travelers and they think that these are overwhelmingly business travelers and, as such, generally less price-sensitive than leisure travelers.
You right about the maths but when the flight is in 2 days and there is 8% load, you should use your dynamic pricing in the good way ! IMO at least
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old May 29, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Is 175 passengers at €200 better than 130 at €400?
Every airline works this way. Nothing new here. It's revenue maximising.

Leisure travellers will plan farther ahead. Business travellers have a fixed schedule they have to hit, and since it's on company charge, who cares.
Old May 29, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
No it should be not ! When you see that thanks to a small little trick, you can lower the price by 4x, it shows how dumb is this system !
this is something related to the rules setup in booking system , i dont know what trick you used, but maybe not all travellers are aware of this

I'm sure that if you think
This is a suggestion to AF top management board , i guess they will be happy to read it .

Again, as i said they are free to setup their prices as they want , the lack of competition may not give any motivation to do better
Old May 29, 19, 3:40 am

Programs: FB platinum
FWIW, I just looked at last minute trains for BOD - PAR in two days and it's 200 for a first class return trip on the same day. Seems faster, more convenient, cheaper, and more eco-friendly
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 29, 19, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You right about the maths but when the flight is in 2 days and there is 8% load, you should use your dynamic pricing in the good way ! IMO at least
How do you know the load is 8%? You are not equating occupied seats on seatmap to load, are you?
Fares will typically be set on the basis of past flight purchase and use patterns. Taking an isolated example is meaningless. I can see tons of cheap fares on BOD-PAR even at very short notice.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 29, 19, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
but how on Earth AF can propose this kind of prices on same-day trip ? How does it work ?
Because not everyone can afford the extra time to travel indirect routes to get cheaper prices. Particularly for business people, time is money too; it is a waste of their time to sit longer on a plane going on indirect routings rather than paying a higher price to get where they need faster.

And all airlines do this. They will charge as much as they can for each seat; it's an approach that makes sense. People who have no real need to be in a certain place on a certain day can pick and choose their dates and routings in accordance with the prices and routes they are offered, in order to get the best (cheaper) price; people who absolutely have to be in a certain place by a certain time on a certain date, and back home again by a certain time, can therefore be charged a higher price for a "faster" service.

Particularly (but not only) for same-day trips, passengers will want to maximise their time at the destination and not "waste" time making lengthy journeys on indirect routings.

(Remember - we're not in the old days where fares were regulated and therefore there may only have been 3 (or some similar small number of) possible prices for any seat on a particular route; prices fluctuate now constantly and as more seats sell or as departure draws closer, prices creep upwards)
Old May 29, 19, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Id be curious to know how you know the loads (8%) on this specific flight ?

And FYI, if you are as scared by this 400 fare, there are some full flex fares on domestic routes that are close to 600.
SDQBound, ijgordon and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
I think I figured out the trick OP.

You bought 2 returns, one from each city, overlapping the long duration, rather than 2 daily returns.

Did I win?
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:17 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
That's called Back-To-Back ticketing and many airlines do not allow pax to do that as per their terms&conditions.
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
That's called Back-To-Back ticketing and many airlines do not allow pax to do that as per their terms&conditions.
Really? Which ones outside the US?
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Edit : It's been quite an hectic day as my flight has been canceled, we all were rebooked (apart for 30 lucky guys) on next-day flights or flights to BIQ (200km away of Bordeaux) (no matter our status) but finally I grab a last-minute thanks to a sweet AF-representative.

She helped me a lot and I made sure to let AF know about this.

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
I think I figured out the trick OP.

You bought 2 returns, one from each city, overlapping the long duration, rather than 2 daily returns.

Did I win?
Yep, right on target ! Not the most ingenious but still work tho

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

Id be curious to know how you know the loads (8%) on this specific flight ?

And FYI, if you are as scared by this 400 fare, there are some full flex fares on domestic routes that are close to 600.
I asked directly with an AF-representative in my local bureau.
But thank you for your answer, appreciate it.
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Search this Thread