FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF Lounge Access with another FFP registered (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1969327-af-lounge-access-another-ffp-registered.html)

Rednacks May 12, 2019 5:31 am

AF Lounge Access with another FFP registered

Hi everyone,

My question is quite simple although the situation is complicated.
I am currently BA Executive Silver and plan to take the Delta SkyMiles challenge to become Delta Medallion Gold for 3 months.
However my main FFP is Flying Blue and I usually fly Air France, I am just leveraging my BA Executive Silver status to get a status matching with a Skyteam member FFP to access AF lounges at CDG.

My question is the following: I know I am eligible to AF lounges at CDG if I become Delta Medallion Gold, but what if I register my Flying Blue number (to still gain miles on AFKL FB) on my booking and show my Delta Gold card at the lounge .. ?

Thanks.

Goldorak May 12, 2019 7:56 am

It will work but the agent at the lounge will likely change the FFP number in your booking and so you may end up with your miles credited to SM instead of FB and it will be impossible to make the transfer (both airlines will refuse to do so). So, make your choice for what you value the most.

olivedel May 13, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31092946)
It will work but the agent at the lounge will likely change the FFP number in your booking and so you may end up with your miles credited to SM instead of FB and it will be impossible to make the transfer (both airlines will refuse to do so). So, make your choice for what you value the most.

That is a risk, even if I have never seen agents doing that (I have done the same for a couple of months when I repatriated back to France and I have never had that issue).

Goldorak May 13, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by olivedel (Post 31095748)
That is a risk, even if I have never seen agents doing that (I have done the same for a couple of months when I repatriated back to France and I have never had that issue).

we’ve had a couple of reports those last months showing that this clearly an at-risk practice.

Rednacks May 13, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31095992)

we’ve had a couple of reports those last months showing that this clearly an at-risk practice.

When you speak of risk, you just mean risk for your miles to be credited on the wrong FFP? Since I just plan to do it for 3 months and only for short/medium-haul flights, I think I’ll take the risk and see what happens.

Goldorak May 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rednacks (Post 31096232)
When you speak of risk, you just mean risk for your miles to be credited on the wrong FFP? Since I just plan to do it for 3 months and only for short/medium-haul flights, I think I’ll take the risk and see what happens.

Then fine.

irishguy28 May 14, 2019 6:14 am

For several months last year, I would access KLM lounges with my Alitalia status card, while travelling with my Flying Blue number in the booking.

The lounge agents would frequently begin to overwrite the number, but I explained what I was doing - rebuilding my status in Flying Blue and "coming home" from Alitalia - and it was never a problem.

If you explain, briefly but in clear detail, what you are doing, it should not be a problem. I never failed to gain access (even at some third party lounges in DUB and HAM, which surprised me) and my miles never went astray.

Rednacks May 14, 2019 10:33 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31099597)
For several months last year, I would access KLM lounges with my Alitalia status card, while travelling with my Flying Blue number in the booking.

The lounge agents would frequently begin to overwrite the number, but I explained what I was doing - rebuilding my status in Flying Blue and "coming home" from Alitalia - and it was never a problem.

If you explain, briefly but in clear detail, what you are doing, it should not be a problem. I never failed to gain access (even at some third party lounges in DUB and HAM, which surprised me) and my miles never went astray.

That’s great news! Thanks for your feedback.

However I am still wondering which option minimizes the risk: either registering my delta account and switch to my FB number with the agent once in the lounge (since it is an AF lounge), or keep the FB number all the way but just show the card at the lounge entrance as you recommend.

irishguy28 May 14, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Rednacks (Post 31100481)

That’s great news! Thanks for your feedback.

However I am still wondering which option minimizes the risk: either registering my delta account and switch to my FB number with the agent once in the lounge (since it is an AF lounge), or keep the FB number all the way but just show the card at the lounge entrance as you recommend.

NEVER associate the "wrong" number with your booking.

It is asking for trouble.

We have countless reports across all airlines here of miles going to the originally-associated FFP number, even though it was (apparently successfully) changed, and even when the boarding passes issued with the "new" number. In many cases, the booking has been "contaminated" with the original number, and the miles will end up there regardless of any later changes.

Never put a number into a booking until you are sure it is the account where you want the miles to end up. Never rely on strategies that require "changing" the number.

Either travel with no number associated and retro-claim; or do as I told you above. Put the number you want the miles to go to into the booking, and carry your status card, explaining patiently but clearly to any lounge or check-in agent why you want to use the perks of the card, but put the miles into the other account. NEVER ASSOCIATE THE NUMBER OF THE STATUS CARD WITH YOUR BOOKING! JUST FLASH THE CARD AND OBTAIN THE BENEFITS.