FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF22 in La Premiere (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1968049-af22-la-premiere.html)

FLYaway3x May 3, 2019 4:34 am

AF22 in La Premiere

Question, as AF22 departs rather early in the day, does anyone have experience with what the meal service is for an 8+ hour flight in F? I cannot find a menu.

FranckM May 4, 2019 11:27 am

They serve a "brunch" that is not close to the real F service on this short flight.

Goldorak May 4, 2019 1:06 pm

I never flew this flight in P, but a few times in J and I really dislike their J brunch which is very poor.

FLYaway3x May 4, 2019 3:40 pm

Worth taking the A380 flight instead over the 777?

Bullspread May 5, 2019 1:36 am

Originally Posted by FLYaway3x (Post 31062621)
Question, as AF22 departs rather early in the day, does anyone have experience with what the meal service is for an 8+ hour flight in F? I cannot find a menu.

the P service is closed to what you can experience on AF566 to BEY. They serve a kind of brunch indeed. Pretty quite very light catering. I was disappointed in this P class to BEY.
Second service before landing in JFK could be a bit more enhanced but all in all.
if you wish a real P service, you should opt for later flights during the day

San Gottardo May 5, 2019 5:52 am

Been on that flight quite a number of times.

I confirm the brunch. It was different, both in P and J, for a few months I believe two years ago, where they served a normal/lighter breakfast and then a more complete meal before landing. They explained that this was more in line with the flight's times: depart CDG at breakfast time and land NYC at a time which would be a late lunch/early dinner time in Paris or very early lunch in NY. I remember how the CDC asked me about feedback on that on every flight I took during that period. To be honest, I liked it better than the brunch thing.

Other than that, AF 22 may not be the best one from a gastronomic perspective but it's just incredibly convenient if you want to make most of your day in NY. P class is really worth it because you can sleep (=do a NY night) and have a sleep reserve when you land around 10h30 in JFK. Brunch or not, still one of my preferred flights in the AF network. Except that it's full all the time, especially on Monday mornings!

Goldorak May 5, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 31068787)
Been on that flight quite a number of times.

I confirm the brunch. It was different, both in P and J, for a few months I believe two years ago, where they served a normal/lighter breakfast and then a more complete meal before landing. They explained that this was more in line with the flight's times: depart CDG at breakfast time and land NYC at a time which would be a late lunch/early dinner time in Paris or very early lunch in NY. I remember how the CDC asked me about feedback on that on every flight I took during that period. To be honest, I liked it better than the brunch thing.

Me too and it was even one of the best J main course I had on a plane when they changed to light breakfast and main lunch. But then a couple of months later they reverted to their bad brunch. I asked why and they told me it was after customer feedback who said they preferred that. I was and still is very skeptical. :rolleyes:

San Gottardo May 5, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31069466)

Me too and it was even one of the best J main course I had on a plane when they changed to light breakfast and main lunch. But then a couple of months later they reverted to their bad brunch. I asked why and they told me it was after customer feedback who said they preferred that. I was and still is very skeptical. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I remember that as well! And I was thinking what type of person would prefer the brunch/poor second meal setup. I am sure they must exist and I fully respect it, but myself I don't get it.

ijgordon May 7, 2019 1:37 pm

FWIW, here's the J brunch menu from late last year. It was definitely a lame catering flight. Personally, it was okay because I had flown in from HKG-CDG and had a pre-arrival breakfast, then I had breakfast #2 in the lounge, and then I wasn't overly hungry for breakfast #3 . :)

But based on what I had read here, I was definitely not interested in paying the EUR2000 or so they wanted to upgrade to First class on this leg! (I'm sure even the LaP lounge catering would have been disappointing relative to what they serve for lunch/dinner).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d1531a8142.jpg

SkyteamEP May 7, 2019 11:22 pm

La Premiere lounge breakfast menu as of April 2019:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bdda2d01b3.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...87fd4ea4b9.jpg

FLYaway3x Aug 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks all for the replies.
Since I need to be in CDG in August and October I decided the following. Will be sure to post comparisons here. Seems the consensus here for the single traveler on a night or day flight on the A380 is 3L and 1A/K on the B777. How sub-optimal is the food on the brunch flight? Should I eat in lounge?

August:
AF11 JFK-CDG (A380 2155 departure)
AF22 CDG-JFK (B777 0800 departure)

October
AF23 JFK-CDG (B777 1625 departure)
AF10 CDG-JFK (A380 1650 departure)

San Gottardo Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Hmm, for seats on the A380, I actually would recommend 1A as a solo traveler. Feels most private, as you aren't looking on a large cabin with other people. And it's the farthest away from the galley/crew area.

"Sub-optimal" food on the brunch flight vs. eating in the lounge: it depends how you rate breakfast in the lounge vs.sleeping longer. On the other hand, breakfast in the lounge is certainly nice, but unless you eat slowly and order every item on the menu separately (i.e. order eggs six or seven times to try all the variations) it won't take you more than 25 minutes to enjoy a copious breakfast.

As a guideline: for the AF 022 departure I typically get to the airport around 6.45-6.50 am. I am in the lounge by 7am. Have breakfast, then they start boarding. If I feel like it, I then eat something on the plane, or will order something from the on-board breakfast menu a few hours into the flight.

But frankly, it's actually not really a big deal. You'll be in the lounge anyway, and unless you arrive very last minute, you'll have enough time to eat there, and if you feel like it, eat again on the plane.

And by the way, whilst the AF 022 catering isn't the same as for the afternoon flights, the real disappointment is catering on AF023 and all the other evening departures from JFK. Very very reduced menu.

FLYaway3x Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 31409986)
Hmm, for seats on the A380, I actually would recommend 1A as a solo traveler. Feels most private, as you aren't looking on a large cabin with other people. And it's the farthest away from the galley/crew area.

"Sub-optimal" food on the brunch flight vs. eating in the lounge: it depends how you rate breakfast in the lounge vs.sleeping longer. On the other hand, breakfast in the lounge is certainly nice, but unless you eat slowly and order every item on the menu separately (i.e. order eggs six or seven times to try all the variations) it won't take you more than 25 minutes to enjoy a copious breakfast.

As a guideline: for the AF 022 departure I typically get to the airport around 6.45-6.50 am. I am in the lounge by 7am. Have breakfast, then they start boarding. If I feel like it, I then eat something on the plane, or will order something from the on-board breakfast menu a few hours into the flight.

But frankly, it's actually not really a big deal. You'll be in the lounge anyway, and unless you arrive very last minute, you'll have enough time to eat there, and if you feel like it, eat again on the plane.

And by the way, whilst the AF 022 catering isn't the same as for the afternoon flights, the real disappointment is catering on AF023 and all the other evening departures from JFK. Very very reduced menu.

Thanks for that lengthy and detailed reply! Turns out my plans changed again so I will be returning to NYC on AF006 rather than AF022. Surprised what you have said about AF 23/7/11 as was under the impression the catering ex-JFK in La Premiere was pretty good.

San Gottardo Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by FLYaway3x (Post 31411495)
Thanks for that lengthy and detailed reply! Turns out my plans changed again so I will be returning to NYC on AF006 rather than AF022. Surprised what you have said about AF 23/7/11 as was under the impression the catering ex-JFK in La Premiere was pretty good.

Catering on JFK-CDG is "poor" not so much in quality, but in choice. Sure, you can eat in the lounge before, but there for the main dishes the quality is actually poor. Or you just do what I often do: stuff yourself on Foie Gras, which is on the starters menu ;-) They don't have Sauternes or other adequate wines to go with it (in the CDG lounge they do), but still OK. But on those days where you take AF 23, which leaves early, and you are on NYC body clock, you may deliberately choose to have a real dinner at more or less normal dinner time - which is then necessarily on board the plane - and forego some sleep. For those scenarios, the choice is quite limited. I remember how last itme I was happy with two orders of Foie Gras, and then on board just wanted a dessert before going to sleep (that was the 7pm departure on the A380). Desserts in the lounge were not interesting (ice cream, and some cake of the day). ON board it was higher quality (some lemon tart), but no other choice available, which I found poor.