FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   French pilot strike, 6-11 May? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1966956-french-pilot-strike-6-11-may.html)

jiph Apr 25, 2019 6:21 pm

French pilot strike, 6-11 May?

We're scheduled to fly to France in two weeks and were wondering about the proposed strike by the SNPL
https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/les-g...i-1680160.html

Do people think this is happening? If so, is it better to be flying partner metal to CDG instead of AF?

offvoice Apr 26, 2019 6:20 am

Originally Posted by jiph (Post 31037762)
We're scheduled to fly to France in two weeks and were wondering about the proposed strike by the SNPL
https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/les-g...i-1680160.html

Do people think this is happening? If so, is it better to be flying partner metal to CDG instead of AF?

The article (thanks for sharing as I'm due to fly aroud that date as well :) ) mentions two different events :

4th & 5th of May : the so-called Yellow Jackets are planing to interfere with airport operations, especially in Orly. I take it that you should arrive at the airport early, but except delays, I wouldn't see why flights would be cancelled.

The other one, from May the 6th to the 11th, is a pilot strike, much more likely to affect AF's operations. If you are given the choice to book on non-AF metal and flying in or outbound between those dates, I'd recommend to do so. Do note that while the French Pilot Union sent its "letter of intention" for this strike, AF website doesn't mention it yet. Since it is quite close, they usually have a pop-in on their website saying that you can postpone your flight at no cost, but I don't see it as of today : could be that talks are still ongoing.

AurelAF96 Apr 26, 2019 8:06 am

Be careful the RER B is not working between Bourg la reine and Massy Palaiseau during this week-end (4 and 5 of May). So no train services to Orly, only the OrlyBus is working.

The gilets jaunes want to join Orly by the train, but they don't know that is not working so their will be a lot of people in the Orlybus, so best advice take a uber

jiph Apr 30, 2019 7:35 am

Pilot strike has been postponed to 14-19 May.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...is-815706.html

andrewesque Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

I am on a JFK-CDG flight during the (new) affected time period, on AF 11 to be exact. It's the outbound leg of a two-week trip. I suppose at this stage I have two questions if anyone might be able to help:

1. Is there any sense of how likely I am to be affected if a strike does occur? (I realize the answer is probably "no way to tell right now" but I figure I'd ask).
2. If my flight does get canceled due to the strike, are my only options alternative Air France flights, or are Delta and KLM flights also options? This is a simple New York-Paris origin-destination trip.

Zarmakuizz Apr 30, 2019 8:31 am

1) You were correct in your guess.
2) Air France will likely rebook you on another maintained flight the same day, or on partner options: Delta (to keep a flight departing from CDG), KLM (if your whole trip doesn't start from CDG anyway), or even Alitalia and Virgin are possibilities at that point.

andrewesque Apr 30, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks Zarmakuizz! To clarify, I'm originating from JFK (my return flight from CDG to JFK is two weeks later at the beginning of June). I think there are 4-5 nonstops to CDG and to AMS between AF, Delta, or KLM, so hopefully my options aren't too bad.

I realize now that my parents who will be flying out of LAX to join me in Paris will also be affected by the strike should it happen on the indicated dates. If a strike is announced and flights become eligible for change, there's no reason to not go ahead and call with a preferred option, is there?

There are only 2 nonstops both on AF metal from LAX-CDG; if they have to connect, I think they'd prefer to connect in Amsterdam vs. a US hub (it seems easier to deal with a misconnect once you're already in Europe, plus I will (hopefully) already be in Paris so it'd be easier because of time zones.)

Zarmakuizz Apr 30, 2019 8:58 am

If flights are eligible for a change, you will get a link to change your flight directly. Any option not available through such link might be interesting to get by calling, even though the Customer Service lines are surely overbusy in case of strikes.

andrewesque Apr 30, 2019 10:46 am

Gotcha. Well I'll hope for the best!

brunos May 1, 2019 8:27 am

Seen from very far away: this looks like the pilots putting some pressure on the government regarding a proposed general law about transports and mobility.. It sounds more like a warning and the law is in its early stage. Not sure if AF pilots are ready to start a damaging strike on such a national "union representativity" issue. And probably not at this early stage.

But locals might have a more informed feeling.

Snick May 1, 2019 11:31 pm

Sounds like the annual Spring AF strike. They always come up with something new to whine about. Seems like French pilots don't want to be under the same industry branch (or whatever they call it). That makes sense though. More categories, more unions and more strikes. Poor execs trying to manage this company.
Anyway, I'm *flying* AF69 LAX-CDG J on 05/15. Let's see if the stars align.

Goldorak May 2, 2019 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Snick (Post 31058589)
Sounds like the annual Spring AF strike.

This is not an AF strike, and this is not related to a disagreement with an AF specific internal issue. This is a call or a threat for strike from the main pilot union in France (SNPL). So it may concern all pilots affiliated to this union, whatever the airline. AF is of course concerned, but not only.

andrewesque May 9, 2019 7:45 am

No SNPL pilot strike next week after all: le SNPL obtient ce qu'il souhaitait et lève son préavis de grève nationale ("the SNPL obtains what it wanted and cancels its national strike notice"). Sounds like their concerns were addressed at least at this stage.

brunos May 10, 2019 2:55 am

Originally Posted by andrewesque (Post 31083053)
No SNPL pilot strike next week after all: le SNPL obtient ce qu'il souhaitait et lève son préavis de grève nationale ("the SNPL obtains what it wanted and cancels its national strike notice"). Sounds like their concerns were addressed at least at this stage.

That is good news. But there was a French ATC strike on May 9.
Some of my family got impacted (cancellation) on a domestic flight. CX261 departed with 1.5h delay (despite arriving early in CDG). How extensive was the strike impact (cancellation/delays)? AF pre-strike flight announcements are usually very optimistic.and I am wondering for potential future ATC strikes over the summer.

Porcepic May 10, 2019 3:28 am

It was not really an ATC strike but a general strike across the public sector, including ATC. The difference is important as ATC strikes have generally more impact (more ppl on strike in the ATC sector).

Regarding cancellations, AF is not optimistic/pessimistic in its announcements: it is just following the Authority’s instructions to ensure a so-called minimum service (which is a more complex concept that it sounds: the goal is that every flight that is not cancelled ahead should be able to fly on the day of the strike, which obviously can lead to superfluous preventive cancellations… and eventually no delay if there is not as much ppl on strike as expected).