Changing destination of AF ticket

Old Apr 20, 19, 10:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Changing destination of AF ticket

Hi Flyertalk,

I booked a LHR-YUL ticket on AF. The ticket conditions state:

Change before departure of the 1st flight:
Allowed at no charge
I spoke to an agent on the telephone and she confirmed that it would be possible to change destinations (I used the example of doing LHR-LAX instead) later if I needed to. When I try to change the booking on airfrance.co.uk, it's only listing alternative airports in the UK and Canada. Presumably, this is just a website limitation and I do not need to worry (and can call the call centre to make the change to a US destination)? Or has something gone very badly wrong?

Thanks for any advice you might have!
cauchy is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:49 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,945
The fare rule you are quoting is for a change of date or time, not for a change of destination. Of course you may change also the destination, but there will be likely a repricing of the ticket.
And, yes, this will likely have to be done by phone with an agent.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 2:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Posts: 307
....destinations usually are clustered by country or continent if you do open jaws. My guess is there will be limits to which destinations you can change, unless your ticket is fully refundable (you basically give back the original and buy something else)..
atflyer is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,NBO,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 114
Depending on the fare bucket, you can sometimes change the country as well (always over the phone) but a trick would be to add a stopover where you want to actually stop and stop your journey there.

Exemple i had a few months ago:

Return leg traveling from NBO to LHR, direct KQ on AF purchased ticket : I needed to go to Dubai for a day first, and arrive at CDG.

they provided a repriced ticket NBO-DXB-CDG at 1800Ä (in Y!) but repriced ŗ NBO-DXB-CDG-LHR at 350Ä (magic of yield I guess). I just didnít catch the CDG-LHR leg.

two comments though :
  • I believe itís easier to do this on outbound than inbound (if you donít catch the last leg of your inbound flight, Iím not 100% sure it doesnít have any kind of implications for your outbound flight (except if you purchase it on AF Italy, which need to provide tickets compliant with Italian laws that wonít allow to cancel outwards tickets if you didnít fly your entire onward ticket - but please check carefully beforehand).
  • If you are Platinum, do this offer the phone with them, they are very efficient.

Hope it helps, let us know!
offvoice is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Posts: 307
Originally Posted by offvoice View Post
  • I believe it’s easier to do this on outbound than inbound (if you don’t catch the last leg of your inbound flight, I’m not 100% sure it doesn’t have any kind of implications for your outbound flight (except if you purchase it on AF Italy, which need to provide tickets compliant with Italian laws that won’t allow to cancel outwards tickets if you didn’t fly your entire onward ticket - but please check carefully beforehand).
Usually only dropping the last segment of your ticket works, if you drop an intermediate segment the airline cancels the rest and you loose any subsequent segment of your ticket. Interesting that Italian law forbids this. The Dutch Consumer union tries a lawsuit to AF/KLM to arrange the same. But for now, dropping anything else as dropping the last segment makes you loose the remainder of your ticket.
atflyer is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,NBO,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
Usually only dropping the last segment of your ticket works, if you drop an intermediate segment the airline cancels the rest and you loose any subsequent segment of your ticket. Interesting that Italian law forbids this. The Dutch Consumer union tries a lawsuit to AF/KLM to arrange the same. But for now, dropping anything else as dropping the last segment makes you loose the remainder of your ticket.
Yes, I found this "loophole" thanks tio the folks from Flight-report. Here is an extract from their term of carriage :

You can buy tickets "from Italy, France, from Europe leaving from: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Portugal, United Kingdom, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, as well as from Brazil, Canada, Japan, South Africa, Thailand, the United States of America and Venezuela"

And the following will apply

"The fare is applicable for a ticket used fully, in sequential order for the specified journey and on the specified dates. As outlined in the General Conditions of Carriage, any non-compliant use noticed on the day of travel may incur an additional fixed-rate fee at the airport for the amount of: Ä125 on short-haul flights (metropolitan France and Corsica), Ä250 for a medium-haul flight in the Economy cabin, Ä500 for a medium-haul flight in the Business cabin, Ä500 for a long-haul flight in the Economy or Premium Economy cabin, Ä1500 for a long-haul flight in the Business cabin and Ä3000 for a long-haul flight in the La PremiŤre cabin (or the equivalent in the local currency.)
By way of derogation from the paragraph above, for passengers with Air France tickets purchased in Italy through www.airfrance.it or by means of Air France ticket offices, travel agencies or Air France call center, the following applies.
Such a passenger is not required to pay an additional fee due to a new calculation and any administrative costs if you inform Air France that you cannot, for any reason, use the ticket for that flight and still want to use the ticket for additional routes or, in the case of multi-destination trip, the return routes.
Such communication must take place within 24 hours after the departure time of the first unused route of the outward flight or, if the departure time of the return flight is within 24 hours of unused flight, at least 2 hours before departure of the return flight by calling our Call Center at +39 0238591272. In the absence of such notice, such passenger will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the preceding paragraph."
offvoice is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:47 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Thank you everyone for the replies, including the useful tips and tricks!

It looks like this is going to be a real pain to sort out. An AF agent (via Facebook) is now telling me "your ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable." But the "My Bookings" part of airfrance.co.uk tells a very different story:



In principle this problem should be fixable - I've got screenshots and emails that are unambiguous. But I fear the reality might be quite different. Where would be a good place to start?
cauchy is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:04 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,945
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies, including the useful tips and tricks!

It looks like this is going to be a real pain to sort out. An AF agent (via Facebook) is now telling me "your ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable." But the "My Bookings" part of airfrance.co.uk tells a very different story:



In principle this problem should be fixable - I've got screenshots and emails that are unambiguous. But I fear the reality might be quite different. Where would be a good place to start?
it seems you have V and N fares. Those are not fully flexible fares usually, but there are of course some exceptions. The screenshots play in you favor. Only AF can sort this out for you.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:02 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,208
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
In principle this problem should be fixable - I've got screenshots and emails that are unambiguous. But I fear the reality might be quite different. Where would be a good place to start?
A good place to start? Well, probably NOT Facebook.
CALL Air France!
ijgordon is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:10 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,511
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

it seems you have V and N fares. Those are not fully flexible fares usually, but there are of course some exceptions. The screenshots play in you favor. Only AF can sort this out for you.
Indeed, checking the fare rules in expertflyer shows this is non-changeable, non-refundable ticket, so the screenshot seems to be wrong.

Search:Departing LHR on 04/23/19 for YUL
Fare basis code VHUP2SBN
Flying AF
Routing via North Atlantic
CHANGES

ANY TIME
CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
CHANGE RESTRICTIONS MAY BE WAIVED FOR
DEATH/ILLNESS OF PASSENGER / TRAVELLING COMPANION
OR IMMEDIATE FAMILY AS EVIDENCED BY A DEATH /
MEDICAL CERTIFICATE.

ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
REFUND RESTRICTIONS MAY BE WAIVED FOR DEATH OF
THE PASSENGER / TRAVELLING COMPANION OR IMMEDIATE
FAMILY AS EVIDENCED BY A DEATH CERTIFICATE OR
ILLNESS OF PASSENGER / TRAVELLING COMPANION WHICH
PREVENTS TRAVEL WITHIN THE VALIDITY OF THE TICKET
-------------------------------------------------
REFUNDS ARE NOT PERMITTED OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF
VALIDITY OF THE TICKET IN ACCORDANCE WITH OUR
CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE
--------------------------------------------------
TAXES AND SURCHARGES
UNUSED GOVERNMENT AND AIRPORT TAXES WILL BE
REFUNDED. CARRIER IMPOSED SURCHARGES/YQ WILL NOT
BE REFUNDED
Ditto is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:35 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Indeed, checking the fare rules in expertflyer shows this is non-changeable, non-refundable ticket, so the screenshot seems to be wrong.
Thanks for this - much appreciated. I booked this via the 'time to think' option and the email they sent me is very clear that it's changeable, and my position is that I've relied on this. Let's see what AF ends up doing (ultimately, it's either change the ticket or we go down the mis-selling path, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible!).
cauchy is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:31 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 11,379
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Thanks for this - much appreciated. I booked this via the 'time to think' option and the email they sent me is very clear that it's changeable, and my position is that I've relied on this. Let's see what AF ends up doing (ultimately, it's either change the ticket or we go down the mis-selling path, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible!).
I assume that you still want to do what you stated in your initial post, change the destination from YUL to some other NA point.
I don't think that your screenshot implies that it can be done at no charge. Maybe your email is more explicit but a "change" is usually date/time as pointed out by Goldorak.

There seems to be an obvious AF IT error. But you only give a printscreen of the top part of the fare conditions. Below this, AF states that Modifications may require the payment of a fare difference in addition to the above change fee. They also give the fare code .(VHUP2SBN) which would be the contractual details. I guess that you only paid some EUR300 for that ticket. But they could easily argue that the repricing to a CDG-LAX would be expensive even with a zero change fee.
brunos is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:01 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I assume that you still want to do what you stated in your initial post, change the destination from YUL to some other NA point.
I don't think that your screenshot implies that it can be done at no charge. Maybe your email is more explicit but a "change" is usually date/time as pointed out by Goldorak.

There seems to be an obvious AF IT error. But you only give a printscreen of the top part of the fare conditions. Below this, AF states that Modifications may require the payment of a fare difference in addition to the above change fee. They also give the fare code .(VHUP2SBN) which would be the contractual details. I guess that you only paid some EUR300 for that ticket. But they could easily argue that the repricing to a CDG-LAX would be expensive even with a zero change fee.
I wasn't expecting to avoid a fare difference when changing destinations - just no further change fee. The LHR-LAX fare would be significantly less than what I paid for LHR-YUL, and of course, no refund of the difference would be expected.
cauchy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread