A330 retrofit

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 19, 12:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mirk
Wiki Link
Air France A330-200 Mods

Air France is refurbishing the cabin of its A330-200 fleet. Business Class configuration will remain 2-2-2.

From Air France:
Air France unveils its new long-haul travel cabins exclusively available on board its Airbus A330s. The company offers a new travel experience in its Business (36 seats), Premium Economy (21 seats) and Economy (167 seats) cabins. 15 aircraft will be completely redesigned by 2020 thanks to a global investment of 140 million euros.
Link to Press Release: https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/n...rd-airbus-a330
Master long haul new seats thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...formation.html

F-GZCA Done (has WiFi)
F-GZCB in maintenance in CGK since Dec 3.
F-GZCC Done
F-GZCD (scheduled for March 2020)
F-GZCE (scheduled for February 2020)
F-GZCF Done (has WiFi)
F-GZCG Done
F-GZCH (scheduled for February 2020)
F-GZCI Done (has WiFi)
F-GZCJ now in BOD since Dec 7 for retrofit
F-GZCK Done (has WiFi but doesn't work as of 6 AUG)
F-GZCL Done
F-GZCM Done (has WiFi but doesn't work as of 6 AUG)
F-GZCN (scheduled for December 2019)
F-GZCO Done - has WiFi.
9/15 completed (60%), 2 in progress

Last update: Dec 8, 2019

Business Class Seatmap

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 19, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Mirk View Post
I've had access to the planning of retrofit for each plane so I've added the expected month they are supposed to get the new seats for the remainder of the fleet.
Thanks a lot. It confirms they are running late. And with a significant number of planes pushed at the end of the planning, further delays are possible.
Mirk likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Thanks a lot. It confirms they are running late. And with a significant number of planes pushed at the end of the planning, further delays are possible.
Yep. The schedule came with a warning in that sense. Also, it seems that the plane currently in CGK should return soon with the new seats.
bodory and Goldorak like this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I had the new seats recently on IAH-CDG. This is what I did like:
  • I had a reasonably good sleep on it
  • excellent screen
  • Little storage box under the screen
  • better than NEV4
  • privacy divider at face level
This is what I didn’t like:
  • 2-2-2
  • no real place to place a glass or cup, although you could use the lid of the storage box with some risk
  • the storage box is too small for laptops and ipads
  • storage on the side can hold a magazine or book at best, or an iPad, if you don’t mind it could be launched into the cabin during turbulence
  • Visible stains on the the seat cushions
  • When leaning on the collapsible armrest, it descended all by itself without pushing the button
  • quite narrow ottoman (foot box) separated by a flimsy divider with your neighborhood which led to the following
  • accidentally having physical leg contact with my seat neighbor a few times in sleep position (Ultra Awkward that!)
  • not enough toilets, and people going through the front curtain and returning with an annoyed expression on their face during the entire flight because the toilet there isn’t accessible.

All in all: meh....

On a side note. Surprisingly, best ever salmon dish I had on a flight ever.
Macaron54 likes this.

Last edited by Zembla; Nov 3, 19 at 6:20 am
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
accidentally having physical leg contact with my seat neighbor a few times in sleep position (Ultra Awkward that!)
That can be interesting sometimes :-p ... (just kidding of course).
Old Nov 30, 19, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
F-GZCC has flown today (30/11) a CGK-CGK flight, so very likely a test flight after maintenance. So we can guess it will return soon to the home base and to service. Here is the path of this test flight. Funny

Also, F-GZCL is still not back to service. It is in BOD for 1.5 month now. This is very long. The other aircrafts stayed max one month in BOD.

Last edited by Goldorak; Nov 30, 19 at 5:18 pm
Old Dec 2, 19, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
F-GZCC has flown today (30/11) a CGK-CGK flight, so very likely a test flight after maintenance. So we can guess it will return soon to the home base and to service.
F-GZCC has flown today back home !!
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

F-GZCC is now back to service. It is in flight to Lagos at the time I am posting
F-GZCB is currently flying to CGK It took off from CDG 2 hrs ago under AF374V. We can guess it will be the same as for CC : 3 months of heavy maintenance
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:28 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Flew the retrofitted A330 in Economy for the first time yesterday. Overall a very good ride, compared to the miserable experience I had on a 772 last week. Leg room was very good for an AF economy seat, as well as the recline. I miss the old seat padding though, as the new one is harder, but still does the job. My screen was unresponsive and got stuck for quite a long time. The purser rebooted it and it worked again but still very slow and got frozen from time to time. Wifi was good (pretty much the same as DL) and got full texting coverage throughout the flight. I did hear complaints about the only restroom in Business, and towards the flight end, the forward economy cabin was a bit crowded with people coming from the front trying to use the restrooms there.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
I did hear complaints about the only restroom in Business, and towards the flight end, the forward economy cabin was a bit crowded with people coming from the front trying to use the restrooms there.
That, and the awkward positioning of your legs with physical contact with your seat neighbor practically inevitable, are the new A330 J cabin biggest flaws.
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
Flew the retrofitted A330 in Economy for the first time yesterday. Overall a very good ride, compared to the miserable experience I had on a 772 last week. Leg room was very good for an AF economy seat, as well as the recline. I miss the old seat padding though, as the new one is harder, but still does the job. My screen was unresponsive and got stuck for quite a long time. The purser rebooted it and it worked again but still very slow and got frozen from time to time. Wifi was good (pretty much the same as DL) and got full texting coverage throughout the flight. I did hear complaints about the only restroom in Business, and towards the flight end, the forward economy cabin was a bit crowded with people coming from the front trying to use the restrooms there.
Although the 777 aisles are narrower, I prefer their 777s.
The Y seats on the A330 recline TOO MUCH.
Old Dec 8, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat/LT Gold
It looks like GZCL is flying CDG-ORD today.
Old Dec 8, 19, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by JMontpelier View Post
It looks like GZCL is flying CDG-ORD today.
Indeed, it was ferried back to CDG on the 7th and flew almost immediately a round trip to COO and now to ORD. And it has been replaced the same day (07/12) in BOD by GZCJ.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE
Have flown 3x in Classe Affaires the retrofit A332 and have mixed impressions.
Good:
- Nice screen
- Decent storage
- Big washroom w/ window in J
- Comfortable in bed mode
Not-so-good:
- Quirky IFE (had to be reset twice on one flight, once another)
- Odd shoulder belt
- Cheepish / flimsy bits (reading light broken on one flight, stained seats, plastic bits didn't close on another)
- Only one washroom (other, nearer cockpit, reserved to crew)
All in all an improvement, but not quite as nice as DL new suites or AF "best" J upgrades

Search this Thread