Seeking advice/reassurances about bag transfer in CDG

Old Apr 13, 19, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Seeking advice/reassurances about bag transfer in CDG

Hi everyone. So, this topic will probably seem silly, but I mostly travel with a (large) backpack, carried on as much as possible. I don't think my checked luggage has been delayed many times in my life, but considering how very rarely I check it, and that it's still happened, I tend to worry about lost bags. I haven't flown AF or transferred through CDG often. But in December 2010 I was traveling with a friend to Bamako, her transfer after AF flight from LAX was shorter than mine at CDG but not impossible, then due to the terrible European snowstorms in 2010, our flight to Bamako was delayed by many hours. I carried my bag, but her checked bag didn't make it with us to Bamako, even with that extra time. I waited with her at airport until 4AM, but travel plans meant we had to eventually continue our trip, and she had to pay a lot to have the bag brought to us elsewhere in Mali about a week later.

So, the actual question. I'm in New York, and have a long work trip coming up in Burkina Faso, but as a freelancer I will be fronting the cheapest economy ticket ... no direct flights. The trip is long enough that I will need multiple full-size liquid toiletries, so I must check my bag. Which terrifies me! I should be able to pad my schedule in Ouaga to hopefully receive a delayed bag within a few days, but...ugh.

These tickets all cost the same:
1) CDG layover 2.5 hours
2) CDG layover 4.5 hours (or more! several options)
3) land ORY 9AM on a Thursday, 6.5 hours to transfer to CDG (so basically like 2 direct flights)

I know the ORY-CDG transfer sounds completely insane, just for the sake of seeing my bag. I'd have to go through immigration plus pay to get to the other airport, & it's barely enough time to meet a friend for a bite. But...what if I sit around CDG for a long boring layover and my bag STILL doesn't get on the next flight?

Or...just check in a foldable bag containing only toiletries as I did when I flew the first week of the liquids ban, so I can carry my backpack?

What's most people's experiences with the reliability of transferring checked bags through CDG on AF? Thank you!

Last edited by skewedstyle; Apr 13, 19 at 1:52 am
Old Apr 13, 19, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
My advice : seatback and relax
delayed bags can indeed happen but this very rare. Your option 1) is perfectly fine. And if there are really a few items that you absolutely need, just have them in a small carryon.
paris1000 and skewedstyle like this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: FB, SPG, AccorHotels, Hertz, Avis
I can only support Goldorak here, the probability of lost/delayed luggage is very small. I have transited in CDG a lot over the last 4 years without a single incident. Compared to a couple of delayed bags the years before on other airlines that seems good to me. Statistically not relevant of course
skewedstyle likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I'm transferring in CDG now, my bag probably sitting on a trolley out there in the cold, so this could be tempting fate...

Baggage transfer at CDG is very good these days so you really should not worry. I used to pray that my luggage was delayed on trips to Japan so that AF would have to arrange for delivery to my hotel and I didn't have to lug the heavy thing up/down stairs in the middle of rush hour. It happened twice and it was perfect.
skewedstyle likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole View Post
I used to pray that my luggage was delayed on trips to Japan so that AF would have to arrange for delivery to my hotel and I didn't have to lug the heavy thing up/down stairs in the middle of rush hour. It happened twice and it was perfect.
Haha, great reasoning. It's like when you have to have your bag gate-checked which just means you don't have to lift it up to the compartment or wait for people to move so you can get it out again, and you still get it back immediately rather than waiting for the carousel.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! Was just a bit wary since that previous problem involved the exact same combo of AF, CDG, flying from the US to elsewhere in West Africa...even though it was quite a few years ago and during extreme weather issues. It's also entirely possible that while I wait for my contract, the 2.5 hour transfer will sell out, so I may have to pad my bag transfer to 4.5 hours anyway .

Last edited by skewedstyle; Apr 19, 19 at 4:56 pm

Search this Thread