Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG 2F - New Zone Boarding process - AF Medium-haul

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ Executive (STE+) - FB Silver (STÉ)- Lounge Key
CDG 2F - New Zone Boarding process - STE zone 3 - no more chaos?

Hello,

Following a recent trip over CDG 2F, I noticed that AF started to deploy the zone boarding (J/SP = 1-2; STE and coach: 3,4,5) for their medium-haul flights.

Does it really help to rule and get rid of the total chaos with all pax and get lices rushing at the gate?
I noticed that GA are trying hard to enforce this policy by checking the zones at the lane entrance, but still.

I think it really helps the STE as they will be part of Zone 3 to exerce their priority right after SP but before Y.
So far SP 1-2 sign show back again STE.... not really consistent

I will try to attach a picture.

Last edited by catsniper75; Feb 20, 2019 at 2:41 am Reason: picture
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Flew AF last saturday and didn't noticed that
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: FB Plat
There is already not enough space in this terminal to correctly deal with two zones for boarding, I would not expect them to be able to manage it better with 5 zones.
I would personally find a proper use of the lounges' FIDS to show information about delays (and prevent ppl from congesting the boarding area when they could have waited longer in the lounge) more valuable for STE+...
Goldorak and ticino like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by Porcepic
There is already not enough space in this terminal to correctly deal with two zones for boarding, I would not expect them to be able to manage it better with 5 zones.
I would personally find a proper use of the lounges' FIDS to show information about delays (and prevent ppl from congesting the boarding area when they could have waited longer in the lounge) more valuable for STE+...
+1
2F is often a stressful experience for boarding procedures, even for Elite Plus. And Zone Boarding is not a good solution. It adds more complication and stress.
AMS and FCO have very efficient boarding for schengen flights by enforcing the SP Line. At CDG 2F, most of the time they let everybody board at the same time than SP passengers.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
I had this experience flying CDG to Heathrow this morning from 2E (L satellite gate L25).

Very unpleasant!

Because of the crampt area around the gate there was one Sky Priority queue to approach the boarding area which then subtly split into two after going around a corner: Sky Priority Zone 1 and Sky Priority Zone 2.

Obviously most people (including me) weren't aware of this so were just following the person in front - then I noticed lots of people being turned away from the gate "No, no, you're not Zone 1, you're Zone 2....", luckily I noticed in time and checked my zone just in time to avoid embarrasment and got back up into the Zone 2 Queue... but really... The non-Priority pax were having a good laugh at all the priority people being turned away.

It certainly didn't speed anything up, just created a lot embarassment/frustration/confusion/stress - bad idea, badly implemented.

Not sure what the breakdown between one 1 and Zone 2 is... If zone 1 is limited to J passangers fair enough on long haul, but an A319?, there were only 6 on the plane when I finally boarded, so hardly worth the effort (certainly not worth annoying all the other Sky Priority passengers).

As Plat for LIfe, paying a good (but not quite full) fare behind the curtain I have to wonder who gets Zone 1?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Arrow Zoning on Long-haul OK - Medium-haul NOK - To report on SkyPriority panel ?

Originally Posted by jsfr
I had this experience flying CDG to Heathrow this morning from 2E (L satellite gate L25).

Very unpleasant!

Because of the crampt area around the gate there was one Sky Priority queue to approach the boarding area which then subtly split into two after going around a corner: Sky Priority Zone 1 and Sky Priority Zone 2.

Obviously most people (including me) weren't aware of this so were just following the person in front - then I noticed lots of people being turned away from the gate "No, no, you're not Zone 1, you're Zone 2....", luckily I noticed in time and checked my zone just in time to avoid embarrasment and got back up into the Zone 2 Queue... but really... The non-Priority pax were having a good laugh at all the priority people being turned away.

It certainly didn't speed anything up, just created a lot embarassment/frustration/confusion/stress - bad idea, badly implemented.

Not sure what the breakdown between one 1 and Zone 2 is... If zone 1 is limited to J passangers fair enough on long haul, but an A319?, there were only 6 on the plane when I finally boarded, so hardly worth the effort (certainly not worth annoying all the other Sky Priority passengers).

As Plat for LIfe, paying a good (but not quite full) fare behind the curtain I have to wonder who gets Zone 1?
It is again a dilution of the SP brand, as mentionned already on this forum. Relevant for J pax on long-haul, not at all on medium-haul flights for 3-6 mere pax.
Maybe we should report it to the SkyPriority panel app
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by catsniper75
Relevant for J pax on long-haul, not at all on medium-haul flights for 3-6 mere pax.
But does it matter if it is only for 3-6 pax on a single flight? That's not going to slow the boarding for Zone 2
A true issue is when there is no enforcement of SP at all (e.g in TLS), but this is probably fine I think!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Expérience : generally SP correctly enforced at 2F

Originally Posted by Satie

+1
2F is often a stressful experience for boarding procedures, even for Elite Plus. And Zone Boarding is not a good solution. It adds more complication and stress.
AMS and FCO have very efficient boarding for schengen flights by enforcing the SP Line. At CDG 2F, most of the time they let everybody board at the same time than SP passengers.
From my past experiences, SP boarding is properly enforced every time I am flying out from CDG 2F, both with their automated boarding gate or traditional boarding stations.

Generally a GA stands at the entrance of the SP lane.
If they are not here early to remove the coach gate lices, a loudly and proper « Non mais il y a tout ça en SkyPriority?! » or « This lane is for SkyPriority only » is sufficient to rule the lane and generally 10-15 SP pax remain 🤓.
Et les moutons seront bien gardés.

Last edited by catsniper75; Feb 23, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I wonder why everyone finds the zone boarding great with US airlines, even for domestic flights with cramped gates, but not with AF for medium- and short-haul flights

Zone 1 is for J, Ultimates, Club2000/Skipper.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Fair enough - to be clear I have no problem with the concept, Just the execution. Poor signage and mixed queueing at the beginning meaning that most of the zone2 pax ended up in zone1 and being turned away quite bruskly by the diligent gate staff.

As a result it took about 5 minutes to boards the +\- 6 zone 1 pax whilst annoying a lot of other elite pax (not not including me as I had realized just in time).

Better execution with better signage it would be great. By when they can't (certain gates) or for smaller planes it just created more disruption/délais to everyone - including the zone 1 pax....

Last edited by jsfr; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:23 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I boarded yesterday in 2F and there were 2 lanes as usual. One labeled “SkyPrio zone 1&2” and one labeled “zone 3, 4 & 5”. Surprisingly, I saw someone who had a BP with Sky Priority written on it but zone 3
Could that be for Silver members ?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Fair enough - to be clear I have no problem with the concept, Just the execution. Poor signage and mixed queueing at the beginning meaning that most of the zone2 pax ended up in zone1 and being turned away quite bruskly by the diligent gate staff.

As a result it took about 5 minutes to boards the +\- 6 zone 1 pax whilst annoying a lot of other elite pax (not not including me as I had realized just in time).

Better execution with better signage it would be great. By when they can't (certain gates) or for smaller planes it just created more disruption/délais to everyone - including the zone 1 pax....
I tend to think that the problem lies with the passengers. No disciplin, plenty try to cheat, skip lanes, etc
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Silver/ STE - Zone 3 - No SP

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I boarded yesterday in 2F and there were 2 lanes as usual. One labeled “SkyPrio zone 1&2” and one labeled “zone 3, 4 & 5”. Surprisingly, I saw someone who had a BP with Sky Priority written on it but zone 3
Silver / STE should be Zone 3 without SP, normal behavior I think.
Maybe the case you saw was a bug, a flex fare or a negotiated business fare not properly coded, a transit with higher class (W/ J/ F) on previous leg ?
Who knows.

Last edited by catsniper75; Feb 23, 2019 at 3:06 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:08 am
Original Poster

I tend to think that the problem lies with the passengers. No disciplin, plenty try to cheat, skip lanes, etc
Even the SP diluted sub-groups can be turned away and have to do the walk of shame in the chaos of CDG.
this a new era, the revenge of non-Status Y gate lices pax has started 😁
glennhaak likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: FB Gold
I didn't have zone boarding back in Déc but remember my boarding pass only remarked my Silver status, no "Sky priority" written on it. Still boarded in the priority line after the first group after showing my card, before the main Y passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.