Wiki Posts
Search

AF - we’ll be back.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
AF - we’ll be back.

We recently travelled Air France in J CDG-SXM return. Having read a number of adverse comments on this forum about ‘old planes’ it was not without some trepidation. In fact, we enjoyed every minute. Great (and plentiful) food, attentive service and comfortable seating in a plane which certainly did not look old. Although the seat did not go flat, it certainly reclined far enough to allow a comfortable sleep. I regret to say that AF left our usual carrier BA for dead. Je reviens.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Which a/c type operates the route, now?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by LY777
Which a/c type operates the route, now?
Airbus A330-200, in the old NEV4 configuration

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
We recently travelled Air France in J CDG-SXM return. Having read a number of adverse comments on this forum about ‘old planes’ it was not without some trepidation. In fact, we enjoyed every minute. Great (and plentiful) food, attentive service and comfortable seating in a plane which certainly did not look old. Although the seat did not go flat, it certainly reclined far enough to allow a comfortable sleep. I regret to say that AF left our usual carrier BA for dead. Je reviens.
Not to say that AF is a bad airline, but comparing it to the BA of 2019 you are setting the bar very low. BA has a few isolated strong points, and AF has a few isolated (very) weak points - and each of them can be making the difference for certain people to go with one or the other airline. But overall AF is the better experience in longhaul J class.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Not to say that AF is a bad airline, but comparing it to the BA of 2019 you are setting the bar very low. BA has a few isolated strong points, and AF has a few isolated (very) weak points - and each of them can be making the difference for certain people to go with one or the other airline. But overall AF is the better experience in longhaul J class.

yes it was indeed the the old configuration - but did not feel like an old plane at all. The bar was (sadly) indeed low - and I was certainly reminded of what I had been missing.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo

i usually agree with you, and I agree that both airline have weak points. But I strongly disagree with you overall assessment. On any very long flight (say over 8 or 10 hours), the seat is, by very far, the most important component. On BA i am assured to have a flat bed. Actually the window seat I get as OWE is very private and quiet. There is no way my I would take the risk of a NEV and my back would protest for weeks. The rest is marginally different on BA and AF (some better on BA some worse). And BA has improved its product recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.