Seat blocking

Old Feb 8, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Seat blocking

Hello out there,
I bought 2 tickets on AF from CDG to FCO. I paid $11 extra per ticket to pick my seats early. However, rows 3-15 are all blocked. Is there a reason?
Old Feb 8, 19, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Anns76 View Post
Is there a reason?
Yes, likely for status pax (Elite/Elite+)
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Yes, likely for status pax (Elite/Elite+)
will they release some of those seats and if they do, how long before flight?
Old Feb 9, 19, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Anns76 View Post
will they release some of those seats and if they do, how long before flight?
yes, when OLCI opens (30 hrs before flight).
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
yes, when OLCI opens (30 hrs before flight).
Is that really the case? I am not sure if all the seats are made available to all pax when OLCI opens.

I remember several situation where I was traveling with my status-less kids, and for them the seat map showed seats only after the emergency exit, while for me/my wife the front seats in the Eco cabin were wide open, including entire rows that were unoccupied during OLCI and after departure.

Even for status pax: just now I am in Y on an A319. On the OLCI seat map up to H-45 I could not pick any other seat, middle or other, in the front section. Now on board, they are all free, as are a couple of window and aisle seats. I did have a choice to move to middle seats further back.

For me the conclusion is that even at OLCI not all seats are made available to all pax. Maybe when the flight fills up the computer algos also open seats in the front to non-status pax (but then only middle seats I think), and/or maybe airport staff can overwrite the algo and place pax there.
brunos likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:04 am

I may be mistaken, but I feel like this blocked seats thing has become worse lately. I clearly remember being able to pick some seats just a couple of years ago (even if that meant paying up for them, regardless of status) and now there's just no way to do it. For instance some bulkhead Y seats on the 777, last time I had no way to select them despite being Gold and ExpertFlyer showing them ALL available. In my opinion those should be on a first come first serve basis, with the option to pay up to select them.
I can possibly be a technical issue as I've also frequently been unable to modify my seat after selecting it during the purchase process (if I go modify my reservation later on, either the seat map won't load at all, or it behaves like all seats are taken and I can't change a thing). This whole thing was definitely easier not so long ago, I don't know what happened.
Old Feb 15, 19, 4:41 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
I may be mistaken, but I feel like this blocked seats thing has become worse lately. I clearly remember being able to pick some seats just a couple of years ago (even if that meant paying up for them, regardless of status) and now there's just no way to do it. For instance some bulkhead Y seats on the 777, last time I had no way to select them despite being Gold and ExpertFlyer showing them ALL available. In my opinion those should be on a first come first serve basis, with the option to pay up to select them.
I can possibly be a technical issue as I've also frequently been unable to modify my seat after selecting it during the purchase process (if I go modify my reservation later on, either the seat map won't load at all, or it behaves like all seats are taken and I can't change a thing). This whole thing was definitely easier not so long ago, I don't know what happened.
for the bulkhead row, those are generally kept free for people who need a bassinet for a baby. imho that's why they are kept blocket until last minute
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:32 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Is that really the case? I am not sure if all the seats are made available to all pax when OLCI opens.

I remember several situation where I was traveling with my status-less kids, and for them the seat map showed seats only after the emergency exit, while for me/my wife the front seats in the Eco cabin were wide open, including entire rows that were unoccupied during OLCI and after departure.

Even for status pax: just now I am in Y on an A319. On the OLCI seat map up to H-45 I could not pick any other seat, middle or other, in the front section. Now on board, they are all free, as are a couple of window and aisle seats. I did have a choice to move to middle seats further back.

For me the conclusion is that even at OLCI not all seats are made available to all pax. Maybe when the flight fills up the computer algos also open seats in the front to non-status pax (but then only middle seats I think), and/or maybe airport staff can overwrite the algo and place pax there.
Indeed, seats at the front of the cabin are available for FB Gold and up only (and presumably other ST E+)
Old Feb 19, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
I may be mistaken, but I feel like this blocked seats thing has become worse lately. I clearly remember being able to pick some seats just a couple of years ago (even if that meant paying up for them, regardless of status) and now there's just no way to do it.
I also have the feeling something has recently changed. For example, on several bookings, it looks that once you choose a seat of a certain category, you can't select another type of seat afterhands (e.g. once you have chosen a Plus seat you are stuck with a Plus seat). I understand this may be an annoying choice from the airline's perspective when it involves a refund, but when this selection is made for free it should be possible and it even sometimes make sense for the passenger (e.g. to select a "normal" seat with a free middle seat instead of a "yellow" seat with no other pro than to be in front of the cabin).
Klems likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Porcepic View Post
I also have the feeling something has recently changed. For example, on several bookings, it looks that once you choose a seat of a certain category, you can't select another type of seat afterhands (e.g. once you have chosen a Plus seat you are stuck with a Plus seat). I understand this may be an annoying choice from the airline's perspective when it involves a refund, but when this selection is made for free it should be possible and it even sometimes make sense for the passenger (e.g. to select a "normal" seat with a free middle seat instead of a "yellow" seat with no other pro than to be in front of the cabin).
This problem is not new. It exists for at least 18 months. I remember some bookings Y long haul where I had selected a seat plus or "seat duo" or "seat at the front of the cabin" and it was impossible to change it on-line (as platinum, those seats were free). Only way to change it was to call the PSL.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
This problem is not new. It exists for at least 18 months. I remember some bookings Y long haul where I had selected a seat plus or "seat duo" or "seat at the front of the cabin" and it was impossible to change it on-line (as platinum, those seats were free). Only way to change it was to call the PSL.
have you tried using the KLM site instead ? AF site only allows me to move within the same row, but in the KLM site I can choose any seat.
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by toastedcafe View Post
have you tried using the KLM site instead ? AF site only allows me to move within the same row, but in the KLM site I can choose any seat.
Thanks. I don't have the problem at the moment (no Y booking long-haul), but I keep this in mind for next time.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: UX Gold - SkyTeam Elite Plus, Priority Pass
Medium-haul AF - Seat at the front - Gold/Plat, STE+ , flex

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
Indeed, seats at the front of the cabin are available for FB Gold and up only (and presumably other ST E+)
Experience-based (Flex and STE+)
I confirm that in addition to FB Gold/Plat, other STE+ and AF flex fare have access to the front of
the cabin on medium-haul flight, before and after OLCI opens.

Search this Thread