Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressed with the new Air France Economy service!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Impressed with the new Air France Economy service!

You may know me from the BA forum where I regularly complain about the falling BA’s standards. I am also a Platinum AF member and regularly fly Y for work anf pleasure both in Shorthaul and Longhaul. I have flown from CDG to TUN and back this week end and tried the new Y catering and I was impressed.
The food comes in a bag (like those you get in Business Class on KLM Cityhopper). My morning flight to Tunis consisted of a Mango Smoothy, an almond drink with Banana and Cinnamon, some granolas and a bread with Jam. Everything was tasty and fresh. On the way back which was an evening flight the food consisted of a Tuna sandwich, cold green soup, a small chocolate cake and slices of fresh apples. It was excellent. Had a chat with the flight attendants in the galley and they told me the food offering was selected after several trials on a specific route (they mentioned Stockholm). And I have even seen them keeping 3 bags for themselves. Talking about Joon, they said all routes will revert to full service in Economy. Talked about BA‘s BoB, they were suprised BA did that move. They also said BoB will never appear on AF.

And generally speaking I find the food of better quality in Y on AF. It always has fresh fruits and the bread is usually of good quality. Flight attendants are becoming more pleasant and do mot hesistate to top you up on drinks (BA‘s service on shorthaul Y is non existent and on longhaul it has become procedural).

And on my last trip to Dakar last week, I Was happy to see those new eye shades with different exotic patterns and the AF logo.

All in all, I feel AF is becoming one of the best on Europe. Flying AF has a premium feel to it and their marketing is doing a great job with all those branded stuff you can buy at the lounges, the pillows, the new Y longhaul seats on the A330, the headrests, the ads, etc.

What do you think?

Evening Y meal (TUN-CDG)

AF new Y breakast (CDG-TUN)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I agree, I find that Air France economy service is above average. At the moment I think KLM is even better. Instead of going to crap, like BA, AF have gone for quality. Having said that, the food service of my business class flights to Moscow back in the autumn resembled a school dinner. So I am in the odd position of pronouncing that AF economy is better than AF business in Europe!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
I agree, I find that Air France economy service is above average. At the moment I think KLM is even better. Instead of going to crap, like BA, AF have gone for quality. Having said that, the food service of my business class flights to Moscow back in the autumn resembled a school dinner. So I am in the odd position of pronouncing that AF economy is better than AF business in Europe!
I agree. But both carriers are stepping up their game. KLM is investing a lot on their catering, which was also necessary. I think they offer one of the best short and long haul products Y products. The service and atmosphere on board is always SO good. It’s like coming home. Short haul J is improved as well, but I do really think they they still lack good catering on the long haul J product. It is all SO no nonsense Dutch. The food in J isn’t groundbreaking, mediocre I would say. Not really bad but certainly not good like Qatar and Air France.

Speaking of, I always liked their catering. It doesn’t have to be complicated but I am a sucker for a well made, good quality croissant and cup of coffee on a short haul morning flight. Hop! and AF offer that and it is really good! On long haul Y, AF isn’t better than KLM, they lack personality. The same can be said of J long haul but the food is really much better than KLM. Better presentation, just more exclusive. I saw the other day that KLM had “hutspot” as a dish on long haul J. Sorry, it is Dutch uncomplicated farmer-food and while OK in Y, in J it is truly unacceptable when paying a high fare. FYI it’s mashed potatoes with carrots and onions with some meat. It’s OK to refer to Dutch heritage which they do anyway a lot, but the food in long haul J needs to improve. AF is always doing a great job. Love their dishes.
That being said, many of the flight attendants on long haul J, the experienced ones, are in general not doing a difference. Once flying in J from JFK to CDG, I woke up 30 min before landing and I asked for a cup of coffee and a croissant (I do understand it’s too late for a full breakfast). She said no. I said: come on: it’s 30 min? She walked away rolling eyes and returned with a half cup of lukewarm coffee and a croissant. But her body language told me: you are the most annoying pax of the last 30 years. That will never ever happen on a KLM flight. It is simply not good enough when paying a high fare. That behavior is for Y, not for J. No even not Y. Just act normal.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: FB Gold
I agree. I mentioned in another thread, but I don't mind paying a bit more for AF because their Y is just better in both soft and hard product. On my short Hop ! flights, the attendants come around asking if anyone wants seconds on the snack and beverages. And the long-haul catering is better than LH; the champagne is a nice and appreciated touch.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL

But both carriers are stepping up their game. KLM is investing a lot on their catering, which was also necessary. I think they offer one of the best short and long haul products Y products.
I personally found KLM's Y meal over the Atlantic is too small in portion, even though I might already have grabbed a bite from the lounge before hopping on the plane.

Originally Posted by BobTL

She said no. I said: come on: it’s 30 min? She walked away rolling eyes and returned with a half cup of lukewarm coffee and a croissant. But her body language told me: you are the most annoying pax of the last 30 years. That will never ever happen on a KLM flight. It is simply not good enough when paying a high fare. That behavior is for Y, not for J. No even not Y. Just act normal.
I have never been turned down by any FA on AF. I think 30 mins is reasonable, she may just be in bad mood.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
I agree AF and KLM are good in an European context, but I do not fly many other airlines regularly (only SAS and Swiss) so I cannot really tell. To me the most important thing within Europe is the 12 kg baggage allowance. I don't really care about service.

What really disappoints me though is the large numbers of very old planes both AF and KLM still use within Europe. Air France's at least are fairly well kept on the inside so you don't really notice, but all of KLMs 18-year old 737s I've flown in the past months have been in pretty bad shape. I just flew 3 segments in brand new MAX 8 (Gol and Aerolíneas Argentinas) and it was a much much better flying experience. SAS also has some new planes so I have been choosing SAS more and more as they never weigh my hand luggage.

As far as crews go I find the KLM crews quite nice (unlike personnel at AMS) but a bit too loud and intense, I tend to prefer the French. And AF and CDG feel more elegant than KLM and AMS, and the AF lounges have much better magazines, in French which I love and understand. AF is always my first choice of the two and I will only choose KLM if it's way cheaper or has a much better schedule. I don't like transiting in AMS. All my bad airport experiences are from AMS.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:08 am

I got to experience those snack bags for the first time yesterday flying Y from CDG to JFK; that's what they give now for the pre landing snack instead of the usual sad tray we got.
There was a tiny smoothie, and small cake and a chicken/goat cheese sandwich that was actually excellent! Leaps and bounds better than the sandwich they had previously.
I'm just questioning the choice of using those paper bags; they look great but it has to be more expensive than using trays, and it's also not very ecological.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I would like to know what the KL investment in Y catering on TATL is like...was lucky to fly only in J mostly but did AMS-SFO and AMS-PVG recently. The first mentioned was disaster - one meal choice (17A), small portion. Asking for 6th beer (well if one can Heineken call beer) on a 10h long flight? Purser came down to let me know they will have to call police once we arrived because I MIGHT be drunk..funny on the flight back I was in J on the UD and he gave me whole champagne bottle on my table as thank you for being our platinum member......AMS-PVG can't tell much as I don't remember the food. Overall I find KL crew very good (I believe this was exception) but IMHO nothing beats BA.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I would like to know what the KL investment in Y catering on TATL is like...was lucky to fly only in J mostly but did AMS-SFO and AMS-PVG recently. The first mentioned was disaster - one meal choice (17A), small portion. Asking for 6th beer (well if one can Heineken call beer) on a 10h long flight? Purser came down to let me know they will have to call police once we arrived because I MIGHT be drunk..funny on the flight back I was in J on the UD and he gave me whole champagne bottle on my table as thank you for being our platinum member......AMS-PVG can't tell much as I don't remember the food. Overall I find KL crew very good (I believe this was exception) but IMHO nothing beats BA.
So did they call the police?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
No
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Could that have just been dry humour?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.