Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOP! becomes Air France HOP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, I thought that these short flights were going to be rebranded simply as Air France HOP, even though the HOP mark effectively gors away. Anyone up for doing a final Lyon-Poitiers-La Rochelle before it gets canned?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto
Actually, I thought that these short flights were going to be rebranded simply as Air France HOP, even though the HOP mark effectively gors away. Anyone up for doing a final Lyon-Poitiers-La Rochelle before it gets canned?
It has to be the most surprising route on AF's routes board Who had this idea ? Btw, I always wanted to know if the La Rochelle - Poitiers and Poitiers - La Rochelle were considered as 2 distincts segments (so 2 x 2 XP ?)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Coder33
It has to be the most surprising route on AF's routes board Who had this idea ? Btw, I always wanted to know if the La Rochelle - Poitiers and Poitiers - La Rochelle were considered as 2 distincts segments (so 2 x 2 XP ?)
No, there are others, or at least there were until not too long ago. Lyon-Le Havre-Caen is another one. And if you go further back into the 1980s you'll find some routes that by today's standards would be considered odd (Lyon – Bordeaux – Pointe-a-Pitre – Fort de France – Marseille – Mulhouse, on a 747; Paris CDG – Recife – Rio de Janeiro – Buenos Aires – Santiago de Chile – Buenos Aires – Montevideo – Rio de Janeiro – Paris CDG, also a 747; Metz-Mulhouse-Tunis, on a 727. A I'd need to look up when in the 80s they stopped stopping in Manaus on their way to Ecuador)

I have taken that LRH-LYS flight, nothing special. Just like any other flight with intermediate stops, it counts as one leg for mileage earnings.
bodory, Goldorak and Coder33 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
No, there are others, or at least there were until not too long ago. Lyon-Le Havre-Caen is another one. And if you go further back into the 1980s you'll find some routes that by today's standards would be considered odd (Lyon – Bordeaux – Pointe-a-Pitre – Fort de France – Marseille – Mulhouse, on a 747; Paris CDG – Recife – Rio de Janeiro – Buenos Aires – Santiago de Chile – Buenos Aires – Montevideo – Rio de Janeiro – Paris CDG, also a 747; Metz-Mulhouse-Tunis, on a 727. A I'd need to look up when in the 80s they stopped stopping in Manaus on their way to Ecuador)

I have taken that LRH-LYS flight, nothing special. Just like any other flight with intermediate stops, it counts as one leg for mileage earnings.
I also remember taking a LYS-SXB-CPH flight in the mid-2000s but I don't think it lasted very long.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Does anyone know if ex-HOP routes will get seat selection?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NLNO
Does anyone know if ex-HOP routes will get seat selection?
There is no advance seat selection on Air France shorthaul....
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is no advance seat selection on Air France shorthaul....
There is. Since some time already. Different parts of the cabin and seats are offered to passengers according to their FFP status.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is. Since some time already. Different parts of the cabin and seats are offered to passengers according to their FFP status.
How early does it start?

Asking as a Gold for my HOP! flight next January. But by then I'll be Platinum.

Ta!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:21 am

Hang on, which one are you talking about? In your question you mention "Air France shorthaul" (which they call "moyen courrier"). Seat reservations are possible. Howver, I believe they are not possible on flights operated by HOP.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hang on, which one are you talking about? In your question you mention "Air France shorthaul" (which they call "moyen courrier"). Seat reservations are possible. Howver, I believe they are not possible on flights operated by HOP.
I have a reservation, operated by HOP!, sold under AF codes, and for which "Seats selection at check-in" shows up on the AF website.

Looking above, hopefully by September 1st - when the last vestiges of HOP! have been purged, it should be possible to select seats in advance.

For the mainline AF shorthaul flights - how soon before the flight can seats be selected? Or is this already available from the time of booking? I hate to admit it, but it has been many, many years since I booked a shorthaul AF flight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 23, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sorry San Gottardo, but there is no advanced seat selection on AF domestic (called short haul). European flights are called medium haul (moyen courrier).
At OLCI forward seats are allocated on the basis of status and fare. But you can try to change your seat. Again the forward part of the cabin is not open to low fare/no status. But even for those, it can happen on a light-load flight or close to departure.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry San Gottardo, but there is no advanced seat selection on AF domestic (called short haul). European flights are called medium haul (moyen courrier).
At OLCI forward seats are allocated on the basis of status and fare. But you can try to change your seat. Again the forward part of the cabin is not open to low fare/no status. But even for those, it can happen on a light-load flight or close to departure.
I know that and I know that you know that I know that ;-)

The poster just above used the term short term for a European flight.

So, to make things a little clearer, here is (at least what I believe to be) the situation:
  • France domestic flights "short haul": whether operated by AF mainline jets (Airbus A318-319-320-321) or regional planes (Embraer 145, Embraer E-Jets, Canadair CRJs, etc) - no advance seat reservation
  • European flights "medium haul", operated by AF mainline jets (Airbus A318-319-320-321): advance seat selection at time of booking
  • European flights "medium haul", operated by regional planes (Embraer 145, Embraer E-Jets, Canadair CRJs, etc) - no advance seat reservation
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• European flights "medium haul", operated by AF mainline jets (Airbus A318-319-320-321): advance seat selection at time of booking
  • European flights "medium haul", operated by regional planes (Embraer 145, Embraer E-Jets, Canadair CRJs, etc) - no advance seat reservation
So, although HOP! will soon cease to exist, AIRFRANCE will continue to maintain a differentiation of their flights based on plane type, and continue to withold advance seat selection from the regional-type jets?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So, although HOP! will soon cease to exist, AIRFRANCE will continue to maintain a differentiation of their flights based on plane type, and continue to withold advance seat selection from the regional-type jets?
I have not heard anything different.

Air France (and KLM) is actually quite rubbish when it comes to flights on its regional planes, service is below mainline. No seat reservation in Y, no free neighbouring seat in Business, no pillows on board ("flight is too short" - BS). Mind you, BA also has 2-2 config in Business. Unlike LH Group or the US carriers.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But there is advance seat selection on all KL flights (Cityhopper as well as KL mainline)....and has been for years now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.