Air France upgrades online?

Old Jan 24, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
[QUOTE=brunos;30690717BTW, I am familiar with CX staff policy. The basic staff tickets (ID) is roughly 10% of the fare and can be bought in Y, PE, J or F. BUT, it is a standby ticket. There are also some expensive confirmed tickets. If you standby with a Y ID ticket, you will not be put in J. There is no practice of moving staff to a higher class when the doors close.[/QUOTE]

With CX, it is cheaper to fly confirmed regular F than ID90 standby F nowadays

On DL, all staff tickets seem to be eligible for premium class seating upon availability at the end of boarding. Staff get their seat assignment once all passengers have boarded. I am pretty sure there is priority system for seat assignments, and they start filling the premium cabins first. A flight with 3 J seats available and 2 staff passengers, both staff will get J boarding pass. On domestic flights, since J is usually full with upgraded frequent fliers that get comfort+ for free, staff often sits in the comfort+ seats left vacant by upgraded customers.

AF management hates upgrading staff as much as customers, that's perhaps the only moment where both groups are handled similarly. Staff will get upgraded only when the class of their ticket is full/overbooked. And in true AF style, I would not be surprised that opposite of what happens at DL, higher priority AF staff get their seat assigned in Y according to the rules and then lower priority staff get J seats because Y is now full. Then what happens in the plane is of course a different story. But at 379 EUR check-in upgrade for a J seat tomorrow on CDG MAD, AF staff can be sure I won't take a J seat from them
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: Many
One has to add something to the chocolate box parade: telex and WhatsApp. And that does not apply to non-rev.

Be sure a good WhatsApp recommendation to the pilot flying that day will get you a seat upfront after the door close.
And a telex from CDG to the outstation manager will get you the same before the door close.
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
With CX, it is cheaper to fly confirmed regular F than ID90 standby F nowadays
Lying ID in CX F is not cheap, but still far below the cheaspest F fare.
The big problem is getting a seat. With only six F seats and rev F, awards from all OW airlines, upgrades with miles from J, and opup because J is full, it is quite difficult to get a seat.
Old Jan 27, 19, 6:16 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Lying ID in CX F is not cheap, but still far below the cheaspest F fare.
The big problem is getting a seat. With only six F seats and rev F, awards from all OW airlines, upgrades with miles from J, and opup because J is full, it is quite difficult to get a seat.
That was a reference to the recent mistake fares Vietnam North America and Lisbon Asia
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
Well you can upgrade online. I and my wife have business class seats, but the la premiere seats are still available. So I clicked on that seat. For a flight from Paris to Singapore, it costs 237k miles to upgrade to La premiere or 1908EUR...
Old Feb 12, 19, 5:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Exactly - it read very differently from how the poster clarified/walked back the tone.
FWIW, I never noticed the "ballet" into J after door closing, but I wasn't looking for it.
Neither have I, and for the past year or so I have been keeping an eye open after reading about it on this forum. So it must be very route-specific or else I don't fly enough but I do classify for platinum both with miles and XPs so I do move around.

Btw I flew long-haul yesterday and I got to talk to a fellow countrywoman that had upgraded herself online after checking in for the previous flight. GRU-CDG was over 1000 EUR from PE. Business was almost half empty when I checked in but full on board so I guess she wasn't alone in accepting the offer.