A la Carte menu in Business?

Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
A la Carte menu in Business?

Forgive me if there's already a thread on this. I was looking at flights for September CDG-JFK and was shown several Asian (and one seafood) a la carte menu options for Business. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thank you!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JakeMorgan
Forgive me if there's already a thread on this. I was looking at flights for September CDG-JFK and was shown several Asian (and one seafood) a la carte menu options for Business. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thank you!
For free I presume? And do they detail the full menu or just give it a generic title? I know AF had something of the sort in its plans for a long time. Basically, they realised that many passengers of Asian origin do prefer "national" menus (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc) and while those are already offered on flights to the specific countries, numerous passengers from corresponding origins also fly on other routes (e.g. JFK, LAX, SFO, etc). They were thus planning to offer the possibility to pre-select those menus for all passengers, first on those routes and then more broadly in both J and P. I guess that this has now been done and that this is what you are being offered. I think this is a good idea, if still way short of the "best" book the cook concepts around.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
Yes, it appeared to be free. They offered:

"A Taste of Japan"
"Traditional Chinese"
"Korean Sensations"
"Indian Delights"

And a Thai and seafood option.

I have a screen shot if someone can help me add an attachment to a post.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Upload to imgdumper.nl and post link between [IMG]these[/IMG].
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 19, 2014 at 3:52 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
For free I presume?
Changing the meal choice from the default "Meal of the Day" to one of the other illustrated options does not add any additional charge when you advance to the payment page.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
SORRY I COMPLETELY MISREAD Irishguy28's post!!! Please ignore!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 19, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What?? That's really shocking and certainly wasn't the original idea that I was mentioned. It was all going to be "for free of course" in J and P
This thread has only ever mentioned business class....and you did ask about additional payment.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:31 am

Again, sorry, please ignore! I was on my iphone and read an earlier post wrong!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 19, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes I know: because I don't trust them and clearly rightly so! As i mentioned a few posts above: I was told about it by the person responsible for the idea and implementation a while ago (nearly 2 years) and while I and other thought it sounded like a great idea, we first checked that it would be free and the person confirmed that yes, of course it would be free in J and P although they might also decide to offer the same main meal in Y too but for a fee. I find it extremely shocking that they would renegue on that and ask for payment for what is ultimately a special meal in J (unless they are thinking of serving a giant lobster or a tin of caviar, not some pork stir fry!)
I'm not following you here. Those meals are free in J, so what's the problem ?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little confused, too!

I would have thought that any meal selection in J would be free; and that all this was was just introducing a new, advance ordering facility to enable customers to order dishes that would otherwise not be stocked on board, if they so wished.

In response to the query of whether these options were available for free or required payment, I went back to my trial booking, and the payment page did not add any fee for having selected one of these meals.

So, if there was ever any doubt about it, let's put it to rest - regardless of what meal option you may pre-order, you do not have to pay any extra for it, if you are travelling in J in Air France.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I'm not following you here. Those meals are free in J, so what's the problem ?
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm a little confused, too!

I would have thought that any meal selection in J would be free; and that all this was was just introducing a new, advance ordering facility to enable customers to order dishes that would otherwise not be stocked on board, if they so wished.

In response to the query of whether these options were available for free or required payment, I went back to my trial booking, and the payment page did not add any fee for having selected one of these meals.

So, if there was ever any doubt about it, let's put it to rest - regardless of what meal option you may pre-order, you do not have to pay any extra for it, if you are travelling in J in Air France.
Again, apologies, I simply misread an earlier post on my iphone! That is indeed exactly the point of the introduction of the new service. Sorry for any confusion above - mea culpa!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Again, apologies, I simply misread an earlier post on my iphone! That is indeed exactly the point of the introduction of the new service. Sorry for any confusion above - mea culpa!
No problem
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
No problem
I still feel a little embarrassed!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please don't be! I misread stuff all the time and thought initially I had picked something up wrong here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.