Check-in kiosk at Gare du Nord

Old Dec 17, 18, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Check-in kiosk at Gare du Nord

https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/n...e-gare-du-nord

As from December 17, 2018, in partnership with SNCF Gares & Connexions, Air France customers travelling from Paris-Charles de Gaulle will be able to check in their baggage in advance at Paris Gare du Nord. On the day of their flight, customers will be able to go directly to the boarding gate without going to the baggage drop-off counter.
Air France and SNCF are reinventing HK's Airport Express
SkyteamEP and Zembla like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
... and will never see their bags again.
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Basically, it's doing at gare du nord what they were already doing at Invalides during school holidays. And it is only for 3 months. May be they want to make a test.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:29 am
Original Poster

It is indeed a test.
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:17 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Would like to see it expanded to Gare de l'est.......although I guess there is already check-in at gare in Strasbourg so I guess it wouldn't be so much an improvement for those coming from that direction (and just add to the logistical challenge).
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/n...e-gare-du-nord

Air France and SNCF are reinventing HK's Airport Express
Except that they are still missing the Airport Express part.
I guess that it is just an experiment for the future express link. But it is only AF and bags must be deposited 30 to 8 hours before the flight.
I hope that they plan to offer the same service as HK Airport Express, namely that you can also check your bags when you take the train to go to your flight (intown check-in opens from 24h to 90min before your flight)..
Old Dec 18, 18, 5:22 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I hope that they plan to offer the same service as HK Airport Express, namely that you can also check your bags when you take the train to go to your flight (intown check-in opens from 24h to 90min before your flight)..
Well with the reliability level of the RER B, checking your bag at Gare du Nord 90 minutes before your flight sounds quite scary (both for your bag and yourself )
jsfr and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
This is very interesting, it's one hassle less at the airport itself (as long as its hassle free at Gare du Nord of course). Will try it out soon!
Old Dec 18, 18, 11:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thumbs up

30 hours before the flight at Gare du Nord? That's better than the current possibility of checking baggage at CDG in the afternoon the day prior to the flight.

AF now also offers the possibility
1) to pick-up my baggage on the carrousel at CDG and deliver it to my home, provided I have booked the service at least two days
ahead of my flight to CDG,
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...on-bagages.htm

2) to take my baggage from home and check it for flights out of CDG and some flights out of ORY
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...ge-bagages.htm

In combination, these new possibilities will greatly improve my travel experience, as I check baggage
for 99% of my flights!

Up to now, I have occasionally used eelway, which was OK, but these offers from AF are more attractive.
Zembla and af fp like this.

Last edited by JOUY31; Dec 18, 18 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
Would like to see it expanded to Gare de l'est.......although I guess there is already check-in at gare in Strasbourg so I guess it wouldn't be so much an improvement for those coming from that direction (and just add to the logistical challenge).
It will be available for sure at Gare de l'est when CDG Express will run, i.e. in 202X. Now let's just bet on what X means
Gare de l'est will be definitely a much better experience than Gare du Nord.
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
My problem with leaving my bags like 30 hours before is execution. AF or AdP are not renowned for their consistency of execution. They will train some staff and focus on execution in the first couples of weeks. Then few pax will be using the kiosk, staff will change or forget procedures and then the bag will be left somewhere....
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:08 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
30 hours before the flight at Gare du Nord? That's better than the current possibility of checking baggage at CDG in the afternoon the day prior to the flight.

AF now also offers the possibility
1) to pick-up my baggage on the carrousel at CDG and deliver it to my home, provided I have booked the service at least two days
ahead of my flight to CDG,
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...on-bagages.htm

2) to take my baggage from home and check it for flights out of CDG and some flights out of ORY
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...ge-bagages.htm

In combination, these new possibilities will greatly improve my travel experience, as I check baggage
for 99% of my flights!
Yes I agree. All this is making life a lot easier. And I can sleep an hour longer with terminal E morning departures, that's worth an investment!

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
My problem with leaving my bags like 30 hours before is execution. AF or AdP are not renowned for their consistency of execution. They will train some staff and focus on execution in the first couples of weeks. Then few pax will be using the kiosk, staff will change or forget procedures and then the bag will be left somewhere....
That could be. But if the bags are channeled into some existing procedure the moment they arrive at the airport, then this shouldn't be an issue.
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:22 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
It will be available for sure at Gare de l'est when CDG Express will run, i.e. in 202X. Now let's just bet on what X means
Gare de l'est will be definitely a much better experience than Gare du Nord.
if I may edit your statement, in the context of recent developments:
It will be available for sure at Gare de l'est when CDG Express will run, i.e. in 20XY. Now let's just bet on what X means, and worry about Y later.
bodory, Zembla, Porcepic and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Was about to post the same.
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
if I may edit your statement, in the context of recent developments:
Yes, you may

Search this Thread