Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF opening route to TBS in the summer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
AF opening route to TBS in the summer

Great move! Twice a week only (days 3 and 7 from CDG, 1 and 4 from TBS with the aircraft spending the night at TBS) but unlike most airlines , civilised timings (outbound flight leaves around 1pm and lands around 8pm, return leaves at 9am) although that's at the cost of a "wasted" night for the bird unless AF are planning something else we don't know about.

Great country and city to visit and quite hard to get to (TK has cornered most of the market along the patchy local airline, LH, SU, LO, and AZ all have a presence but not a great one, and QR and EK to the East). Flights will be in A320.

I wonder if the (formerly French) new President has something to do with the change of context!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:41 am

Great news indeed.

@orbitmic funny as you mentioned Tbilisi just recently in my thread over on the BA board...

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd love for them to return to GYD, TBS
...at least Air France seems to have heard and indeed implemented your wishes (well, at least partially)

G
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Many
Great move! Twice a week only (days 3 and 7 from CDG, 1 and 4 from TBS with the aircraft spending the night at TBS) but unlike most airlines , civilised timings (outbound flight leaves around 1pm and lands around 8pm, return leaves at 9am) although that's at the cost of a "wasted" night for the bird unless AF are planning something else we don't know about.

Great country and city to visit and quite hard to get to (TK has cornered most of the market along the patchy local airline, LH, SU, LO, and AZ all have a presence but not a great one, and QR and EK to the East). Flights will be in A320.
Fantastic news!

I wonder if the (formerly French) new President has something to do with the change of context!
She is no longer French?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:06 am

LH, SU, LO, and AZ all have a presence but not a great one
Lufthansa has a daily flight from Munich, LOT & Aeroflot both operate 2 daily flights out of Warsaw & Moscow respectively, Turkish goes up to 4 services a day during the summer whereas Alitalia abandoned the route a couple of years ago.

G
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Does anyone know when the flights will be available? Currently I only see AF flights operated by A9 or RO flights when I look for Skyteam routes.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Does anyone know when the flights will be available? Currently I only see AF flights operated by A9 or RO flights when I look for Skyteam routes.
May, I think.

Edit: tickets available as of March 31st.

AF1760 CDG TBS 13:25 20:10 320 --3---7
AF1761 TBS CDG 09:00 12:10 320 1--4---

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:40 am Reason: starting date/operational details added.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:28 am

Deleted.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:40 am Reason: double post.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bodory
She is no longer French?
I may well be wrong but I believe that she renounced her French citizenship a few years ago: she was the designated candidate for Georgian Dream in 2013 but the Electoral Commission considered her ineligible because of her dual citizenship hence my assumption that since she ran (and won) this time, she must have given up on her French passport unless the Georgian electoral law changed.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Lufthansa has a daily flight from Munich, LOT & Aeroflot both operate 2 daily flights out of Warsaw & Moscow respectively, Turkish goes up to 4 services a day during the summer whereas Alitalia abandoned the route a couple of years ago.

G
Thanks I didn't know that AZ had stopped flying the route!

Are you sure that LO has 2 flights a day?? I thought that it was not even daily (at least in the winter which is when I'm next going so of course they might have more in the summer).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:26 am

Thanks I didn't know that AZ had stopped flying the route!

Are you sure that LO has 2 flights a day?? I thought that it was not even daily (at least in the winter which is when I'm next going so of course they might have more in the summer).
They (meaning LOT) have up to 5 weekly services during the winter and, as you rightly pointed out, they normally double that up during the [IATA] summer season, apologies for the confusion.

Alitalia had 4 weekly services from Rome operated by A321, no night-stop as the aircraft arriving from Rome in the early hours would operate the 5:25AM flight back to Fiumicino the route was (sadly) discontinued back in 2015 and, funnily enough, it used to have quite a few transit passengers from Paris (AZ550 FCO-TBS operated also under AF9803).

G
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
no night-stop as the aircraft arriving from Rome in the early hours would operate the 5:25AM flight back to Fiumicino
That's unfortunately the sad destiny of TBS flights! The busiest arrival time is around 2-4am and the busiest departure time 5-6am. The big airlines do that to maximise same day connection opportunities as well as available rotations. That's what makes the AF flight so tempting (so far, the only way to get non horrid times from most places is TK via IST or even Pegasus if you dare!) as well as so surprising (the plane looks like it will spend more than 12 hours at TBS doing nothing!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Nice! TBS and Georgia, in general, is an amazing place to visit! Georgian Airways has a flight out of AMS that arrives in TBS mid-afternoon, but the equip is an old 737-700.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
the plane looks like it will spend more than 12 hours at TBS doing nothing!
An indication AF has secured a good corporate deal and/or local subsidies? Or does AF have a lot of air-frames sloshing around?

Or the result of a nice lunch with a chap from the Quai d’Orsay?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:26 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by krispy84

An indication AF has secured a good corporate deal and/or local subsidies? Or does AF have a lot of air-frames sloshing around?

TBS seems to have a similar schedule to the twice-weekly CDG-EVN
I guess they want to target the 1pm long-haul departure bank out of CDG.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by gkl
TBS seems to have a similar schedule to the twice-weekly CDG-EVN
I guess they want to target the 1pm long-haul departure bank out of CDG.
Timings certainly support XXX-CDG-TBS and vv. I’m more curious about the airframe utilisation on this route. 12 hours downtime seems a lot for a short haul a/c. How long is the a/c on the ground in EVN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.