FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Country of residence (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1944957-country-residence.html)

ywlgy Dec 10, 2018 5:04 am

Country of residence

Hi, I am filling in the API form for an upcoming US trip on AF website. I am from overseas and lives in the UK, so technically UK is my country of residence. But on AF website it says 'If you're traveling with a visa (work, student...) please enter the nationality of your passport instead of your country of residence. '

I am travelling to US with a visa. According to this I have to choose my nationality as my country of residence. This is rather strange. Anyone knows meaning behind this?

Zarmakuizz Dec 10, 2018 5:42 am

A wild guess is that your US visa is linked to your passport, and as such your passport is linked to the country that delivered it?

ywlgy Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz (Post 30518260)
A wild guess is that your US visa is linked to your passport, and as such your passport is linked to the country that delivered it?

I also have to give my nationality so they know this. I am waiting for a reply from AF CS

Often1 Dec 10, 2018 6:39 am

Citizenship and residence are not the same for many people. Indeed, the database used by IATA carriers, TIMATIC which recognizes this distinction and requires the selection of a country of residence if not the same as the county of citizenship. This is because many nations make distinctions for entry as to the two.

ywlgy Dec 10, 2018 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30518407)
Citizenship and residence are not the same for many people. Indeed, the database used by IATA carriers, TIMATIC which recognizes this distinction and requires the selection of a country of residence if not the same as the county of citizenship. This is because many nations make distinctions for entry as to the two.

True. I just don't get it why AF wants me to put my nationality as my country of residence, which clearly contradicts the meaning of 'country of residence'

brunos Dec 10, 2018 7:49 am

Country of residence is of little importance for travel to US. What matters is your passport and its visa. You will get the system confused if you enter UK as residence.
There are a few cases where country of residence might be of (limited) interest and it often confuses the system.
Just do as AF asks (passport).

Sjondorn Dec 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Before I got my green card, I always used my parent's address as my foreign address / country of residence. This is of little importance if you're on a work visa (i.e. dual-intent visa). When just visiting I used the address I lived that (even when it was a third country).

ywlgy Dec 13, 2018 3:51 am

UPDATE:
After 3 days wait, I got an reply from AF Facebook channel. And their reply is as appalling as their response efficiency. "We kindly advise you to verify this with your respective embassy or consulates." Clearly country of residence means the country that a person lives for the most of the year and pay tax. It is only AF have such requirement to put nationality as country of residence so they should know the reason behind and guide me accordingly. This response is just unacceptable.

Anyway, I did as AF asked to put nationality as country of residence.

KLouis Dec 13, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ywlgy (Post 30530414)
...{snip}...and guide me accordingly. This response is just unacceptable...

Sorry, I'll be sarcastic:. If you need guidance on how to handle such a minor issue there are two mutually exclusive ways to proceed that you can choose: a) Either you put on a yellow jacket and start demonstrating the... French way or b) you stop worrying and calm down. Here's some more help: the first alternative will likely be ineffective and you risk bodily harm and perhaps being arrested and spending a day or two in confinement. The second one will be equally ineffective, but it will help preventing a heart attack or, worst case scenario, a stroke. Really, how can you get so upset about such a minor issue? ;)

ywlgy Dec 13, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 30530897)
Sorry, I'll be sarcastic:. If you need guidance on how to handle such a minor issue there are two mutually exclusive ways to proceed that you can choose: a) Either you put on a yellow jacket and start demonstrating the... French way or b) you stop worrying and calm down. Here's some more help: the first alternative will likely be ineffective and you risk bodily harm and perhaps being arrested and spending a day or two in confinement. The second one will be equally ineffective, but it will help preventing a heart attack or, worst case scenario, a stroke. Really, how can you get so upset about such a minor issue? ;)

1. This will be my 1st visit to US and I am sure I will be questioned upon entry. Who knows this minor discrepancy will cause problem or not. I just want to make sure my trip goes as smoothly as possible.

2. I am also interested in the reason behind AF doing this. Can't we have a discussion about this at this forum?

3. Your post has no value here. So stop showing off your sarcastic humour. And thank you I have a strong heart.