AF Vs Delta in J

Old Nov 21, 18, 11:37 am
Original Poster

AF Vs Delta in J

Hi,

I have a decision to make between LAX - CDG flights:

1. Delta One in A330 J (take off 12PM)
2. Air France 777-300 in J (take off 6PM)

I prefer the 6PM take off, but the Delta flight has almost 500 less in surcharges. How do the seats compare.
Old Nov 21, 18, 11:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP
Both can be very good, but my preference would be Air France, better food and the cabin is slightly more to my liking. Experience gets much worse though when they have an equipment-change, and you end up in an angled-flat seat.
Whether better product and better timing are worth 500 bucks is up to you. To me, it wouldn't be worth it.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
AF new J seats and as mentioned earlier, better food and better alcohol (including wines)
DL I would take in Y. The J seats are fine but the early start is harder to sleep eastbound and other pax will also be restless and moving around a lot more than the AF evening flight.
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danfl44 View Post
Both can be very good, but my preference would be Air France, better food and the cabin is slightly more to my liking. Experience gets much worse though when they have an equipment-change, and you end up in an angled-flat seat.
Whether better product and better timing are worth 500 bucks is up to you. To me, it wouldn't be worth it.
Forgot to mention Delta flight was 5k more points per person (Air France flight was actually $250 per person, so $500 total).

Thanks. I'll need to call up Flying Blue now, because the Delta flight keeps coming back with a "Techincal error" when I try to finalize the booking. Waste of an extra ~10k points I transferred to Air France if I don't change it.

The late night flight does sound better though, so I'll be happy either way
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to ask, what is the risk of aircraft swap? Would AF move us to another flight or compensate us? The dates I actually wanted were the next day, but the only option was an A380, so I choose the day before it. If I get swapped into an A380 I'll be really disappointed, since I could have just flown out on the next day which I originally preferred.
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by theoracle111 View Post
Forgot to ask, what is the risk of aircraft swap?
When is your flight ?

Would AF move us to another flight or compensate us
Certainly not. Your contract is a flight between A and B in a certain class of travel. The aircraft and type of seats are never guaranteed.
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
When is your flight ?

Certainly not. Your contract is a flight between A and B in a certain class of travel. The aircraft and type of seats are never guaranteed.
On a Saturday. There are two flights that day, one a 777 and one a A380. Same with Sunday flight.

I was just curious if they were flexible with moving me to another flight. One mile at a time seemed to think I did have some recourse.

https://onemileatatime.com/airline-s...rplane-change/

TBH I'm more worried about a strike delay ! Would I be moved to another airline in that event?
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
On a Saturday. There are two flights that day, one a 777 and one a A380. Same with Sunday flight.
The day of the week is irrelevant. I asked you when is your flight to know if it is in one week, one month, one year, etc.
If in a few days/weeks, a change is unlikely (except of course last minute equipment swap). If in several months from now, the likelihood is of course higher.

I was just curious if they were flexible with moving me to another flight. One mile at a time seemed to think I did have some recourse.
I maintain you have no recourse.

TBH I'm more worried about a strike delay ! Would I be moved to another airline in that event?
I would say that you should relax. Just book what suits you the best today for airline, plane type, seat type, cost, time of flight, etc. If you want to worry about equipment swap, strike, snow, storm, rain, fires in California, pilot being sick or whatever, just stay at home.
In case of strike, yes AF will rebook you to another AF flight, or another Skyteam flight (DL, KL) and ultimately to another non-Skyteam flight if no other choice.
paris1000 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 12:37 am

What is the relevance of AA COC to AF?
Old Nov 22, 18, 9:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
I’m just waiting until this turns into NEV4 vs D1 767
Goldorak and glennhaak like this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
The day of the week is irrelevant. I asked you when is your flight to know if it is in one week, one month, one year, etc.
If in a few days/weeks, a change is unlikely (except of course last minute equipment swap). If in several months from now, the likelihood is of course higher.

I maintain you have no recourse.

I would say that you should relax. Just book what suits you the best today for airline, plane type, seat type, cost, time of flight, etc. If you want to worry about equipment swap, strike, snow, storm, rain, fires in California, pilot being sick or whatever, just stay at home.
In case of strike, yes AF will rebook you to another AF flight, or another Skyteam flight (DL, KL) and ultimately to another non-Skyteam flight if no other choice.
As usual Goldorak is right.on all points.
Apparently you are taking about an award (not sure though). In case of strike, AF is quite good at rerouting you. However, you will be at the bottom of the priority list..
Old Nov 26, 18, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd go with DL, especially for $500 savings. Zero chance of substitution to a non-full-flat, and I think the AF 77W seat is only very marginally better than the DL 330 seat (they're basically the same seat, but AF has the storage cabinet). And frankly, I prefer DL's catering. The main courses and second meal services on AF are definitely lacking. Main courses are served economy-style on AF (they take the foil off the casserole before they put it on your tray table and everything can be like one great mush), whereas DL individually plates them. AF's definition of salad is some mesclun leaves in a bowl with a little shaker of olive oil/balsamic.
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I'd go with DL, especially for $500 savings. Zero chance of substitution to a non-full-flat, and I think the AF 77W seat is only very marginally better than the DL 330 seat (they're basically the same seat, but AF has the storage cabinet). And frankly, I prefer DL's catering. The main courses and second meal services on AF are definitely lacking. Main courses are served economy-style on AF (they take the foil off the casserole before they put it on your tray table and everything can be like one great mush), whereas DL individually plates them. AF's definition of salad is some mesclun leaves in a bowl with a little shaker of olive oil/balsamic.
Exactly this. Delta One is guaranteed to be lie flat, so no question of wanting to reroute because of a swap to an angled-flat aircraft.

AF and DL's catering each have their bright spots and their sore spots. One doesn't "win" for me over the other, but neither dining/drink experience is worth $500. Definitely go with DL for the savings, plus the A330 seats are one of DL's best.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:13 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Doesn’t DL use the 77L on the LAX-CDG route?

Search this Thread