INT. Leaving at layover

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

INT. Leaving at layover

I have a one-way flight from LAX to LHR with a one hour layover at CDG.
I'm wanting to stay in Paris and not continue to London.
I called Air France, but was told I would have to cancel my ticket and rebook.

Is it possible to stay in France if I just try to leave the airport?

I'm flying out of Paris to Italy a few day after, if that matters.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Depending on if you have checked bags. If not, nobody can stop you from entering France and exit the airport.

If yes, you may ask to short check your bag to CDG, but I heard reports from others in this forum about not allowed by AF if you are having a "normal length" layover.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
If you don’t check bags, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem unless you do that often and are « flagged » by the airline. This being said, if you have a one-way ticket, it’s probably an expensive ticket booked in the highest fare buckets and so it may not cost you a lot or it may even not cost anything to change your ticket. But without knowing the conditions of your ticket, it’s difficult to say more.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Great, I'll only have a carry on.

I was worried immigration might be an issue.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
If you don’t check bags, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem unless you do that often and are « flagged » by the airline. This being said, if you have a one-way ticket, it’s probably an expensive ticket booked in the highest fare buckets and so it may not cost you a lot or it may even not cost anything to change your ticket. But without knowing the conditions of your ticket, it’s difficult to say more.

I booked a one way business class tickets with points.
Flying Blue said the only other business class ticket was around a 100000 and I only used 58000 for this ticket.

This would be the first time I'm doing something like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on your citizenship and residence, you may be asked to demonstrate how you intend to leave France, e.g., for a ticket departing France. But, that same question may be asked at LHR as well.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Depending on your citizenship and residence, you may be asked to demonstrate how you intend to leave France, e.g., for a ticket departing France. But, that same question may be asked at LHR as well.
Thanks, I'll print out my Paris departure ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
You might also be asked at LAX to comply with UK visa rules since your ticket is to UK.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Similar question but the connection is to Toulon. I will have checked bags so just want to confirm that I will get my bags and have to recheck for the domestic segment. I was leaning towards a yes on this question but came across domestic flights in Saudi Arabia and India that use only the international terminals so wanted to double check.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Similar question but the connection is to Toulon. I will have checked bags so just want to confirm that I will get my bags and have to recheck for the domestic segment. I was leaning towards a yes on this question but came across domestic flights in Saudi Arabia and India that use only the international terminals so wanted to double check.
No, your bags would get checked through to Toulon and you don't have to recheck in Paris, so this would only work if you could convince the agent to short check them to CDG.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I clear customs in TLN? Are domestic flights in France always like this? I know it is with Schengen flights but did not expect domestic France flights.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: FB Gold
So I clear customs in TLN? Are domestic flights in France always like this? I know it is with Schengen flights but did not expect domestic France flights.
Correct, domestic flights in France aren't treated any differently then Schengen flights. The only way you would clear customs in Paris on such a connection is if your inbound landed in CDG and your flight to TLN left from ORY. Then you would claim your luggage, clear customs and re-check.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Custom clearance at final destination is the way things work in most European countries, with some exceptions. The luggage tag indicates whether the bag is an international bag that still requires custom clearance or not (luggage that do not need customs clearance have tags with green stripes).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Custom clearance at final destination is the way things work in most European countries, with some exceptions.
What would be some of those exceptions? DFW-CDG alone is not available on AF but comes up available when booking to other cities due to married segments. Need to break the journey at CDG and get bags without paying Euro 275.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
What would be some of those exceptions? DFW-CDG alone is not available on AF but comes up available when booking to other cities due to married segments. Need to break the journey at CDG and get bags without paying Euro 275.
I don't know why you care about custom clearance. That's of no importance for you. I understand you have a ticket DFW-CDG-XXX and want to drop the CDG-XXX segment but you have a problem because of checked bags. Bags will be tagged until final destination and AF will refuse to tag them only to CDG. Customs clearance is irrelevant here and your problem is to collect your bag in CDG (if I understood correctly your situation).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.