Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INT. Leaving at layover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
As it was pointed out, there are two ways to get luggage at cdg:
- flights departing from ORY (tln has some flights)
- TRain connection (reims for instance)

just change your reservation to be in one of those two situation.
then, you are free to go if it is the last segment of your ticket.

Last edited by canadavid; Nov 17, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What would be some of those exceptions? DFW-CDG alone is not available on AF but comes up available when booking to other cities due to married segments. Need to break the journey at CDG and get bags without paying Euro 275.
I would not be 100% sure of which European countries have a different system but I have a vague memory lurking at the back of my mind of either Sweden or Norway having a US-style system, where you need to collect your luggage on arrival in the country and re-check it for your domestic flight. For Paris, as others have mentioned, the solution consist in having an airport change between Roissy and Orly or a change from plane to train af CDG. It is possible to get combined AF/SNCF ticket to Toulon train station. You may want to check whether that would work for you.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don't know why you care about custom clearance.
So I can get my bags and not have to take the next segment.

Originally Posted by canadavid
As it was pointed out, there are two ways to get luggage at cdg:
- flights departing from ORY (tln has some flights)
- TRain connection (reims for instance)

just change your reservation to be in one of those two situation.
then, you are free to go if it is the last segment of your ticket.
I'm not getting any itineraries for ORY and dl.com does not even recognize Reims. Are there any other railway destinations?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I'm not getting any itineraries for ORY and dl.com does not even recognize Reims. Are there any other railway destinations?
At least ZYR (Brussels) and XWG (Strasbourg).
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes, you confirm what I thought. Your problem is not customs clearance but being able to retrieve your bags at CDG and end your trip there instead of taking the connecting flight because of the fare rules of the ticket you buy. AF doesn't care that you pass customs here or there but they of course have to comply with the laws.
The reco given to you by other posters is the good one : try to find a train connection and this will impose bag claiming in CDG because you have to go landside.

Last edited by Goldorak; Nov 18, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that dl.com will not recognise train stations destinations nor offer CDG-ORY connections Any particular reason why you need to book via delta rather than on af.com?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I believe that dl.com will not recognise train stations destinations nor offer CDG-ORY connections Any particular reason why you need to book via delta rather than on af.com?
I have some DL miles. AF charges too much for that itinerary.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Delta codeshares with SNCF were finished over a decade ago. If this is a one-way with no checked bags, don't sweat it, you can just stop in CDG. Checked bags will not work. Round-trip will not work. You can always just fly to BRU and take the train out of pocket to Paris if you need checked bags. Plus LAX-BRU is only 37k miles in Y and 50k in W.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have some DL miles. AF charges too much for that itinerary.
Ah, that makes sense. In that case, if you are using DL miles, you cannot, AFAIK, use them for train segments on SNCF. You will therefore need to engineer a change of airports in Paris. There are some French destinations which are served from ORY but not from CDG (such as LDE, UIP, BES, CFE, etc...). I am not sure whether these are bookable on dl.com, though. It may well be that you need to phone DL to get an itinerary with a CDG-ORY connection in Paris, whether to one of these or to get an ORY flight for those airports which are served from both ORY and CDG. I suspect, though, that if the flight to CDG is not available as stand alone, they may not be available either with an onward segment from ORY but I suppose it is worth a try.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Ah, that makes sense. In that case, if you are using DL miles, you cannot, AFAIK, use them for train segments on SNCF. You will therefore need to engineer a change of airports in Paris. There are some French destinations which are served from ORY but not from CDG (such as LDE, UIP, BES, CFE, etc...). I am not sure whether these are bookable on dl.com, though. It may well be that you need to phone DL to get an itinerary with a CDG-ORY connection in Paris, whether to one of these or to get an ORY flight for those airports which are served from both ORY and CDG. I suspect, though, that if the flight to CDG is not available as stand alone, they may not be available either with an onward segment from ORY but I suppose it is worth a try.
These flights are bookable if I put in ORY as the origin, but not DFW. BES and CFE operate from CDG as well and I see them offered.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: QRPC Europium
Hand luggage only is the way to go. You will be checked-in for both legs at point of origin but you may discard the second flight boarding pass and exit the airport at CDG.
No worries about customs / immigration clearance either if you can show an itinerary out of France.
And I highly doubt that AF will, in some way, come after you for dumping the final leg of your ticket, especially on an award booking.
Although living in France, all my AF long haul business flights depart from other european airports for obvious cost reason and I always discard the last leg. I have never been penalized or encountered any problem with this method. It might be an urban myth that AF will go after oneself if one does not complete the booked itinerary in its entirety. And if this was even true, one can always argue that one had to
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Can you force an overnight?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Can you force an overnight?
Using the multi-city tool? It never works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.