CDG timing

Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

CDG timing

When should we arrive at CDG for a 1:50pm AF flight to JFK on Wednesday? We're in business, no checked luggage, US passports and hope to check in online.

What time should we get a taxi from near the Louvre to go to the airport? Or just monitor traffic with Google maps and leave with a sufficient amount of time to get there?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
When should we arrive at CDG for a 1:50pm AF flight to JFK on Wednesday? We're in business, no checked luggage, US passports and hope to check in online.

What time should we get a taxi from near the Louvre to go to the airport? Or just monitor traffic with Google maps and leave with a sufficient amount of time to get there?
You should leave the Louvre area no later than 10:30 am. It should take you around 1hr to reach CDG.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Goldorak gives a risk averse and wise answer.
With no traffic, it takes 35min from Le Louvre to CDG. With reasonable traffic at 11am, one hour is safe. Of course, there is always the risk of unexpected accident on the road, but, personally I would never leave before 11am. You will get at CDG before noon which leaves you plenty of time (almost two hours) to go through immigration and security.
Be aware that immigration with US passport can take long time (you have Skypriorty).
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Is there any reason to prefer a taxi compared to an Uber (or Taxify) to the airport? If I understand correctly, taxi would be a flat 50 Euro, even if the hotel summons it. Our driver from the airport tried to charge 55 and his credit card machine claimed my card didn't work (it worked at the hotel 5 min later), which makes me a bit hesitant about taxis. Uber has worked fine, other than they always take longer to arrive than the app claims.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Is there any reason to prefer a taxi compared to an Uber (or Taxify) to the airport? If I understand correctly, taxi would be a flat 50 Euro, even if the hotel summons it. Our driver from the airport tried to charge 55 and his credit card machine claimed my card didn't work (it worked at the hotel 5 min later), which makes me a bit hesitant about taxis. Uber has worked fine, other than they always take longer to arrive than the app claims.
the advantage of taxis is that they can use bus lanes in Paris. But at that time of the day, the benefit will be minimal. The case you described is exactly why I barely use taxis nowadays for some years. I use only Uber or Le Cab.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak

the advantage of taxis is that they can use bus lanes in Paris. But at that time of the day, the benefit will be minimal. The case you described is exactly why I barely use taxis nowadays for some years. I use only Uber or Le Cab.
Any thoughts on Taxify? I have a 10 Euro credit, but that's not worthwhile if they aren't reliable.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any thoughts on Taxify? I have a 10 Euro credit, but that's not worthwhile if they aren't reliable.
No idea about taxify.
For airport transfer, I use LeCab as they are reliable and comfortable (Uber within Paris).
Note that this is school holiday, so traffic is likely to be lighter.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
No idea about taxify.
For airport transfer, I use LeCab as they are reliable and comfortable (Uber within Paris).
Note that this is school holiday, so traffic is likely to be lighter.

Le Cab does not appear to let you specify a destination and therefore does not fix a price. Am I missing something?

I'd rather have a price in advance.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Le Cab does not appear to let you specify a destination and therefore does not fix a price. Am I missing something?

I'd rather have a price in advance.
g7, the leading taxi company uses the official fixed price scheme. I never had a problem with them.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lecab does let you enter your destination and gives you a price. G7 is indeed good.
Frankly, I would not worry so much about 5 euro difference.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Do you enter the destination for LeCab after pushing book now?

5 Euro isn't a worry. Uber has had a range of about 30 Euros when I've checked (40s to 70s), which is more of a concern. With a fixed price, the driver's incentive is the most efficient route. Without, they make more money with a longer ride.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Use Snapcar.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Now our hotel is saying tomorrow is the SIAL Exposition in Villepinte, which they say will cause very strong difficulties with traffic and they are highly recommending public transport.

Looking at a map, it's not clear to me why that would cause a problem in Paris or why there wouldn't be a route from the Louvre neighborhood to CDG that avoids it

??
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Now our hotel is saying tomorrow is the SIAL Exposition in Villepinte, which they say will cause very strong difficulties with traffic and they are highly recommending public transport.

Looking at a map, it's not clear to me why that would cause a problem in Paris or why there wouldn't be a route from the Louvre neighborhood to CDG that avoids it

??
I can confirm this exhibition is a big one and is creating some heavy traffic on A1 and A3 when getting close to the A104 highway just before reaching CDG, but that won’t impact you more than a few minutes and I am not even sure of that at the time you will go to CDG (the immense majority of exhibition attendees will already be on-site at the time you will jump in your cab).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

I can confirm this exhibition is a big one and is creating some heavy traffic on A1 and A3 when getting close to the A104 highway just before reaching CDG, but that won’t impact you more than a few minutes and I am not even sure of that at the time you will go to CDG (the immense majority of exhibition attendees will already be on-site at the time you will jump in your cab).
It seems hotels are always extra cautious about the time it takes to get to and through airports. At least, that's my experience.

Thanks to you (and others) for all the help in this thread.

Off to Terminal 2E in a few hours. We may take Uber, just out of familiarity, unless it has excessive wait times or charges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.