Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Have New Parafe Facial Recognition Gates Speeded up Things at CDG Arrival/Departures?

Have New Parafe Facial Recognition Gates Speeded up Things at CDG Arrival/Departures?

Old Sep 14, 18, 3:03 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz 5*, Mas Gold, Best Western Diamond (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Wrong. I have on occasions used it with a non-French passport. It's just the usual carelessness which leads them to give you wrong information. The signs clearly say "EU/EEA" (and to be correct they should say "EU/EEA/CH", but again, things are done à-peu-près). Still, the people manning the entrance ask "passeport français?". Just like the people at T1 at the security control of the satellite used by LH/LX/LO/A3, who ask you "Sky?" when you approach the fast lane, probably meaning SKYPRIORITY which is what they must have learned during their training, despite no Skyteam carrier flying from there.

In all those situations: just smile, say yes, and ignore them.
I had some surreal discussions with airport staff whom are guarding the entrances of the Parafes lanes. When they insist it's French passports only and I point at the EU sign, they prefer to insult my intelligence rather than admit that they actually get instructed to discriminate when it's busy.

ADP could learn from FRA, biometric facial passport gates work for all concerned, and you rarely wait more than just a few minutes.

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Having arrived this morning from JNB and being bussed to the terminal, I must say that the experience is simply horrible.
​​​​​
I've said it before and I'm saying it again. All this arrival and departures stress at 2E is one of the reasons why I started to avoid taking AF.​​ Not that AF can help it, but I am simply tired of this early morning arrival chaos, waiting for an hour in whats supposed to be a priority lane, then find out that the baggage hasn't even arrived yet. And departures has a series of hurdles too which force me to plan 3 hours before planned departure at the terminal. I'm simply sick and tired of it.

Last edited by Zembla; Sep 14, 18 at 3:13 am
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
I had some surreal discussions with airport staff whom are guarding the entrances of the Parafes lanes. When they insist it's French passports only and I point at the EU sign, they prefer to insult my intelligence rather than admit that they actually get instructed to discriminate when it's busy.
One should be slow to attribute to malice that which is better explained by incompetence. It seems to me far more likely that the agents are not particularly well-informed or bright rather than assuming an anti-foreigner conspiracy.

I have never had anybody challenge me when heading assuredly towards Parafes gates but perhaps this is because I rarely travel during very busy hours?
Old Sep 14, 18, 7:08 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz 5*, Mas Gold, Best Western Diamond (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
One should be slow to attribute to malice that which is better explained by incompetence. It seems to me far more likely that the agents are not particularly well-informed or bright rather than assuming an anti-foreigner conspiracy.

I have never had anybody challenge me when heading assuredly towards Parafes gates but perhaps this is because I rarely travel during very busy hours?
I also doubt it's malice or a deliberate anti foreigner conspiracy, and I also never said that. I also doubt it's incompetence. It has happened quite a few times to me when it was very busy, and it makes me conclude that it's an instruction they are carrying out. It's something they put in place to "manage" the queues. However, if it works for all EU passport holders when its not busy, and then they aim to let only French passport holders through when it's busy, then they discriminate at busy times, even though it's probably not in bad faith.

Last edited by Zembla; Sep 14, 18 at 7:24 am
Old Oct 16, 18, 4:18 am

It's still completely mind boggling to me. Recently at 2C the line for the brand new Parafe gates was empty, and there were only a few people in the normal passport lane. The staff at the entrance of the lines inquired what passport I hold, I replied Dutch, and then he said: "that won't work". I Pointed at the EU flag at the entrance of the Parafe lane, and I suggested that we should try. He let me in, and.....it didn't work.

Worked like a dream when connecting at FRA a few days later, it took only a few seconds, as always...