Wiki Posts
Search

La Premiere multi-seat pricing oddity?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

La Premiere multi-seat pricing oddity?

Hello Everyone,
I wasn't sure how to title this one. It may be normal, with the extreme variable pricing that airlines have. I was looking at booking 4 seats in LaP. The first 1-3 seats are pricing in a normal dollar amount I would expect. As soon as I add on the 4th seat, the price goes up over $60,000.00. For example, I picked out 3 tickets that totaled $20K. If I add one more seat, the price jumps to $89K.
Wondering if anyone has seen this before, or if it could be an anomaly on the website that I might be able to get a better result by booking over the phone. I am not surprised that airlines charge more for their last seat in the cabin, but it seemed extreme.
In a related issue, does anyone know if AF makes their last seat available on points? If I need 4, it might work if I I could pay for 3 and use points for the 4th.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
There are only 3 seats available at the lower fare. When you add the 4th passenger all passengers are charged the higher fare since there cannot be multiple fares on a single reservation. The best bet when that happens is to book 3 on one reservation and then 1 on the other.
ijgordon, Travlur and In2ishn like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks makes sense, thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Travlur
Hello Everyone,
In a related issue, does anyone know if AF makes their last seat available on points? If I need 4, it might work if I I could pay for 3 and use points for the 4th.
I don't believe so. You'd have to do it the other way around though that would likely not avoid the problem.
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:50 pm

If it does not come up the way you want online, you can just call Air France or your travel agent. They will be happy to help you optimize it.
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by croberts134
There are only 3 seats available at the lower fare. When you add the 4th passenger all passengers are charged the higher fare since there cannot be multiple fares on a single reservation. The best bet when that happens is to book 3 on one reservation and then 1 on the other.
It's almost certainly this.
The difference between a discounted "F" fare and a full "P" fare can be quite large, and of course when that difference gets multipled across 4 pax, we're talking $$$$$$$$.

AF.com (and many other site) will have a note next to a specific flight saying something like "Only X seats left at this fare". I think for AF that cutoff is 4 seats for J and 3 seats for F, although perhaps it depends on the configuration. It does seem that for many 77W flights AF will initially offer P4F3, so you wouldn't be able to get the whole family the cheaper F fare - you either have to look for a 380 with a larger P cabin or just suck up the higher P fare for that last passenger.
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by croberts134
That's indeed the best bet.
Remember that the 77W with F class only have 4 seats and they, at most, offer P4F3. There is no way you can get the discount fare on 4 seats. And if you first book an award the open seats will become P3F2 (F is always one less than P).
Your only hope is to find a flight with A380 where they go up to P9F5. But the seat is really much less attractive.
Travlur likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Is La Premiere a glorified bus ride?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by KLBGO
Is La Premiere a glorified bus ride?
Well it certainly is an Airbus ride
KLBGO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.