Unpleasant experience: what to do? [merged]

Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:17 pm

As someone who experience DVT and blood clots in every lobe in my lungs Dec 2017, I can speak from experience. I probably got them quick turn to France over Thanksgiving. Dec 21st got diagnosed at ER. I flew (short trips) 2 months after the clots. And guess what, I did it in COACH!! And survived. Not everyone can afford to take weeks and weeks off AND travel in lie flats. Most will travel in the back of the bus. And, I had an aisle for my first trip and got move mysteriously somehow to a middle seat. Didn't hold up the plane.

I am lucky to be alive. Quit your whining. Sorry, had to be said.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Phone agents do not handle medical issues. AF has a separate service which handles this and it is all very clearly explained on the website. OP says that his surgeon only gave medical clearance based on a 180 degree recline of the seat. That is the type of clearance which ought to have been made through the medical service by the surgeon and OP and, if AF could not fulfill the medical requirements, it would have so advised OP and his surgeon and denied him medical clearance to travel.

This took me less than 30 seconds to find on the AF webside, this 1/80th of he time OP spent on the phone with a sales person who has nothing to do with medical clearance.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...rd_medical.htm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s very easy to know if a flight is scheduled for full flat beds or angled-flats. A query here and OP would have been advised that (1) A380 (and 330 I believe) is all angled flats, and (2) 777 you can tell by seat map.

He would have also been advised of the potential for an equipment swap. FWIW AA’s international tariff/COC does explicitly allow refund or rebooking in case of equipment change unsuitable for the pax, but not sure how AF would handle it. Certainly a day of departure swap can be difficult to handle given more limited options at that time.

Given the long-windedness of OP’s posts, it’s perhaps not surprising the crew lost patience.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
Suspended

I had some sympathy, until I read this part:
... Meanwhile I absolutely had to get to SF that night, since the gig was the next day and this poor non-profit had already spent a ton on tickets, and so I was freaking out...
Maybe you should start your consulting by telling them to stop doing that and use their, most likely donated money, the way it was intended, instead of feeding some guys wallet and mileage account.

Last edited by SwissCircle; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
1. Remember; you're dealing with the French, capable of both convenience and inconvenience, i.e. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45174382.

2. I chose a general anesthetic for my hip replacement, but they did have me on my feet by 6PM, after surgery at 1PM, but was helped through rehab by an excitingly appealing young physical therapist who favored skin-tight apparel, better than a flat bed any day.

3. She taught me not to undertake anything (even lust) suddenly or too soon (which included travel for work).

4. I had long before learned for myself that even unpleasant destinations are best arrived at a day early.

5. We have not only allowed but even forced airlines to become as inhospitable as they so often seem. Our thirst for rapid travel has destroyed all but occasionally appealing rail journeys, and the grand Transatlantic liners have all been hammered into razor blades.

C'est la vie....
SwissCircle and JayCey like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Gold; AA Plat.
Question An explanation is not too much to ask...

Originally Posted by q
However ... if indeed you have made perfectly clear, on the phone, that you needed a horizontal seat, AND you were given the wrong information, then I think Air France owes you an explanation. More than an excuse, a real explanation (in detail).
Agreed, I think it is fair to ask for a response. OP researched his options and called for confirmation when it wasn't clear online. I miss how the responsibility of OP to get that information confirmed (the lie-flat seat) extends beyond this? The airline rep seemed well-informed on the situation and gave incorrect info - that is simply not good and goes against the airline's 'promise'.

I know this goes against the thread's consensus, and by no means do I know better than the far more experienced flyers here, but I would say that AF could at least respond to that.
JayCey likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by NewUSflyer
Agreed, I think it is fair to ask for a response. OP researched his options and called for confirmation when it wasn't clear online. I miss how the responsibility of OP to get that information confirmed (the lie-flat seat) extends beyond this? The airline rep seemed well-informed on the situation and gave incorrect info - that is simply not good and goes against the airline's 'promise'.

I know this goes against the thread's consensus, and by no means do I know better than the far more experienced flyers here, but I would say that AF could at least respond to that.
True enough, poor customer service. But if I’d been in the OPs situation, I would have made 100% sure. How? By booking on an airline which just has lie-flats. OP found out during research that AF has old (angled lie-flats) and new ones. At that point, I would have booked with Delta, LH or SAS. No risk there, even an equipment change wouldn’t be a problem.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the TATL JV, it should have been easy for AF to rebook the OP onto a DL operated flight, although some business class RT tickets originating in Europe tend to have fare rules that say that the flights must be flown exactly as ticketed or all value is lost.

The OP is basically asking for AF to fix the ticket/seat issues as a customer service gesture given the incorrect information supplie3d by the AF agent.

OTOH, checking or asking here would have resulted in accurate (subject to aircraft swaps) information about AF seats. However, given the AF tendency to swap aircraft and their horrid seats and configurations in business class, I just avoid flying AF TATL even though their schedules would be more convenient for me.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I agree with most posters here that there is no ground for compensation.

But still, if it wasn't for the pi$$ poor job of the phone agent the situation hadn't arisen in the first place. Yes, we can "blame" (we actually kindly suggest) the OP to do more research on the net, on this forum, etc. But seriously, what does that say about the airline when you can't trust their own information but have to resort to third party channels? The anecdote with the contradicting posts just supports it, AF doesn't get its act together. Clueless agents who tell you things that as an experienced traveler you know are bogus - doesn't that happen frequently? And all too frequently with AF?

Thus, indeed, no ground for compensation, but still by Air France for not being able to properly inform its customers about its own products.
JayCey likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Currently fais la navette entre les US et Paris. Lived in Scotland, Netherlands, and virtually everywhere in the US
Programs: AA 1M miles, UA Premier 1K, AF FB Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood/Marriott Gold Elite, etc.
Originally Posted by Often1
Phone agents do not handle medical issues. AF has a separate service which handles this and it is all very clearly explained on the website. OP says that his surgeon only gave medical clearance based on a 180 degree recline of the seat. That is the type of clearance which ought to have been made through the medical service by the surgeon and OP and, if AF could not fulfill the medical requirements, it would have so advised OP and his surgeon and denied him medical clearance to travel.

This took me less than 30 seconds to find on the AF webside, this 1/80th of he time OP spent on the phone with a sales person who has nothing to do with medical clearance.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...rd_medical.htm
Dear Friend,

I must comment. You're giving misinformation that could lead to difficulties for passengers with disabilities, and so just a short response to your post. I do understand that the medical clearance page is complicated, and you may not have read it carefully as you probably haven't had to deal with AF's medical service and Saphir as much as I have. So let me explain for those viewers following along from home:

On the link you provided, two different cases are discussed by AF concerning the issue of Medical Clearance:

(1) Cases where it might it might do harm to the passenger in question to fly, such as:
  • Pregnancy,
  • Recent surgery,
  • An appendage in a cast.
(B) Cases where it might do harm to the other passengers or the flight, or require extra effort from the flight staff for the passenger in question to fly, such as:
  • You are traveling with a stretcher or incubator,
  • You need oxygen therapy at a rate exceeding 2 liters/minute,
  • You may need extraordinary medical assistance during the flight due to your state of health*,
  • You have a contagious disease*.
Only cases that fall under (2) require Air France to be made aware of the passenger's condition. Only in (2) must the patient receive medical clearance from AF.

In cases that fall under (1) it is recommended that the patient consult a doctor, but AF does not require it, nor is there any official means for cases in the first group for the passenger to declare the doctor's opinion (for example, there isn't any form).

Since I fall under (1) I consulted my own doctor, but did not require AF's clearance, nor was there any means for me to convey the doctor's opinion to AF, except in the way I did. And since I no longer require special assistance, I no longer fall under Saphir (as AF informed me when I called to check the cabin configuration). My case, on the contrary, has the same status as a special meal: I need what are called "special inflight arrangements" and, as with a meal, I could call to request those arrangements . . . which I did by checking the cabin configuration, and giving the background information as to why I needed that configuration.

warmest greetings and good luck to those of you who have to deal with these situations on a regular basis, unlike the lucky ones like me who (hopefully) will get past this relatively quickly.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by JayCey
{...very, v ery long snip}...Eventually I said I would simply walk around for 11 hours (rather than doing the work I was supposed to do in prep for the consulting!). {...long snip}...
Rather than looking at AF's mistakes and it's staff's attitude, here is some plain physics: The forces acting on the implant/bone resulting from the 10 degree slanting of the lie-flat seat are much, much, much lower than from the forces resulting from standing (let alone walking) for 11 hours (which was against your surgeon's explicit advice) and why watching the actual operation is an anatomical impossibility (by the way, a hip replacement with an epidural instead of general anaesthesia is routine and not a sign of... anything by the patient), I am sympathetic with your -failed- wish to be upgraded to First, but other than that, much ado about nothing

PS Six operations during the last 10 years, including an open heart one and an aortic aneurysm, and lots of moaning about several airlines' long haul business class seats.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given the TATL JV, it should have been easy for AF to rebook the OP onto a DL operated flight, although some business class RT tickets originating in Europe tend to have fare rules that say that the flights must be flown exactly as ticketed or all value is lost.
Actually there's one issue here though, which is that Delta does not have direct CDG-SFO flights. There are two alternatives, flying CDG-SLC-SFO/SJC with TATL segment in 767 with flatbed seats (which are, obviously, better than angled NEV4 ) but SLC-SFO/SJC segment will be about ~ 1 hour in a recliner seat (for non-US flyers - think premium economy class). Otherwise there is CDG-SEA-SFO/SJC with TATL segment in 777 (no D1 suites), with SEA-SFO/SJC being ~ 2 hours flight in a recliner seat.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: UA
I see that the OP came back but did not say what was done for the return flight.

Hopefully the OP was able to change to the 777.

But I am confused how the OP was told she needed a horizontal flat bed for the following reason

a) I wasn't putting weight on the leg for 11 hours (because the femur has not yet grown around the titanium, and one has to be careful not to push the titanium out of place),

Yet was walking in the cabin for the 11 hour flight which must have put more weight on the leg.

Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by arttravel; Aug 15, 2018 at 2:05 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Location: Currently fais la navette entre les US et Paris. Lived in Scotland, Netherlands, and virtually everywhere in the US
Programs: AA 1M miles, UA Premier 1K, AF FB Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood/Marriott Gold Elite, etc.
Hi Folks,

No doubt thanks to all your excellent advice, AF did the right thing, and my flight back was a true pleasure! In fact, everybody was obviously on best behavior, and went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable - spoiled even. And when AF staff are their glorious best, I remember why I started flying them in the first place. I'm grateful for your input.

Actually, now that I've read back through your comments, it may not have been due to advice you gave. In fact, only few of you seem to have read my (verbose) post all the way through, nor given responses to the questions I asked! Lots of comments on physics, physiology, medicine, non-profit finances, my carelessness, low mental capacity, moral failings, and inability to make decisions under pressure, even on my body as "anatomical impossibility," and a remarkable number of judgments concerning my decision to earn my living as a consultant, and work 5 weeks post-surgery! I think your talents are wasted here in FlyerTalk - have you considered a Judge Judy like endeavor?

Only teasing - you're a great group, and I appreciate your help.
q, PeteM01, Solevita and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Glad that you take the comments here with a pinch of humor.

I side with San Gottardo that AF is doing a poor job with its J product retrofit. It is a shame that roughly half of their longhaul birds still have angled seats while BEST was introduced over 4 years ago (June 2014). The question of why is OT here. And they have been rotating their flat seats plane a lot, in part to give a taste of it to most destinations. This Russian roulette is generating unhappiness among less savvy pax, even among FT regulars. This is compounded by the lack of transparency of AF. The marketing material (and undoubtedly the instructions to phone agents) is to say that the old seats NEV are flat (180o) but with a slight angle to horizontal (they sillily claim 5o for NEV4).. And you can even get NEV3 on A380 which they also claim is 180o. Of course, AF is aware of the issue, but they chose an aggressive, even if misleading, marketing approach. Personally, I would not rely on a call center to get precise information for a seat characteristics, but the agent probably followed AF marketing themes. I\

That being said, you are an experienced frequent traveller (FB Gold within a couple of miles, Million Mile, Premier 1K)and FT member), FT member for a long time. You state in your initial post that you shuttle between US and France (profile) and that you have used AFa fair amount in the past 6 months (it seems you reached Gold already this year). It is a bit surprising that you relied on the opinion of a "biased" agent from a call center. A quick search on FT (or other sites) would have shown that none of AF 380 have flat horizontal beds. And some even have the twisted NEV3. Next time use FT
Zembla and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by brunos; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:46 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.