Air France: Probability of Strike?

Old Jul 28, 18, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Air France: Probability of Strike?

So, I'm looking at using Air France to position for a flight. The layover time is around 10 hours, but there will be no Air France flights arriving between mine and my departing flight. Unfortuantely, I've heard Air France is somewhat known for their occasionally unpredictable strikes. I was wondering:

What percentage of the time are they usually on strike?

When they do go on strike, what is your recourse for rebooking? Have y'all usually had success switching to KLM flights? Or are you SOL until the day the strike ends?

I know there's no definite answer out there; I was just wondering what y'all's estimates are
Old Jul 29, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Which route would your repositioning flight be? Are there alternative carriers for AF? In what period? If soon with no strikes announced at this point it could work, but if in months you never know. AF labor relations simply are not predictable (and if it is ok at AF, you may face an air controller strike or something else). Indeed I try to avoid AF for this very reason in my travel planning if I can get equal value for money flights with other ST partners.
Old Jul 29, 18, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Both intercontinental longhauls. SFO to CDG and CDG to Johannesburg
Old Jul 29, 18, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Your two posts are very unclear. On the one hand, you express concern about the use of AF to position and then when asked what the positioning flight will be, you respond with SFO-CDG and CDG-JNB. Are those really the positioning flights?

Bottom line is that AF has been plagued by strikes as has the French ATC system. Both are functionally the same for practical purposes as it does not matter why your flight is disrupted in fixing the immediate mess.

In the event that your flights are delayed or cancelled, AF may or may not reroute on other carriers and there may or may not be availability on those carriers. There is no way to predict any of this and if your travel to JNB is important, I would avoid AF at all costs, bearing in mind that ATC issues in France can affect all manner of operations on many carriers.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Hard to be sure of your routing. My guess is SFO-CDG on AF and CDG-JNB on another carrier. But only AF flies nonstop to JNB AFIK.
AF has a daily flight from SFO and that allows a 7 hours connection with the JNB daily. They also have an earlier flight on some days that would lead to that 10 hours transfer you suggest.
Maybe you are looking at available awards. But frankly having a very long stopover in CDG between two long flights is not attractive.
And yes, there may be AF or French ATC strikes with nonzero probability. When a new CEO is appointed, there might be more industrial action.
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:20 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt View Post
Both intercontinental longhauls. SFO to CDG and CDG to Johannesburg

Are these two legs on the same single ticket/PNR? Then AF always has the duty to bring you from SFO to JNB, whatever happens in Paris or France. But in the case of irregularities, you of course may face delays. If you want to derisk AF and French ATC strikes and you can find a similarly priced SFO-JNB ticket with another carrier, you may consider that. If you have two separate tickets SFO-CDG and CDG-JNB usually 10 hours between the flights is more than enough even if there is some delay SFO-CDG. But in case of strikes leading to a long delay of the SFO-CDG flight that will make you miss your connection you will be on your own/at the mercy of any goodwill of AF.

Last edited by atflyer; Jul 29, 18 at 10:27 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: