Search

Air France PE vs Lufthansa PE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Air France PE vs Lufthansa PE

Hello all,

I am planning to fly to Panama city in Premium Economy and i can either fly with LH or AF. Price is almost the same. I am star alliance gold but no status with sky team. I have flew a few times with LH in PE and i have to say i am not very impressed. How is AF PE on this route? Anyone has flew with both airlines in PE?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
The hard shell on AF looks more luxurious, but Lufthansa has a more comfy seat in PE which reclines pretty well for sleeping. AfF has a weird seat which doesn’t have a real seatback recline, it’s only the bottom of the seat which slides back and forth, which is very awkward and very strange to sleep on. I sleep better on normal economy seats with AF! Screens are larger and higher resolution on LH
Sevice difference is in the details, and I can’t really favour one or the other on that aspect.
All in all I find LH PE better value for money.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
Would depend on which aircraft.

The PE seats on AF have been derided as pretty uncomfortable due to the lack of real recline (it only "slouches").

However I know on the LH 748 aircraft, their PE is sandwiched between two cabines of regular economy without a real divider, which would irritate me cuz it no longer feels like a separate class of service. That said, the seats would be more comfortable.

Service level would vary, but I find the service and catering better on AF in general through my experiences.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Both have their downsides (uncomfortable sliding seat with AF, lack of separate cabin and service with LH) and on balance probably equal. Your Star Gold tips it in favour of LH
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
The PE seats on AF have been derided as pretty uncomfortable due to the lack of real recline (it only "slouches").
I wonder how much of this is just in people's heads.
Geometrically, there's no difference between the seat back angling backward, or the seat cushion sliding forward while the headrest stays longitudinally in place, but just slides down. Either way you end up with a seat moving from this: |_ to this: \_.

Now, if the fixed seat shell on the AF seat results in less of an angle between the seat cushion and seat back because there's simply less usable space with the same seat pitch because of the fixed shell, then I can see why AF would be less comfortable. But the reason would not be related to the recline mechanism, but to the fact that recline is limited due to the additional space of the seat shell.

That said, there is clearly a benefit of having that hard shell in that the person in front of you doesn't recline into your space/face.

FWIW, here are two pics of the AF and LH PE seats in recline. It looks like the LH seat may recline more (a bit hard to tell for sure), but the AF seat is certainly reclined.
Attached Images   
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:04 am

I also sleep better in AF coach than AF PE. I like AF PE for the personal space and better service, but for sleeping it simply sucks. Now, I read that the new generation of PE is more comfortable but I always got the older ones (on 380s and 777s) so cannot speak to this. The above picture seems to show the newer AF PE seats.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by af fp
I also sleep better in AF coach than AF PE. I like AF PE for the personal space and better service, but for sleeping it simply sucks. Now, I read that the new generation of PE is more comfortable but I always got the older ones (on 380s and 777s) so cannot speak to this. The above picture seems to show the newer AF PE seats.
I think that the only new PE seats available now are in the A340 aircraft of the AF offshoot, Joon. Joon does not fly to Panama yet.
The new seats resemble the LH PE seats. The old AF PE seats are very good for day flights but the 'recline' does not feel as comfortable for sleeping as the Joon seats.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
No brainer for me: if you are a tall person (>1m80), I would fly LH W.
Zembla likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by olivedel
No brainer for me: if you are a tall person (>1m80), I would fly LH W.
Exactly why I sleep so bad in the AF PE seat. I'm 1m95.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Geometrically, there's no difference between the seat back angling backward, or the seat cushion sliding forward while the headrest stays longitudinally in place, but just slides down. Either way you end up with a seat moving from this: _ to this: \_.

Now, if the fixed seat shell on the AF seat results in less of an angle between the seat cushion and seat back because there's simply less usable space with the same seat pitch because of the fixed shell, then I can see why AF would be less comfortable. But the reason would not be related to the recline mechanism, but to the fact that recline is limited due to the additional space of the seat shell.

That said, there is clearly a benefit of having that hard shell in that the person in front of you doesn't recline into your space/face.

FWIW, here are two pics of the AF and LH PE seats in recline. It looks like the LH seat may recline more (a bit hard to tell for sure), but the AF seat is certainly reclined.
With all the people here who experienced the AF W seat we can definitely guarantee you that there is a difference. The problem of the AF seat in a shell is that the headrest remains basically at the same place and does not move forward to recline. So you are in a very uncomfortable position for sleeping with your head constantly falling as soon as you fall asleep, and this wakes you up obviously.

Originally Posted by PeteM01
I think that the only new PE seats available now are in the A340 aircraft of the AF offshoot, Joon. Joon does not fly to Panama yet.
The B787 has also new more comfortable W seats.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
With all the people here who experienced the AF W seat we can definitely guarantee you that there is a difference. The problem of the AF seat in a shell is that the headrest remains basically at the same place and does not move forward to recline. So you are in a very uncomfortable position for sleeping with your head constantly falling as soon as you fall asleep, and this wakes you up obviously.

The B787 has also new more comfortable W seats.
The 787 W seats look to be very similar to the old W seats on the 380 and 777, with limited recline in a shell. I would be interested in a consumer report!
New 787 W seats
New A340 W seats
Old W seats
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PeteM01
The 787 W seats look to be very similar to the old W seats on the 380 and 777, with limited recline in a shell. I would be interested in a consumer report!
New 787 W seats
New A340 W seats
Old W seats
make a search in the forum.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak

make a search in the forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28785158-post2.html

That report is up there with “mostly harmless”. Something a little more detailed would help.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
LH seat is better
Zembla likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Geometrically, there's no difference between the seat back angling backward, or the seat cushion sliding forward while the headrest stays longitudinally in place, but just slides down. Either way you end up with a seat moving from this: _ to this: \_.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.