Af atl - ptp

Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:44 pm
pxm
Original Poster

Af atl - ptp

Does anyone know if the Atlanta - Point-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe is going to be cancelled in September? I was scheduled on the PTP - ATL flight on 4 September and was notified that the flight has been cancelled and I am wondering if this is a one-time cancellation or a permanent cancellation of the route.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by pxm
Does anyone know if the Atlanta - Point-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe is going to be cancelled in September? I was scheduled on the PTP - ATL flight on 4 September and was notified that the flight has been cancelled and I am wondering if this is a one-time cancellation or a permanent cancellation of the route.
no specific information, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cancelled permanently as those US-French Antilles lines have never really worked. Were you proposed a rebooking ? You should call them ASAP.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Direct flight are available in June and July only on Wednesday and Sunday, in august, only on Wednesday and in September finished: only with stops (MIA, and more)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by pxm

From November 21, 2017 to June 27, 2018, Air France (AF) will open the Pointe-ŕ-Pitre line (PTP) - Atlanta (ATL) with 2 weekly flights in Airbus 320.

The program will be:
AF608 PTP 16:20 ATL 20:05 Tuesday & Saturday
AF609 ATL 10:40 PTP 15:50 on Wednesday
AF609 ATL 10:15 PTP 15:25 on Sunday

These schedules favor connections with the US, Canada, Fort de France (FDF) and Cayenne (CAY).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:03 pm

Those flights are usually offered at stupid high prices that demonstrate the significant lack of mutual interest between the French West Indies and the US. However, Norwegian has proved over the past three years that the lines are viable, and they provide decent and affordable service. In my view this was an awkward response from AF that rightly failed. The French West Indies need a sustainable service to this large neighboring economy which would allow to further develop the tourism industry. At the current fares, AF are probably running empty planes and losing money while keeping those places isolated from their immediate neighbors, with economies that largely depend on an economic center four thousand miles away.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:25 pm
pxm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by delanotre
From November 21, 2017 to June 27, 2018, Air France (AF) will open the Pointe-ŕ-Pitre line (PTP) - Atlanta (ATL) with 2 weekly flights in Airbus 320.

The program will be:
AF608 PTP 16:20 ATL 20:05 Tuesday & Saturday
AF609 ATL 10:40 PTP 15:50 on Wednesday
AF609 ATL 10:15 PTP 15:25 on Sunday

These schedules favor connections with the US, Canada, Fort de France (FDF) and Cayenne (CAY).
I don't think that this is quite correct as the Air France booking website indicates that there are direct flights between ATL and PTP on Wednesdays through August.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by af fp
Those flights are usually offered at stupid high prices that demonstrate the significant lack of mutual interest between the French West Indies and the US. However, Norwegian has proved over the past three years that the lines are viable, and they provide decent and affordable service. In my view this was an awkward response from AF that rightly failed. The French West Indies need a sustainable service to this large neighboring economy which would allow to further develop the tourism industry. At the current fares, AF are probably running empty planes and losing money while keeping those places isolated from their immediate neighbors, with economies that largely depend on an economic center four thousand miles away.
I am not saying that you are wrong in your post, but I have never seen a proof showing that such routes are viable for Norwegian. Filling a plane is easy, but that doesn’t mean they earn money and only this makes a route viable. There has been 3 main reasons historically for the lack of US visitors to Guadeloupe and Martinique :
- high airfares (this is addressed by Norwegian)
- high prices on the islands and very poor quality of service
- poor English speaking

Those 3 reasons, but especially the 2nd one have sent most US vacationers to neighbouring islands.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:36 pm

Just booked (on 5/30 before the program change) a flight using AF points from FDF thru PTP to ATL. Flight is on 7/10. Looks like we are taking our trip just in time. Hope they don't cancel it in the next few weeks.

We would have booked a round trip with AF, but the Tuesday departure didn't work for us so we are flying on AA to FDF thru MIA.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:45 am

Smile

Originally Posted by pxm
I don't think that this is quite correct as the Air France booking website indicates that there are direct flights between ATL and PTP on Wednesdays through August.
Yes, I precise it on post #3
AF offer was found and post after

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.