Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Way of Avoiding the Hand Baggage Weight Check at CDG?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think it's 12 kg in Y, more in J (or they are more tolerant for J).
Per piece or the sum of both pieces?
Old May 15, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Per piece or the sum of both pieces?
Its 12k in Y and 18k in J for the um.

Maxmum size 55x35x25 for main hand baggage (1 in Y, 2 in J) + 1 accessory 30x40x15

To compare with BA:
56 x 45 x 25 cm max 23k and 40 x 30 x 15 max 23k, so a total max of 46k. A huge difference

Last edited by brunos; May 15, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old May 15, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
Its 12k in Y and 18k in J for the um.

Maxmum size 55x35x25 for main hand baggage (1 in Y, 2 in J) + 1 accessory 30x40x15
Thanks.

Never got the weight check so far, but who knows, maybe one day...
Old May 15, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think it's 12 kg in Y, more in J (or they are more tolerant for J).
When traveling for fun my carry on is usually around 13 kg: a backpack full of professional camera equipment (camera bodies, lenses etc) which I will NEVER let them put in the hold. However, I never had an issue with it, also not in Y. I wonder if there is some kind of exception policy for such equipment.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

If there is lithium battery in it, you could do a trick as it is not allowed in checked luggage
Old May 20, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I transited through CDG twice last year on a US-CDG-VIE itinerary and never had my hand baggage weighed or saw anyone having theirs weighed. On the outbound I used the regular lines and on the way back I used Sky Priority, although not until after about 20 minutes of standing in the regular line and finally got close enough to the front to see the Sky Priority lane.

That said, I did read and comply with the weight/size limits. I was in PE (which also gets 18 kg), but my inter-Europe flight was in regular coach so I played it safe and followed the 12 kg / hand baggage + personal item rule. I found it to be somewhat challenging to meet both the weight and size restrictions. My laptop is too long for the personal item, so my backpack/laptop case became the "hand baggage". This meant I had to switch from a small roller bag for the second item to a soft (and very small) over the shoulder bag instead. I was still able to get three changes of clothes in the bags and stay under the weight limits, but the over the shoulder bag was a lot less comfortable during the long walks through CDG.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grogs
I transited through CDG twice last year on a US-CDG-VIE itinerary and never had my hand baggage weighed or saw anyone having theirs weighed.
AIUI, weight-checking tends to happen to CDG-originating pax rather than those transiting through CDG. I might have missed it but I do not recall anybody reporting having their luggage weight-checked when transiting whereas there have been several reports of hand baggage being weight-checked when originating in CDG. Moreover, and again I stand to be corrected if wrong, it seems to me that reports of weight-checking were all at 2E rather than 2F (or 2G for that matter)
Old May 20, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
AIUI, weight-checking tends to happen to CDG-originating pax rather than those transiting through CDG. I might have missed it but I do not recall anybody reporting having their luggage weight-checked when transiting whereas there have been several reports of hand baggage being weight-checked when originating in CDG. Moreover, and again I stand to be corrected if wrong, it seems to me that reports of weight-checking were all at 2E rather than 2F (or 2G for that matter)
All correct.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Since there is VIE mentioned, the transfer might have included a terminal change from OS codeshare.

FWIW no weight checks at T2E on Saturday (priority lane used)
Old May 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Since there is VIE mentioned, the transfer might have included a terminal change from OS codeshare.

FWIW no weight checks at T2E on Saturday (priority lane used)
It was a regular AF flight as far as I can remember. I was on Delta flight numbers though, which muddies the waters a bit. My transfer on the return was 2F to L. I actually had to reclear security at L, but I think only because I got lost, ended up in K, and then had to take the train K to L.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'll be transiting CDG (inbound on DL from the US, outbound on AF), so I contacted DL via Twitter and was told my carryon would not be weighed at CDG. Hope they're right, but I'd appreciate hearing of any experience to the contrary.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mglvrug
I'll be transiting CDG (inbound on DL from the US, outbound on AF), so I contacted DL via Twitter and was told my carryon would not be weighed at CDG. Hope they're right, but I'd appreciate hearing of any experience to the contrary.
As discussed above, I do not think that your hand luggage will be weighed while in transit (unless you elect to go landside and your AF connection is from 2E). However, the idea that the DL twitter team would have reliable information on this strike me as beyond optimistic.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
However, the idea that the DL twitter team would have reliable information on this strike me as beyond optimistic.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
However, the idea that the DL twitter team would have reliable information on this strike me as beyond optimistic.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Another Data Point

27 May AM around 8:30 AM. No weight check on PARAFE line and EU line (which was short and moving fast, would not have been practical to have a weigh station because they would have to hold people up rather than picking on people waiting in line.) It looked like no weight check on All Passports line but my view may have been partially obscured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.