Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Old May 7, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Is there any possibility that a Dutch (or someone coming from the KL side of AFKL) can take the CEO position?
Old May 7, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Is there any possibility that a Dutch (or someone coming from the KL side of AFKL) can take the CEO position?
Is that a joke?
Unless he graduated from ENA, has many friends among French haute administration and speaks French without any accent.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:26 am
q

Originally Posted by brunos
A problem is that even if employees now accept the generous pay raise offered by AF, they would do so with bitterness and that would augur badly for tservice and the future of AF.
Ridiculous ! But you knew that
Old May 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Would the employees go back and now accept the offer that they've rejected? It would seem like the smart thing to do, since the airline truly has been financially harmed by the strikes and I can't see the employees getting a better deal now. They haven't announced any strikes beyond the 7th and 8th, so perhaps the employees will reconsider.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
Is that a joke?
Unless he graduated from ENA, has many friends among French haute administration and speaks French without any accent.
Sad but true . Whate we are witnessing is a slow live suicide .
Being an old fart , I remember AF 30 or 40 years ago and they were bloody good back then .
Mind you the same could have been said of Sabena and Swissair at that time, and we know what happened to them .
Old May 7, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by casperthegm
Would the employees go back and now accept the offer that they've rejected?
And why would they? They've just achieved what they had been aiming for i.e. disruption leading to publicity and attention from the wider audience plus, above all, they showed who's really in charge, which sets a particularly treacherous precedent for the business as a whole.

G
Old May 7, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by q
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
And why would they? They've just achieved what they had been aiming for i.e. disruption leading to publicity and attention from the wider audience plus, above all, they showed who's really in charge, which sets a particularly treacherous precedent for the business as a whole.

G
True, they've gotten plenty of attention. But the strike has legitimately harmed the airline's financial status. Surely they must realize that asking for more than what was offered is unlikely to get them the results they desire, as the airline financial position is considerably worse than it was before the strikes began. Do the employees not realize this?
Old May 7, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by q
Old May 7, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by af fp
Sad indeed. As I said in the strike thread, Mr Janaillac made a similar mistake to the one Mrs Clinton made: he thought he would win because he is on the side of common sense. It seems that when people have been frustrated for many years, rightly or not, they think differently and fight back when they can.

I think it is an illustration of the fact that thinking cannot be just based on cold facts, perception is key and the balance of power should not be mis-understood.

This will be interesting, although quite scary.
I try to not mix politics and frequent flyer forums, but I had to laugh when somone mentions Mrs Clinton and common sense in the same sentence.

Old May 7, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If it were me, AF would simply withdraw the last offer they had on the table as it has been turned down by unions and staff vote, and return to their original (less attractive) plan.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by casperthegm
the airline financial position is considerably worse than it was before the strikes began. Do the employees not realize this?
I am not sure that they see it that way. What many of them see: the airline is profitable so there is money to distribute, load factors are high so the airline is flourishing, there is inflation in France and therefore they are owed an increase, their salary grid has been frozen and must catch up to old levels now that the company is profitable again.

What they do not see is that the profitability of the group was driven to a large extent by KLM, which means that KLM's profits would pay for AF staff salary increaes; load factors are high but that is because prices have gone done and RASM is under pressure; there is inflation but where does it say that some professions - among them airline staff - have to realize that there is a loss in real wages to account for the new reality of the industry; moving salaries up to previous levels would be the wrong thing to do, wages were too high and needed to go down and *stay* lower than before. And those that do understand that the company's finances are weakened may believe that the state will come to the rescue (see one of the messages further upthread).

The level of understanding of basic economics and business is scaringly low in France, and in combination with the "I am owed a life" mentality that many people still have one way or another (even if less so than before, but still) creates unrealistic demands.
Zembla and Solevita like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I am not sure that they see it that way. What many of them see: the airline is profitable so there is money to distribute, load factors are high so the airline is flourishing, there is inflation in France and therefore they are owed an increase, their salary grid has been frozen and must catch up to old levels now that the company is profitable again.

What they do not see is that the profitability of the group was driven to a large extent by KLM, which means that KLM's profits would pay for AF staff salary increaes; load factors are high but that is because prices have gone done and RASM is under pressure; there is inflation but where does it say that some professions - among them airline staff - have to realize that there is a loss in real wages to account for the new reality of the industry; moving salaries up to previous levels would be the wrong thing to do, wages were too high and needed to go down and *stay* lower than before. And those that do understand that the company's finances are weakened may believe that the state will come to the rescue (see one of the messages further upthread).

The level of understanding of basic economics and business is scaringly low in France, and in combination with the "I am owed a life" mentality that many people still have one way or another (even if less so than before, but still) creates unrealistic demands.
Yes but KLM and AF money is divided within the company. KLM's CEO Elbers fought for that, so KLM is not paying for the AF madness at the moment.
However, when this madness continues and AF collapses, then KLM pays the price eventually.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
Yes but KLM and AF money is divided within the company. KLM's CEO Elbers fought for that, so KLM is not paying for the AF madness at the moment.
However, when this madness continues and AF collapses, then KLM pays the price eventually.
Whilst KL may not be paying directly for the AF madness, the unions are quite irrationally looking at the group results, and not at the AF results.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Zembla
Whilst KL may not be paying directly for the AF madness, the unions are quite irrationally looking at the group results, and not at the AF results.
That might be true.
I am actually curious what arguments those unions really have to justify these strikes while they are paid more than average in the business, the company isn't doing well and they reject a very generous offer?
Old May 8, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Zembla
Exactly that was my point, thanks for putting it clearer than I did. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.