Premium Economy, A777-200

Old Apr 29, 18, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Premium Economy, A777-200

We have a family trip scheduled to Italy this summer. We are flying Delta To Rome (via AMS) and planning on flying Air France from Venice back home to Detroit. We are selecting AF because the 6am Delta flight from Venice is not very appealing. AF has a Noon flight with a 2 hour layover in CDG and then onto the 777-200 for the flight to DTW.

We are flying Delta One to AMS on the A350 because it will give us our best chance to sleep overnight. We are planning on AF Premium Economy because I am not worried about a long sleep on the way home.

AF flies the A777-200ER (three class V3 layout). The layout is the one with 4 rows business class followed by 7 rows economy followed by 3 rows of premium economy followed by the remaining economy cabin. Very strange layout.

I have not been able to find very many reviews and comments about this cabin on this plane.

I am 6'4" and 290 lbs while my wife and son are average size.

I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance.
Old Apr 29, 18, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The layout you described is called “quick Change” which is used only during the peak summer holiday travel period. During that period, the demand for business class travel is much lower, while the demand of Y travel is up for the holidays. So the “new” J cabin of AF was designed in a way they can quickly re-arrange the config, removing some rows of J and replacing them by some more Y seats. This is why you have this strange config of having some Y rows ahead of the W cabin.
To come back to your question about W seats, there are plenty of threads on this subject on this forum, so make a search and you’ll see. Basically the consensus is that it is fine for a day flight (your case), but not very easy to sleep in for a night flight.
Old Apr 29, 18, 10:41 am
Original Poster

​​​​​​Thank you. I did search the boards and didnít see the write-ups or mention of the quick change so I will look again.

Last edited by flannbarr; Apr 29, 18 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 29, 18, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

The Premium Economy reviews have been poor overall online. Iím rethinking this plane and class.
Old Apr 29, 18, 11:46 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I agree with Goldorak, the W seat is ok for a day flight.

BTW, it is not ďA777-200Ē, it is a Boeing 777-200
Old Apr 30, 18, 1:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I don't see the use in using miles or money for AF Premium Economy product. It is bareable for a daytime flight and there is more space width wise, but then the food is economy level and sleeping in these seats is extremely uncomfortable. I prefer a normal economy seat. If I'd get a OpUp from Y to W on a red eye flight, i would refuse and keep the Y seat unless i had a middle Y seat.
It's just too bad because the products looks very good, the lousy ergonomics of the seat ruin it totally. OK and the cheap champagne as well.
tomauk likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 4:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
The W seat is great for a work flight, because of the increased width and space in front (with no-one reclining into you). For leisure, I would go for an economy seat with extra leg-room Having said that, at 290lb, you may value the extra width in W.

In W, meals are slightly enhanced (often a better starter) and usually the cabin is quieter, with fewer people transiting. The latter may not be true in the 'quick change ' format of your plane, however.

W would give you access to the Sky Priority check-in and boarding (which can save some time and aggravation); at some airports you will also be able to access the Priority security lines..

Yoiu should also be eligible for paid access to Sky Team lounges at some airports, but you can also get this by joining Flying Blue before you fly. The lounges at AMS are quite poor, though.
Old Apr 30, 18, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt View Post
If I'd get a OpUp from Y to W on a red eye flight, i would refuse and keep the Y seat unless i had a middle Y seat.
Same. Those seats are awful for sleeping and I'd take a Y seat with a "real" recline, as small as it is, over the slouching W seat. But I agree with others that for a day flight and no plans to sleep, then W is fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: