Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 Minute Connection at Nice Realistic?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

50 Minute Connection at Nice Realistic?

I am looking to book a flight in July, and I am being offered a routing that is cheap (but somewhat circuitous) that involves a 50 minute connection in Nice (Schengen to Schengen.)

Is this a realistic connection? Part of me figures if it's legal but not realistic at least if I miss my connection I will likely get EU compensation.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Would be useful if you stated your itinerary and airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Is this a realistic connection? Part of me figures if it's legal but not realistic at least if I miss my connection I will likely get EU compensation.
Bolding is mine. I will never cease to be surprised by the number of people on this board who seem to think, at the planning step of their trip, about getting EU compensation...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
I am looking to book a flight in July, and I am being offered a routing that is cheap (but somewhat circuitous) that involves a 50 minute connection in Nice (Schengen to Schengen.) Is this a realistic connection?
If that's a T2 to T2 connection, then it's fine. The layout has changed recently and you don't have to reclear security anymore.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Would be useful if you stated your itinerary and airlines.
Air France - arriving from AMS, flying out to CDG (kind of a crazy routing, but about $250 cheaper than the more direct routing.)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You arrive on KL and depart on AF in the same area of the terminal, so 50 min is fine Even a few minutes delay won't be a problem.
That is unless you sit at the back of the plane and there is a random police check on the arrival flight.

Like Goldorak, I feel a bit annoyed by your quest of EC261 on a super cheap tortuous itin.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you on one ticket or two?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL PM
you should still be fine (though i have never connected at NCE), but be aware that you'll probably have to clear passport control as the AMS flights arrive and depart from gates on the other side of it (even though it's in schengen) -- i'm not entirely sure why this is, but it has been the case since at least summer 2016
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by roberta_h
i'm not entirely sure why this is, but it has been the case since at least summer 2016
State of emergency.

It has been gone for months, but the French bureaucracy is clinging to the power of controlling people which had been taken away from them years ago thanks to Schengen agreement.

Last time this year in NTE the policeman justified the control with a grandiloquent "France is in a sate of emergency" which was not true (was cancelled last November).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: FB Plat
Discussing with a Lyon airport employee, it is purely about "running enough controls". Checking passports for all pax coming from foreign countries (even countries belonging to Shengen) is not doable in CDG and ORY, so they do it at other airports.

A questionnable policy that grants a lot of complaints at the concerned airports, but it is a decision from the respective Préfets, so the airports cannot do much about it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you miss a connection when all travel is on a single ticket, you will be rebooked. Just missing a connection does not automatically give any right to compensation.

If, on the other hand, you are buying this via some third-party website that may opaquely be selling you two separate tickets, then if you miss your flight, you will have to arrange your own onward replacement flight.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
A questionnable policy that grants a lot of complaints at the concerned airports, but it is a decision from the respective Préfets, so the airports cannot do much about it.
It sucks indeed.

The power hungry préfets are left to their own pretending to protect us when it is only about regaining a prerogative they lost years ago.

Which politician will dare asking for this to stop?

All the populist politicians will rise denouncing the open borders!

​​​​​​Plus imagine a terror attack by someone who just flew in unchecked from wherever in Schengen area!

Curtailing freedom in the name of security is an old trick used by all bureaucrats in the world.
saraoutou likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:44 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If, on the other hand, you are buying this via some third-party website that may opaquely be selling you two separate tickets, then if you miss your flight, you will have to arrange your own onward replacement flight.
I was wondering this myself, but AMS-NCE-CDG on separate tickets being $250 cheaper than AMS-CDG is not likely (unless only full fare was left).

Air France - arriving from AMS, flying out to CDG (kind of a crazy routing, but about $250 cheaper than the more direct routing.)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you on one ticket or two?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Nico40
If that's a T2 to T2 connection, then it's fine. The layout has changed recently and you don't have to reclear security anymore.
How has it changed? Has been at least a year and a half since i connected T2 to T2 in NCE, when you had the door on the right of the escalator/stairs down to luggage claim, but it seemed to always stay shut after 7PM forcing you out and upstairs for a security clearance.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Responding to comments -

It is one ticket. Booked on Expedia. However, within the 24 hour free cancel period a better connection came up for the same price, so I cancelled and rebooked.

I was not on a "quest' for EU261 compensation - indeed I rebooked on a better connection when one was available. EU261 was simply a factor in the overall equation - as missing the connection would cause me to miss my transatlantic flight at CDG, which would have been a major pain and likely resulted in an overnight in CDG..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.