Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return Flight Canceled. What are my compensation options ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Return Flight Canceled. What are my compensation options ?

The return leg of my LOS-CDG-JFK leg was cancelled today and rebooked for tomorrow but I needed to leave Lagos today because I have an important meeting for Monday evening. I booked a flight with Lufthansa instead which actually gets me into JFK tomorrow afternoon versus the AF flight that gets me into JFK in the evening.

What recourse do I have in terms of refund and/or compensation?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why was your flight cancelled?

Your use of the term "return leg" is very confusing. It seems from the context, that you are in LOS and are flying to JFK via CDG? If that is correct, then indeed you must turn to AF to have them rebook you on the LH service. Some argue that EC 261/2004 requires this, but it is very unclear that the Regulation requires rebooking on other carriers in this circumstance.

The Regulation certainly permits you to cancel your ticket for a full refund of the remaining segments. You may then purchase whatever you want. But, if the new ticket costs more than the refund, that is between you and your travel insurance.

As to compensation, it will depend on the reason for the cancellation. If the reason is not an "extraordinary circumstance" you are entitled to EUR 600. If you remained at LOS, AF would also have a duty of care to cover your hotel and food.

Before purchasing a new ticket, I would certainly find out what the refund for the old one will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.