Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Thai
So those of you who have been thru an Air France Strike, can you tell me what I should expect on the 23rd? I have a Thai Airways flight from BKK to Paris on the 23rd. Arrive in the morning at CDG with a Joon flight to take me to Rome. I get there, the big board says CANCELLED. What happens next? Am I on my own to run around to other airlines and try to find a flight to Rome? or does Air France try to find you a flight? I can envision mass chaos at the Air France counter with people trying to get rebooked on alternate airlines.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:19 pm

The AF booking software will book you automatically on the next available flight. If you download the app, you can see the result real time.
The problem is though that the next available flight might be on the following day or even 2 days. So then you need accommodation etc and you need to contact the customer service.
My experience is that it works best via social media.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

i was looking at the flight number and for that flight number it was always cancelled

Originally Posted by Goldorak

with several tens of flights per day from Paris to Nice on AF, I sincerely doubt they were all cancelled during the different strike episodes.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by BobTL
with previous strikes they announced that flight might be disrupted and travel plans could be changed free of charge?
Delta has posted a waiver for AF/JOON operated flights, though strangely AF hasn't yet.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by bennos
Delta has posted a waiver for AF/JOON operated flights, though strangely AF hasn't yet.
Though there is no waiver from AF yet, my flights on 23/24 became changeable with no fee this morning.
I've called the PSL and they allowed me to preemptively change the flights with a KL route - just to be on the safe side - with no charge at all.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
According to the DL JV desk, rebooking is only permitted on AF/KL/DL metal at the moment, though that could change. This is a bit frustrating for me as I'm booked CDG-SIN, and the KL flight the same day is sold out in my cabin, so basically my choice is change my travel date or play Air France Roulette...
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Thai
Originally Posted by Andy82
Though there is no waiver from AF yet, my flights on 23/24 became changeable with no fee this morning.
I've called the PSL and they allowed me to preemptively change the flights with a KL route - just to be on the safe side - with no charge at all.
That does me no good... I'm arriving at CDG on the 23rd. Can't move my flight to the day before. I'll probably have to book a flight on another airline and then if AF cancels my flight, try to get a refund later.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
You can check your flight status 1-2 days before and already see if your flight has been cancelled. With the recent strike I flew about 3 strike days with Joon from BCN to CDG and none of my flights were cancelled, but other earlier and later flights were. If you are on a busy route like CDG to FCO they have numerous options for rerouting you so you should not suffer too much pain. You could be lucky or unlucky. Nobody knows. But if your flight is cancelled, you will be rerouted; so again, keep a hawk eye on your flight status 1-2 days before departure and take action by contacting AF if your flight gets cancelled and you are not happy with the alternative AF proposes you.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
You can check your flight status 1-2 days before and already see if your flight has been cancelled. With the recent strike I flew about 3 strike days with Joon from BCN to CDG and none of my flights were cancelled, but other earlier and later flights were. If you are on a busy route like CDG to FCO they have numerous options for rerouting you so you should not suffer too much pain. You could be lucky or unlucky. Nobody knows. But if your flight is cancelled, you will be rerouted; so again, keep a hawk eye on your flight status 1-2 days before departure and take action by contacting AF if your flight gets cancelled and you are not happy with the alternative AF proposes you.
yes you are right. However during the last strike, my flight from CDG to JFK was cancelled and their new proposal was a flight departing 2 days later.
Unacceptable and I had to really push and stalk them to get an earlier option that was eventually via Milano.
Now the alternatives are wide open and it might be a good idea to reroute via DL or KL.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:17 pm

Yeah, last time I was booked during a strike I waited it out... big mistake. By the time my flights were canceled my options were basically get stuck in mostly Y middle seats (downgraded from W) or miss my conference.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
Yeah, last time I was booked during a strike I waited it out... big mistake. By the time my flights were canceled my options were basically get stuck in mostly Y middle seats (downgraded from W) or miss my conference.
so, I rebooked by inbound flight via AMS with KL instead of via CDG with AF. I get an error message and my booking has been deleted except the inbound via AMS remained. The outbound is totally gone and I can not change anything in the booking!?
PSL is not able to take phone calls because they are busy.

Awkward!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:46 am

why do AF let you change it but not cancel it for free? I would like to just book with easyjet instead

Last edited by haoxu123; Jun 17, 2018 at 12:54 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
They will only allow cancelling without fee once the flight is confirmed to be cancelled (personal experience).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
The attitude among many in China is to avoid travel in France because it is messy and not worth the aggravation during a short, well-deserved holiday.
But I can tell you Paris is literally invaded by Chinese tourists (and not only Chinese)...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
One thing for sure. I used to fly from the West Coast US to Paris and change in CDG for other destinations in Europe. No longer. I wonder how AF will ever regain confidence of travelers who do have a choice.
There is an expression. Even a dog knows not to soil where he sleeps. Seems that dogs have more sense than the AF unions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.