Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Old Apr 10, 18, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, AS MVP, SPG Plat, Carlson Gold
I was scheduled to fly NCE-CDG-TUN, with a forced overnight at CDG. CDG-TUN was cancelled on the 7th due to the strike. AF couldn't rebook me on anything satisfactory and only offered refund. I ended up booking my own alternative arrangements. Does anyone know what the likelihood of AF is to reimburse the hotel I had for the forced overnight? Unfortunately I can't claim it with my CC (used the wrong CC since my Sapphire was compromised and was waiting for a new one).
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Our flight from CDG to MRS is on a scheduled AF strike day (April 17th) but not on a SNCF strike day. I'm thinking of booking a backup rail ticket or renting a car from CDG. (Our original plan is to pick up a car the day after we arrive at MRS.) Do penalties apply for cancelling a rail ticket on the day of departure? This page has me believe that penalties apply since it mentions After-sales conditions valid during the disruption only https://en.oui.sncf/en/useful-information/traffic-info this page has me believe that penalties don't apply since it states "For all journeys until April 29." https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/strike

Last edited by misterfuss; Apr 11, 18 at 9:10 am
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
In answer to my earlier question about reponse times to cancellation I can report that a response to my request to cancel ( a fully flexible P class fare) was received 8 days after I submitted (I was not able to cancel directly on the website as it had been previously changed). The estimate for a refund is a further 4 - 6 weeks.
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:16 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It’s the 50th anniversary of the …venments de Mai. I am so sorry for all you AF people What with the SNCF, and les aiguilleurs it’s not much fun for you. Such a shame as I’m told the the product has improved a great deal.

Bonne Chance ŗ Tous.
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog View Post
I have an early morning flight from an out station to CDG (JOON) on Thursday April 12, which is still showing normal ops but the inbound flight the night prior is showing canceled already. Do I have to wait until I get a notification that my flight is affected before I can do anything? I have a relatively tight connection for a TATL to the west coast.
Situation sorted itself out and my flight is on time. The entire J portion of the cabin is off duty JOON crew 😐
Old Apr 12, 18, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Itís the 50th anniversary of the …venments de Mai. I am so sorry for all you AF people What with the SNCF, and les aiguilleurs itís not much fun for you. Such a shame as Iím told the the product has improved a great deal.

Bonne Chance ŗ Tous.
Merci Pucci, but it's not that bad. We have BA to fall back on until this all gets sorted.

And we can use our automobiles until the SNCF transforms into whatever it will be.
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:32 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by misterfuss View Post
Our flight from CDG to MRS is on a scheduled AF strike day (April 17th) but not on a SNCF strike day. I'm thinking of booking a backup rail ticket or renting a car from CDG. (Our original plan is to pick up a car the day after we arrive at MRS.) Do penalties apply for cancelling a rail ticket on the day of departure? This page has me believe that penalties apply since it mentions After-sales conditions valid during the disruption only https://en.oui.sncf/en/useful-information/traffic-info this page has me believe that penalties don't apply since it states "For all journeys until April 29." https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/strike
Knowing SNCF, expect both conditions to apply at the same time: until April 29 for strike days only.
Old Apr 12, 18, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Apparently AF is getting increasingly affected by the strike. It appears that over 40% of its longhauls were cancelled Wednesday with severe delays on some others.
Old Apr 12, 18, 11:33 pm

Probably a newb question, but if I'm on a cancelled flight, will they rebook me into the same class on another flight?
Old Apr 13, 18, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nock View Post
Probably a newb question, but if I'm on a cancelled flight, will they rebook me into the same class on another flight?
yes unless there are not able to find you a place in this class.
Old Apr 13, 18, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by rosensfole View Post
I've put in a compo claim for my cancelled SIN-CDG on 31/03, flying a day early meant losing one night of unrecoverable apartment fees, my long distance calls to the VIP line in the UK plus I had to cancel a meeting that was important for me. I don't expect to receive anything but you gotta be in it to win it

Edit: Just had a call from the UK support centre; I got the full EUR800 voucher plus another for £88 to cover the apartment fees lost. Result ^
Thanks for this update. I submitted a claim for my flight from AMS-RUN and hope I receive a response as quickly as you did. My flight on the return was cancelled and rescheduled twice. Do you know if I submit a separate claim for that or is it just one claim for all of the cancellations and rebookings?
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by acorry View Post
Thanks for this update. I submitted a claim for my flight from AMS-RUN and hope I receive a response as quickly as you did. My flight on the return was cancelled and rescheduled twice. Do you know if I submit a separate claim for that or is it just one claim for all of the cancellations and rebookings?
I believe (but check) that it's one claim but put ALL the detail into the claim. You'll get the full entitlement assuming the claim is agreed.

WRT the speed of response; this may be due to my having access to the VIP line and a dedicated AF TA but don't know for sure.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:40 pm

If my flight is cancelled for the strike (Cairo - Paris) can I:

- Ask Air France to put me on a Lufthansa flight which is similar timing as my original one?
- Ask Air France to change my origin city (from Cairo-Paris which is cancelled to Beirut-Paris instead which is running) since I'll be in Beirut earlier that day anyways?

Basically how much lenient are air france being in rebookings in case the flight is cancelled.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Apr 16, 18 at 3:05 pm
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:24 pm

Forgive my multi-questioned newb post in advance. I'm flying AF from YVR to CDG on May 2, arriving on the 3rd and then on with Alitalia (AF partner) that afternoon. I return June 1 from CDG. Although a continuation of the AF strike beyond April is not announced, I fear the possibility. The questions. Is the cancellation of a flight for the entire trip, or just the affected leg? Will I have the option of keeping the return leg? Since the AF strike is often timed with the rail, which has a calendar of strikes till June, will an AF strike on the 3rd of May lead to cancellation of my flight leaving on the 2nd? How are passengers being notified of their options when a cancellation is announced? Live phone, facebook, or SMS? If not a phone call, perhaps someone could describe the process and any advice they can offer. Merci

Last edited by kvncrw; Apr 17, 18 at 1:35 am
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
If my flight is cancelled for the strike (Cairo - Paris) can I:

- Ask Air France to put me on a Lufthansa flight which is similar timing as my original one?
- Ask Air France to change my origin city (from Cairo-Paris which is cancelled to Beirut-Paris instead which is running) since I'll be in Beirut earlier that day anyways?

Basically how much lenient are air france being in rebookings in case the flight is cancelled.
I believe that it depends on so many parameters (flights load, ticket fare, status, local arrangements with other airlines..) that it is best to simply call them and propose alternatives.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: