FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1901220-af-strike-june-23rd-june-26th-suspended-except-one-union-spaf.html)

vilntrav Apr 6, 2018 4:38 am

Strike tomorrow 7th April

According to "Le Figaro", 70% of the flights will not be affected.

jakemalloy Apr 6, 2018 8:49 am

My flight was cancelled. They are offering to move me the next day, but what is the protocol for hotel? I am at the Park Hyatt Vendome - best advice?

Also, I would prefer to fly on another airline on my original day of travel - what is the best way to pressure them into making this a reality assuming seats are open vs trying to just push me to the next day?

jakemalloy Apr 6, 2018 3:38 pm

Update, and an option for anyone whose flight is cancelled. I called Chase Sapphire Reserve and will be getting a $1000 delayed travel benefit to use. Perhaps your credit card offers the same. Will be staying at the Park Hyatt. Also filling similar receipts with AF.

brunos Apr 6, 2018 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by jakemalloy (Post 29609799)
My flight was cancelled. They are offering to move me the next day, but what is the protocol for hotel? I am at the Park Hyatt Vendome - best advice?

Also, I would prefer to fly on another airline on my original day of travel - what is the best way to pressure them into making this a reality assuming seats are open vs trying to just push me to the next day?

You mean that you had a flight CDG-JFK on Saturday that got cancelled and they cannot reroute you to JFK on that same day, just the next day?

misterfuss Apr 7, 2018 1:01 pm

I understand they cancel flights in advance, but how far in advance does Air France cancel flights? Also, do they also cancel other flights on the departure day? We are flying in to CDG on United arriving at 10:35 on Tuesday April 17 (a declared strike day) and connecting to a 1pm flight to Marseille. I checked today's operations and see that they operated only 2 out of 6 non-stop flights. The flight in the time slot we are booked on operated 2 hours late. If they cancel the outbound flight, will they keep our reservation for the return flight or would the entire reservation be cancelled? I'm trying to make back up plans, but they are more expensive than keeping the original itinerary.

jakemalloy Apr 7, 2018 3:17 pm

Yes. They cancelled our flight on Friday - the day before - and could only book us on a Delta flight on Sunday. There was never even an option for an alternative as all other flights were full. There was business class open but they would not authorize it. The flight leaving 45 min after ours was not cancelled. Calls to Air France were met with a "call back later" message. They are on strike - their motivation to help is quite low. And it seems much of their calls are now routed to Delta people in Atlanta - useless since they are 6 hours behind.

Goldorak Apr 8, 2018 2:32 am

Originally Posted by misterfuss (Post 29613729)
Also, do they also cancel other flights on the departure day?

It can happen but it becomes quite rare now.

Originally Posted by misterfuss (Post 29613729)
If they cancel the outbound flight, will they keep our reservation for the return flight or would the entire reservation be cancelled?

Of course they will keep the rest of the itinerary. The cancellation is not your responsibility (you didn't miss intentionally a flight).

charcoal Apr 8, 2018 5:56 am

stuck in St. Petersburg

I'm scheduled to fly on Air France from Paris to St. Petersburg on April 28 and return on May 4 - both dates are listed as possible strike days by Air France. What options do I have if my May 4 return flight to Paris is cancelled and my tourist visa expires at midnight on May 4? An Air France agent told me this week I will receive a 24 hour advance notice of a cancelled flight - hardly helpful if I'm already in St. Petersburg and cannot leave on May 4.

Goldorak Apr 8, 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by hermanmhire (Post 29615591)
I'm scheduled to fly on Air France from Paris to St. Petersburg on April 28 and return on May 4 - both dates are listed as possible strike days by Air France.

I don't know where you've seen that. None of those 2 dates are currently listed as possible strike days.
Should this happen, and if AF cannot rebook you on other airline the same day, I'm sure AF will help you to handle the visa issue by providing a statement of flight cancellation that can be used with Russian authorities. This situation can happen outside a strike action, when a flight is cancelled for whatever reason and they have for sure a SOP in place, especially in a country like Russia which has such a stupid visa rule (visa valid only for the exact duration of your stay).

charcoal Apr 8, 2018 12:12 pm

Air France Strike Dates

Please refer to this article which appeared in "The Local France" online blog for projected Air France strike dates. April 28 and May 4 are listed as projected strike dates schedule on attached calendars.

"The strike calendar for April in France is filling up with Air France unions announcing four new dates and rail workers set for 34 more days of industrial action. Here's an updated look at the days you might want to avoid plane and train travel this spring.If you are coming to France in the next few days and months or you just live in France and rely on train travel then there are quite a few dates to get in your diary.

Rail workers have long since made their intentions clear to hold a series of two-day rolling strikes until April 28th.

The first of these two-day strikes was held on Tuesday April 3rd and Wednesday April 4th and rail users were given a sign of what they can expect over the coming weeks with services severely disrupted.

Only one out of eight high-speed TGV trains were running and only a quarter of services in the Paris region.

Rail workers believe the tactic of striking for two days, then returning to work for three days, before another two day strike will maximize the disruption to the rail network whilst not hitting them as hard in the pocket as a continuous rolling strike.

The dates below in blue show when the rail strikes are due to take place. Unions have vowed they will go ahead unless the government backs down on its reform plans. Both sides seem determined to fight their corner so it looks unlikely a compromise will be reached that will see the strikes called off.

Air France workers, including pilots, cabin crews and ground staff, have also been getting in on the action too.

They have been holding a number of one-day strikes since February but have now decided to tighten the screw on company chiefs by announcing four new dates. Significantly they coincide with the rail workers strike as unions for the airline's workers, who are fighting for a 6 percent pay rise, want to maximize disruption.

The four dates announced are April 17th and 18th plus April 23rd and 24th.

The dates in the calendar with a red mark under them are when Air France staff are due to strike in April. On previous strike days around a quarter of flights have been cancelled to and from airports all over France.

With Air France bosses insisting the company will only offer a 1 percent pay rise to staff a compromise that would see the industrial action called off does not seem likely either.

In which case anyone relying on plane or train travel over the next few months might want to make alternative plans."

Fabo.sk Apr 8, 2018 12:25 pm

Am I right to think HOP! flights are not affected?

FranckM Apr 8, 2018 1:47 pm

Could it be a good solution to reach DL callcenter to change a booking instead of the AF one that is full 24/7?
booking is a mixed of AF and DL flight but initially done on AF website.

charcoal Apr 8, 2018 1:49 pm

Thank you for the recommendation.

JorgeGomez Apr 8, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by hermanmhire (Post 29615591)
I'm scheduled to fly on Air France from Paris to St. Petersburg on April 28 and return on May 4 - both dates are listed as possible strike days by Air France. What options do I have if my May 4 return flight to Paris is cancelled and my tourist visa expires at midnight on May 4? An Air France agent told me this week I will receive a 24 hour advance notice of a cancelled flight - hardly helpful if I'm already in St. Petersburg and cannot leave on May 4.

Did I miss something? I cannot find news for strike on may 4th. On this day I have a flight CDG-PTY. So maybe it will affect me.

charcoal Apr 8, 2018 3:34 pm

Air France appears to be following the rail union projected strike calendar. Thus far AF has projected strikes days through April 24 with April 28, May 3 and May 4 being the next possible strike dates. Should the rail union strike continue, and Air France continue to pattern its strike dates after the rail union schedule, then those dates (28, 3 and 4) would follow. It will be important to continue to monitor the negotiations between the French government and the union workers who are demanding salary increases greater than the government is willing to grant.