Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Old Apr 26, 18, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by kvncrw View Post
I'm flying in May, also. I posted a few questions above I was able to get answered (sort of) by calling the AF North America number today. The rep, I assume from DL, answered my questions after referring them someone else on another line. So, all cancellation notifications are by email and will be followed by a second email with a change in flight option. The rep said it was best to contact AF by this number to confirm discuss other flight options. As well, even though one leg of the flight is affected by a strike, AF will cancel the entire flight. I'm flying on the 2nd and arriving on the 3rd. The rep said, in her experience, a strike on the day of landing will not affect a flight departing on the day previous. To quote Michael Scott, 'That's what she said'. I'm curious if others whose flights have been cancelled concur with the reps advice. Finally, I'm a babe in the woods compared with most forumers here, but I guess not coming from Europe means no compo. I'll be missing a connecting flight, possibly. If I can, a dumb question. Can compensation be claimed for the cancelled AF flight if one is accepted for the following day? Merci
Busy pondering and dithering. Flying YVR-CDG-FCO leaving May 2 arriving on the 3rd CDG, the first day of two days of strike. Almost no alternatives I can see that either are very lengthy, expensive and missing the connection. AF has offered a voucher for cancelling a flight on the newly announced dates. Should I gamble and change my arrival and departure airports completely? A rhetorical question. Hopefully, some can answer three questions. Has anyone had a flight cancelled scheduled a day BEFORE the planned strike day? Second, is the cancellation voucher the full value of the purchased flight? Might be obvious, but I suppose if one cancelled a flight, no other compensation can be claimed, ie. the loss from the connecting flight? Merci
Old Apr 26, 18, 5:32 pm

WE LUCKED OUT. The strike dates are on either side of our trip. What a relief.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:07 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Except maybe Guillaume Pepy
Indeed. And that would be terrible.

By the way my Twitter timeline is full of AF staff: they all vote yes and are all angry at SNPL.
Old Apr 27, 18, 2:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
And I wouldn’t bet on the pilots cancelling the strike on May 3 and 4 only because of the referendum still going on.

The flight I am due to take (last CDG-JFK of the day on May 3rd) has been cancelled on all strike days so far, including the days before the strike days. Since I have no possibility to travel differently nor to change my commitments I‘ll just keep the booking and hope for a low striker turnout.

It‘s for cases like this that AF‘s generous offers are irrelevant. Rebooking? No, this is the only flight that works for me. Refund? The ticket is refundable anyway.

Old Apr 27, 18, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
And I wouldn’t bet on the pilots cancelling the strike on May 3 and 4 only because of the referendum still going on.
The flight I am due to take (last CDG-JFK of the day on May 3rd) has been cancelled on all strike days so far, including the days before the strike days. Since I have no possibility to travel differently nor to change my commitments I‘ll just keep the booking and hope for a low striker turnout.

It‘s for cases like this that AF‘s generous offers are irrelevant. Rebooking? No, this is the only flight that works for me. Refund? The ticket is refundable anyway.
In this vein, my flight (AF66 CDG to LAX) on May 4th is one that has historically had high probability of being canceled, but several of the other flights on the same route typically are not canceled. Would they entertain a preemptive move to another flight the same day or only to flights on non-strike days? Also, does anything logistically change if this is a codeshare flight booked on Delta rather than through AF directly?
Old Apr 27, 18, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nock View Post
In this vein, my flight (AF66 CDG to LAX) on May 4th is one that has historically had high probability of being canceled, but several of the other flights on the same route typically are not canceled. Would they entertain a preemptive move to another flight the same day or only to flights on non-strike days? Also, does anything logistically change if this is a codeshare flight booked on Delta rather than through AF directly?
you certainly cannot make that kind of bet and I can almost guarantee you that, if you do that, your rebooked flight will get cancelled while your originally-booked one will stay
And for your 2nd question, it doesn’t change anything being booked under DL or AF.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Could the mods change the thread title to add the new dates?
Old Apr 27, 18, 2:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I have tried to follow the thread but each situation is a little different. I have an AF flight on May 17 so hoping this is not a strike day. However, if it is what happens? I am in J (business) flying LHR-CDG-NTE leaving at 3.50pm and arriving at 11pm. Will AF rebook onto a flight with another airline, pay for a hotel room if I need to overnight in LHR or CDG if they cannot rebook me? I have no status with AF or Skyteam. I actually booked myself into J due to potential strike as I assume they will look after J passengers before Y, or at least that is my hope. I looked at *A airlines but the prices kept going up and up for this period (I am guessing due to the potential strike for AF). Thank you for your feedback.
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
So I have tried to follow the thread but each situation is a little different. I have an AF flight on May 17 so hoping this is not a strike day. However, if it is what happens? I am in J (business) flying LHR-CDG-NTE leaving at 3.50pm and arriving at 11pm. Will AF rebook onto a flight with another airline, pay for a hotel room if I need to overnight in LHR or CDG if they cannot rebook me? I have no status with AF or Skyteam. I actually booked myself into J due to potential strike as I assume they will look after J passengers before Y, or at least that is my hope. I looked at *A airlines but the prices kept going up and up for this period (I am guessing due to the potential strike for AF). Thank you for your feedback.
You would most likely get a seat on the KLM flight(s), connecting in Amsterdam. Whilst I can't see any issues with the Heathrow to Amsterdam's segment (there are countless KLM services from London), they may however struggle to get you to Nantes on the very same day as there's only 1 daily flight from Schiphol (I could be wrong, though). In any case, I would keep up with the latest and, as soon as any further potential strike action is promulgated through the official channels, I'd strongly recommend the pro-active option i.e. getting in touch with the airline and asking to be re-accommodated accordingly.

G
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
I was on the phone with Delta/AF/KLM elite member line last night getting my May 4 AF flight (SFO-MXP) rescheduled and was told that the dates for the strike, according to their latest bulletin, were to last May 3 THROUGH May 9. Which I thought was odd since all other reports state just May 3, 4, 7, 8. They insisted they had the most updated bulletin. Further, they did not want to put me on KLM intra-Europe (AMS-MXP) since those legs are potentially serviced by HOP! which I also thought odd since I thought HOP! was strictly Air France. In any case, had no issues switching to Delta flights. Fingers crossed my return is on a non-strike day.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:24 pm

booked on the AF 5/3 LAX-CDG and we have a non refundable $2200 Paris rental for 5 days and major things to do late afternoon 5/4.

Nervous about gambling. Should I book the Norwegian flight going over OW , keeping the AF return 5/9? Would Air France convert my flight to a return OW and refund me the cost of the outgoing OW?

anyone want to give me odds of this outgoing being cancelled?
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Rebooked my flights through EasyJet, not taking any chances and had no problem getting tickets refunded. I don't like flying EasyJet but at least they are flying.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by GeminisTwin View Post
I was on the phone with Delta/AF/KLM elite member line last night getting my May 4 AF flight (SFO-MXP) rescheduled and was told that the dates for the strike, according to their latest bulletin, were to last May 3 THROUGH May 9. Which I thought was odd since all other reports state just May 3, 4, 7, 8. They insisted they had the most updated bulletin. Further, they did not want to put me on KLM intra-Europe (AMS-MXP) since those legs are potentially serviced by HOP! which I also thought odd since I thought HOP! was strictly Air France. In any case, had no issues switching to Delta flights. Fingers crossed my return is on a non-strike day.
Unfortunately, the service center got it all wrong - the strike dates are 3, 4, 7, 8 and AMS-MXP is never flown by HOP!
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, will see how AF1666 CDG-FLR goes on the 4th... AS issued so may make this interesting.
Old Apr 28, 18, 3:46 am

Booked YUL-CDG-FCO-PMO on AF-AF-AZ in J. First leg was on May 2 with the CDG-FCO leg on AF as well. Last 4 strike days the CDG-FCO flight was cancelled and couldn't risk a delay. Called customer service last night and they rebooked me on KLM from YUL through to PMO. Not super excited to be on old KLM metal leaving three hours earlier (love that lake AF 10pm est departure for sleeping) and missing on an overnight flight on the new AF J seats......but avoiding getting stuck in CDG and missing out on this important trip is worth it. Customer service was great and really easy to deal with. I'm confident that when May 3 rolls around I'll find out the CDG-FCO flight wasn't cancelled and this was all for naught. But....why take the chance. I don't need to spend extra time in Paris.
DakotahSD likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: