Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum
After my strike affected cancelled SIN-CDG flight I applied for an got compensation under EC261/2004 (plus a bit extra) after filling in the online compo form. I arrived before lunch the following day.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Are there any indications already about the likelihood of AF continuing their strikes in May?
Flying SEA-CDG on 5/9, really hoping it doesn't get extended further...

It's an award ticketed through DL and the agent advised that they can't rebook me on the DL flight until AF confirms future dates unless I want to pay more than double the mileage cost.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1HQ2D6
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Reuters
So far, the walkouts have cost parent group Air France-KLM 220 million euros ($272 million)

G
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Ultimate / Accor ALL Platinum / Hilton Diamond
​​​​​​So AF worker's union decided today to add more strike days begin May. They will announce these days the 26 of April as Pilot's planning for May will be guarantee after the 25th of April, and so if there is a strike, AF will not have the ability to force pilot which not do the strike to change his planning to make flight for which pilot is on strike!

Good news is that it seems that some employees on strike will stop do it as the last AF head proposal is considered as a better deal so the next two days of strike already planned (23th and 24th of April) the cancel planes and employees on strike will be checked upon last strike figures. Hope that 23th and 24th the strike will be less followed by employees!

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Was chatting with a golf buddy.
He reminded me that AF pilots are asking for an 11% raise (6% is for the others).
He said that AF statistics (say 30%) on striking pilots is misleading.
The rostering of pilots is quite complex, but the simplistic idea is as follows.
If a pilot is not scheduled to fly on a strike day he does not have to register as striker. So 30% could turn out to be a fairly large number of pilots scheduled to fly.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by ejg930
Flying SEA-CDG on 5/9, really hoping it doesn't get extended further...

It's an award ticketed through DL and the agent advised that they can't rebook me on the DL flight until AF confirms future dates unless I want to pay more than double the mileage cost.
I'm flying in May, also. I posted a few questions above I was able to get answered (sort of) by calling the AF North America number today. The rep, I assume from DL, answered my questions after referring them someone else on another line. So, all cancellation notifications are by email and will be followed by a second email with a change in flight option. The rep said it was best to contact AF by this number to confirm discuss other flight options. As well, even though one leg of the flight is affected by a strike, AF will cancel the entire flight. I'm flying on the 2nd and arriving on the 3rd. The rep said, in her experience, a strike on the day of landing will not affect a flight departing on the day previous. To quote Michael Scott, 'That's what she said'. I'm curious if others whose flights have been cancelled concur with the reps advice. Finally, I'm a babe in the woods compared with most forumers here, but I guess not coming from Europe means no compo. I'll be missing a connecting flight, possibly. If I can, a dumb question. Can compensation be claimed for the cancelled AF flight if one is accepted for the following day? Merci
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by kvncrw
I'm flying in May, also. I posted a few questions above I was able to get answered (sort of) by calling the AF North America number today. The rep, I assume from DL, answered my questions after referring them someone else on another line. So, all cancellation notifications are by email and will be followed by a second email with a change in flight option. The rep said it was best to contact AF by this number to confirm discuss other flight options. As well, even though one leg of the flight is affected by a strike, AF will cancel the entire flight. I'm flying on the 2nd and arriving on the 3rd. The rep said, in her experience, a strike on the day of landing will not affect a flight departing on the day previous. To quote Michael Scott, 'That's what she said'. I'm curious if others whose flights have been cancelled concur with the reps advice. Finally, I'm a babe in the woods compared with most forumers here, but I guess not coming from Europe means no compo. I'll be missing a connecting flight, possibly. If I can, a dumb question. Can compensation be claimed for the cancelled AF flight if one is accepted for the following day? Merci
I'm not into the ins and outs of the EC261, but AF is a European airline, so that covers the 'airline' requirements, doesn't matter where the flight starts or finishes. Cancellation seems to allow for a claim, but then so does arriving 6+ hours late. I'd say you have a good case...
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Solevita
I'm not into the ins and outs of the EC261, but AF is a European airline, so that covers the 'airline' requirements, doesn't matter where the flight starts or finishes. Cancellation seems to allow for a claim, but then so does arriving 6+ hours late. I'd say you have a good case...
That is true. Compensation is for all flights from and to the EU countries and Switzerland, (Iceland, Norway? as they are part of the European Single Sky - but not sure) - irrespective of which nationality the claimant is, where he/she resides, where the airline is based. In theory, a Japanese passenger living in Brazil and flying on a Ethiopian Airlines flight from Rome to Washington could claim compensation. It’s the « Rome » bit that makes this flight qualify for compensation rules.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold

That is true. Compensation is for all flights from and to the EU countries and Switzerland, (Iceland, Norway? as they are part of the European Single Sky - but not sure) - irrespective of which nationality the claimant is, where he/she resides, where the airline is based. In theory, a Japanese passenger living in Brazil and flying on a Ethiopian Airlines flight from Rome to Washington could claim compensation. It’s the « Rome » bit that makes this flight qualify for compensation rules.
That is not really correct.
What you said is true for all EU airlines. But a non-EU airlines flying to EU is not covered by EC261. For non-EU airlines, EC261 only applies on for flights departing from EU.
So an Ethiopian airline flight to Rome would not be covered (but it is from Rome)
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by brunos
That is not really correct.
What you said is true for all EU airlines. But a non-EU airlines flying to EU is not covered by EC261. For non-EU airlines, EC261 only applies on for flights departing from EU.
So an Ethiopian airline flight to Rome would not be covered (but it is from Rome)
Oops, yes, you are of course right.

Apologies for the misleading information.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:47 am

The CEO has had it with the strikers and threatens to resign:
"Grève pour les salaires chez Air France: le PDG Jean-Marc Janaillac met sa démission en jeu" : (article in French)

Last edited by San Gottardo; Apr 20, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
The CEO has had it with the strikers and threatens to resign: "Grève pour les salaires chez Air France: le PDG Jean-Marc Janaillac met sa démission en jeu" :
Very interesting. And very bold. I sincerely hope he gets the vote through or it will not only be the end of his career at AF/KL, but imho also the beginning of the end of AF/KL itself.

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am very confident on a massive vote to approve the CEO proposal and those morons of SNPL will eat their hat and lose the face. But that will be a very cheap price to pay for all the harm they will have made.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
AF Press release of today

Since 22 February 2018, Air France has faced nine days of strikes over pay demands. Following the completion of the negotiations, and to put an end to the conflict, on 16 April Management drafted a final multi-year pay proposal ensuring a 7% wage increase over 4 years, in addition to the individual increases. This agreement based on a “growth pact for the future” has been proposed in order to pursue the growth path initiated with Trust Together while recognizing staffs’ efforts in a balanced way as promised by Management. This agreement, open to signature by the representative unions until today, Friday 20 April at midday, has not received the majority signatures required.

Since November 2016, Air France has been committed to an offensive growth strategy, which has notably resulted in the launch of a new airline, the entry of new partners into the company’s capital, the signature of new alliances, new route launches and resumed hiring.

This positive dynamic designed to enable Air France to make up for lost ground produced initial results in 2017 but must be continued in an uncertain context and facing increasingly fierce competition.

To date, the estimated cost of this conflict is over 220 million euros. To allow the company to find a way out of this deadlock situation with serious consequences for the company’s customers and staff, Air France Chairman, Jean-Marc Janaillac, has decided to launch a consultation with all the staff.

This consultation by electronic vote, which will begin on 26 April and end early in May, will invite all company staff to give their opinion on the agreement proposed on 16 April 2018.

Air France must emerge from this impasse. In the face of such a severe situation and because the company’s future could be under threat, I have decided to launch this consultation with all staff who over several years have been fully committed to improving Air France’s competitiveness. I cannot accept the disaster unfolding whereas a large majority of staff are not taking part in the strike action. Therefore, to put an end to this disaster and re-affirm the entire company’s commitment to the growth dynamic, I am calling on everyone to make their voices heard. I will be personally accountable for the consequences of this vote”, Jean-Marc Janaillac, Chairman of Air France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.