Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by kvncrw
... How are passengers being notified of their options when a cancellation is announced? Live phone, facebook, or SMS? If not a phone call, perhaps someone could describe the process and any advice they can offer. Merci
I don't know if there is an official method. It looks like our flight cgd > iah tomorrow has been cancelled. I didn't find out until I went to check in on the app on my phone. It says the flight is cancelled in the app, but it does not say the flight is cancelled when I log into the Air France website yet. On hold right now trying to get through to the call center...

EDIT: and after sitting on hold for 30 mins, it said all their agents are currently busy and to try again later, and hung up on me. Great service.

Last edited by Travlur; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:01 am

EDIT: and after sitting on hold for 30 mins, it said all their agents are currently busy and to try again later, and hung up on me. Great service.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:54 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
    I thought that the AF call center in the US was handled by DL.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:14 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

WOW, AF is now planning near 50% of cancelled longhaul flights today.
    As usual CDG-HKG is cancelled.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:19 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
    Originally Posted by kvncrw
    Forgive my multi-questioned newb post in advance. I'm flying AF from YVR to CDG on May 2, arriving on the 3rd and then on with Alitalia (AF partner) that afternoon. I return June 1 from CDG. Although a continuation of the AF strike beyond April is not announced, I fear the possibility. The questions. Is the cancellation of a flight for the entire trip, or just the affected leg? Will I have the option of keeping the return leg? Since the AF strike is often timed with the rail, which has a calendar of strikes till June, will an AF strike on the 3rd of May lead to cancellation of my flight leaving on the 2nd? How are passengers being notified of their options when a cancellation is announced? Live phone, facebook, or SMS? If not a phone call, perhaps someone could describe the process and any advice they can offer. Merci
    If a flight of your itinerary is cancelled because of the strike, it affects only this flight. However, to reroute you, they may completely change your itinerary to allow you to reach your final destination as soon as possible.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
    If you're in USA can't you try calling Delta? They should have access and make any changes (you most likely will be reaccomodated on a delta flight anyways).

That's my plan, on calling delta when my flight on 24th April (next strike date) is cancelled.
    I am not in the US, but I did try calling the US call center and they were not open at the time. I am rebooked now, on the same flight the following day (19th). If it helps anyone, I called Chase (SR card), and they said that a strike was not covered, but I would still be able to get (up to) $500 per person for the trip delay. So good news is one more day in Paris, bad news is it is going to cost me a bit. Had to pay a $400 change fee to change my intra-us flights on the return.

Last edited by Travlur; Apr 17, 2018 at 6:20 am
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
    Sorry in advance if question is answered above but flying AF in country 5/7 through 5/14, few flights already booked. Was warned they may still be on strike during this week, any updates on this at all at this time?
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:47 pm

I was booked on a paid La Premiere ticket from SFO to CDG to BUD April 18. Got a call yesterday from the AF desk in SFO thathat the flight was going to be cancelled. I was told that I would be booked onto Lufthansa First on the same day (April 18) from SFO-FRA-BUD. I asked them to give me a longer layover in FRA so that I could enjoy the FCT so they reissued me a ticket. When I looked at the ticket I saw they had put me into business class (despite my original fare being a paid F ticket).

I called them today and fought on the phone with AF for almost 2 hours that I should be put on an F fare and not J, and if they were going to put me into J they would have to give me a refund. I spoke to 3 different people who tried to tell e that either business was the same as first or that Lufthansa didn’t have a first class cabin on their A380 that goes from SFO to FRA. Total bull. I’ve flown both business and first with Lufthansa and had to tell them that there was indeed a difference between the two and that Lufthansa definitely has a first cabin. Eventually they looked it up and caved and changed my ticket to F with Lufthansa.

Worst part is that I was looking forward to this La Premiere trip for months and its left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I have never flown with AF before. I am flying the return leg in La Premiere with them and it appears to be a non-strike day, but its unfortunately the A380 which I am told is an inferior F cabin.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this strike?

Last edited by Itzitzitz; Apr 17, 2018 at 6:54 pm
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:52 pm

Quick Update - my flight was cancelled in early April from CDG to JFK. I was notified today that per the EU regulation we will be receiving $600 Euro each in addition to payment for hotel, food, etc.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:58 pm

You were rebooked into the same class at a later date?
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:41 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Hong Kong is a small world and the French expat community share their experience. A friend was supposed to fly HKG-CDG in J on 19th evening at 22:50
    The flight just got cancelled. He was offered a Y seat on the KL flight leaving at noon (flight oversold allready). He declined as he has meetings all day. Another offered option was VN in J via HAN, but that leaves at 2:30pm. CX261 departing at 00:05 on 20 April (basically evening of 19th) is totally full in all classes.
    Most pax have been moved to AF185 departing the next day (20 April 22:50) but that is now full.
    The problem is that most flights to Europe on all airlines are very full in that period. And outstations have instructions to minimize rerouting costs.
    Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
    Quick Update - my flight was cancelled in early April from CDG to JFK. I was notified today that per the EU regulation we will be receiving $600 Euro each in addition to payment for hotel, food, etc.
    Did you have to file a claim or do something to get this, or was it automatic?
    Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Itzitzitz
    Worst part is that I was looking forward to this La Premiere trip for months and its left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I have never flown with AF before. I am flying the return leg in La Premiere with them and it appears to be a non-strike day, but its unfortunately the A380 which I am told is an inferior F cabin.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this strike?
    Yes. We also have paid La Premiere tickets, and our first time flying AF long haul. Took me about 3 hours to get flights changed, and I also had to change our hotel stay, transportation, and other flights. I am not saying we won't fly AF again, but these problems will affect our decision and I am sure we will choose another airline in the near future.
    Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
    If a flight of your itinerary is cancelled because of the strike, it affects only this flight. However, to reroute you, they may completely change your itinerary to allow you to reach your final destination as soon as possible.
    Merci, Goldorak.

Last edited by kvncrw; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
    Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by brunos
    Hong Kong is a small world and the French expat community share their experience. A friend was supposed to fly HKG-CDG in J on 19th evening at 22:50
    The flight just got cancelled. He was offered a Y seat on the KL flight leaving at noon (flight oversold allready). He declined as he has meetings all day. Another offered option was VN in J via HAN, but that leaves at 2:30pm. CX261 departing at 00:05 on 20 April (basically evening of 19th) is totally full in all classes.
    Most pax have been moved to AF185 departing the next day (20 April 22:50) but that is now full.
    The problem is that most flights to Europe on all airlines are very full in that period. And outstations have instructions to minimize rerouting costs.
    Greetings. Any idea how your friend communicated with AF? Phone, SMS, social media, etc.? Merci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.