FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF Safety Video/ads: No more Glass Candy - Warm in the Winter ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1899406-af-safety-video-ads-no-more-glass-candy-warm-winter.html)

Andy82 Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm

AF Safety Video/ads: No more Glass Candy - Warm in the Winter ?

Not sure how news is this and if this is OT, but I was a little sad about it.

While flying the 787 from CDG to LHR I noticed that during the safety videos there was a different background music than the variation of "Warm in the Winter" from Glass Candy ("France in the air..").
The new background music is definitely less interesting, too quiet and less "corporate identity" than WITW. While I found it a little annoying when it first came out, I become addicted to that catchy music.
Today I've even seen a tv ad (on the italian tv) with the new music and the same video that used to have WITW. It really feels like an afterthought.

I'm curious if there is any motivation of this switch rather than just a change for the sake of change.

Goldorak Mar 18, 2018 2:18 pm

I noticed the same on all my flights since last month :(
I don’t know why they did that. The video is very boring now and looks less “fresh and energic” than before.

Solevita Mar 19, 2018 1:35 am

Wonder if it's anything to do with this...

Love is in the Air: Songwriters sue US pop duo, Air France over alleged copyright breach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Opinions? To me, other than they share the lyric "love is in the air", which is even sung slightly differently, they are completely different songs.

Just to add, it was still the hold music on the Platinum line last week :)

Andy82 Mar 19, 2018 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Solevita (Post 29541334)
Wonder if it's anything to do with this...

Love is in the Air: Songwriters sue US pop duo, Air France over alleged copyright breach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Opinions? To me, other than they share the lyric "love is in the air", which is even sung slightly differently, they are completely different songs.

Just to add, it was still the hold music on the Platinum line last week :)

Thanks for the reference. I've noticed the same, the song is still in the PL service line as of this morning (at least from Switzerland)
I expected there would be something like an alleged copyright breach... I wonder why it went out now, since the song has been out for years.

Solevita Mar 19, 2018 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Andy82 (Post 29541437)
Thanks for the reference. I've noticed the same, the song is still in the PL service line as of this morning (at least from Switzerland)
I expected there would be something like an alleged copyright breach... I wonder why it went out now, since the song has been out for years.

The only press I see about it is from the land of Oz (actually, searching for the track after being on the Plat line, the first results were all about the lawsuit), so probably an Oz lawyer had a trip on AF and had in idea. I guess Glass Candy aren't that big in Oz (I've never heard of them, a Brit now living in Sweden), so only got picked up when AF ran with it.

Definitely a catchy tune though, even listening to it on low quality repeat for 20 minutes wasn't too painful whilst waiting for an operator...

brunos Mar 19, 2018 7:54 am

Strange. I thought AF had bought the copyright for "love is in the air", a famous Australian song that I loved.
I was not even aware of Glass Candy.
I am a fan of "The Good Wife" and American TV legal series. That would make a wonderful episode. If AF has to pay back a percentage of the amount they spent on advertising worldwide, it would be a hefty sum. And damages related to the Plat line.:p

NickB Mar 19, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29542070)
Strange. I thought AF had bought the copyright for "love is in the air", a famous Australian song that I loved.
I was not even aware of Glass Candy.

I had heard warm in the winter multiple times before hearing it in the AF advertising although I would not have been aware of Glass Candy as such. I must say that, while I knew "love is in the air", In would never have associated it with the Glass Candy song or the AF advert although the similarity of the (short) musical phrase is clear when you listen to them side by side.

brunos Mar 20, 2018 12:21 am

I cannot find the AF ad anymore. Anyone would have a link that has not been removed?

fifty_two Mar 20, 2018 1:29 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29545207)
I cannot find the AF ad anymore. Anyone would have a link that has not been removed?

here it is , but without glass candy !

brunos Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am

So no more AF Love in the Air anywhere on the web?

NickB Mar 20, 2018 5:06 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29545457)
So no more AF Love in the Air anywhere on the web?

not on official AF channels but you can still find it here and there (youtube ...)..

brunos Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 29545688)
not on official AF channels but you can still find it here and there (youtube ...)..

Finally found it. Forgot that the title was "France is in the Air"

Milkman Mar 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Noooooo!

I loved the safety video!!

Andy82 Mar 21, 2018 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Milkman (Post 29548894)
Noooooo!

I loved the safety video!!

The safety video is still the same and it is still there, it’s just the background music that changed (significantly) :-(

Goldorak Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm

I asked the question to a PNC during a flight today and she was totally clueless and said she didn't even remarked the music was gone !

Milkman Mar 21, 2018 5:15 pm

I loved the video mainly because the song fits in so well. The new version is so dull!

NickB Mar 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Milkman (Post 29552409)
I loved the video mainly because the song fits in so well. The new version is so dull!

Yes, I agree that the right music is key to make it work. It does need something with a little more oomph and flair than what they have now. I am sure that there are dozens of tracks that would probably do the trick (allowing for some time for us to adjust to new soundtrack) but this new one just is not it.

brunos Mar 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 29552466)
Yes, I agree that the right music is key to make it work. It does need something with a little more oomph and flair than what they have now. I am sure that there are dozens of tracks that would probably do the trick (allowing for some time for us to adjust to new soundtrack) but this new one just is not it.

Agreed.
I think that their most important preoccupation is their TV advertisement campaign. They used various versions of the ad with that music worldwide. That has been suspended and will take time to replace.

Andy82 Mar 22, 2018 3:57 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29552603)
Agreed.
I think that their most important preoccupation is their TV advertisement campaign. They used various versions of the ad with that music worldwide. That has been suspended and will take time to replace.

I've actually seen the TV ad on the Italian tv with the new music, the same of the safety video. Has it been recently suspended?

brunos Mar 22, 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Andy82 (Post 29553534)
I've actually seen the TV ad on the Italian tv with the new music, the same of the safety video. Has it been recently suspended?

Not sure I understand your question.
if you read the thread, you will see that AF is being sued for the copyrights of that music.
It could be a pure coincidence, but the timing would suggest a correlation.
Any video with the "love in the air" music have been removed from all AF websites. That is strange, even if the "new" music was a planned change,
And the "old" music was such a worldwide success.
I have not seen the new ad. I don't know if they simply replaced the soundtrack or created a brand new commercial (which would suggest a planned change)

PS: It could be that the word "suspended" was not the best one-word choice. But the Oxford Dictionary states for "suspended": "temporarily prevented from continuing or being in force or effect."

Andy82 Mar 22, 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29553568)
Not sure I understand your question.
if you read the thread, you will see that AF is being sued for the copyrights of that music.
It could be a pure coincidence, but the timing would suggest a correlation.
Any video with the "love in the air" music have been removed from all AF websites. That is strange, even if the "new" music was a planned change,
And the "old" music was such a worldwide success.
I have not seen the new ad. I don't know if they simply replaced the soundtrack or created a brand new commercial (which would suggest a planned change)

PS: It could be that the word "suspended" was not the best one-word choice. But the Oxford Dictionary states for "suspended": "temporarily prevented from continuing or being in force or effect."

I'm the OP, I've been reading the thread :)
When you said "suspended", it seemed you were referring to the ads on tv (you said "I think that their most important preoccupation is their TV advertisement campaign. They used various versions of the ad with that music worldwide. That has been suspended and will take time to replace."), but since I've seen the tv ad with the new music (see my first post)- and it had the same images of old ads - I was wondering if you had some different source of news about a recent suspension of the whole advertising campaign (not just music replacement). Just that.

I've noticed, though, that there are new ads (at least I've never seen them before) with the new music. These are probably just youtube/web ads I guess - I don't remember them with glass candy.
For example:
- this is 1 week old, the french version is a little older (2 weeks).

So maybe there was some planning and at least a set of new commercials.

Solevita Mar 22, 2018 5:15 am

Off topic, but RE that add. I'm so happy for Claire!

Sometime after the requirement for new passwords (I still haven't changed) something went wrong with the AF app. So I tried logging out and in, all I get is "Oops something went wrong". Tried just viewing a booking without being logged in "Oops something went wrong". Deteled all saved data and cache for the app, removed the app, re-downloaded it. Still "Oops something went wrong". KL app still works as well as it used to, with the inability to show random boarding passes. Usually the AF app would fill in those gaps, but now that's gone...

brunos Mar 22, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Andy82 (Post 29553642)
I'm the OP, I've been reading the thread :)
When you said "suspended", it seemed you were referring to the ads on tv (you said "I think that their most important preoccupation is their TV advertisement campaign. They used various versions of the ad with that music worldwide. That has been suspended and will take time to replace."), but since I've seen the tv ad with the new music (see my first post)- and it had the same images of old ads - I was wondering if you had some different source of news about a recent suspension of the whole advertising campaign (not just music replacement). Just that.

I've noticed, though, that there are new ads (at least I've never seen them before) with the new music. These are probably just youtube/web ads I guess - I don't remember them with glass candy.
For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2QOWs3pv6w - this is 1 week old, the french version is a little older (2 weeks).

So maybe there was some planning and at least a set of new commercials.

Apologies.
Your initial post said it all, sorry.
And I have no other news.

FlyerWx Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

NOOOO! :(

I just heard about this and it is so disappointing. "Warm in the Winter" and AF have this connection in my mind, it will be so hard not to imagine hearing that song when I see the safety video.

SEA-Flyer Mar 23, 2018 6:20 am

Bummer. The old song was quite catchy and they did a great job tying it to their brand.

mlin32 Mar 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Boooooo agree with the comments above, It was quite catchy, kind of stuck in my head as a defining feature of AF.

ticino Mar 27, 2018 6:02 am

:mad::mad::mad:
Best safety video ever ruined.
If only I could hear some similarity between the songs then I'd understand, but I don't.

bodory Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am

I actually like the new (easy listening) music used for the Platinum Service Line: quite soothing.

bodory Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am

Which happens to be (an edited version of?) "Parade" by French artist Rone.

Zarmakuizz Jul 13, 2018 8:29 pm

On the B777-300, whenever I started a movie on the IFE, a short Airfrance Touch jingle played with a sample of Glass Candy. That is the biggest bit of Glass Candy still available. :D