Air France - Wine/Alcohol Restriction

Old Mar 10, 18, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Air France - Wine/Alcohol Restriction

I did a search but couldn't come up with anything - sorry if there is something out there already -

Anyways, Flying GVA-CDG (DL booked ticket, part of a larger itinerary) and I was notified (at the check in counter) that I was only allowed to check 5 liters of alcohol. Well, I had more than that and I wasn't willing to leave the "extra" bottles at the check in counter and I didn't have any other options to take them elsewhere/shipment, etc ...

I've asked some others who have flown, and carry wine/alcohol, recently on AF and they have said they flew without problem.

The information is clearly on their website so I'm not calling shenanigans or anything like that but this policy just took me (and my wallet) by surprise.

From the AF site - "Alcoholic beverages not exceeding an alcoholic volume of 70 %, wrapped in their retail packaging, correctly closed and not exceeding 5 liters, are permitted. "

Resolution was me on the phone with Delta changing to a flight to the next day that connected in AMS (via KLM).

Does anybody know when this policy was put into place?
Old Mar 10, 18, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I can't speak to exactly when or whether it has changed over the years, but the answer is that it has been a long time (many years) and this a fairly common restriction across carriers. Just rarely enforced and absent showing up at the counter with a carrier full of bottles, pretty much no way for AF or any carrier to know.
Old Mar 10, 18, 4:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oman Air Sindbad Gold, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mbowden19 View Post
From the AF site - "Alcoholic beverages not exceeding an alcoholic volume of 70 %, wrapped in their retail packaging, correctly closed and not exceeding 5 liters, are permitted. "
70% alcoholic volume? That's almost undrinkable and almost unheard of. At that level you're in the realms of Bolivian Cocoroco and similar products.
Old Mar 10, 18, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
An alcohol volume of 70% would be 140 proof, which is approaching the point where rum cannot be taken onto an aircraft due to the fire hazard it creates, or so I have been told.
Old Mar 11, 18, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
whoops! I guess that 190 proof/95% alcohol Everclear I bought to make limoncello wasn't a good idea
I did make it through though!
Old Mar 12, 18, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Thanks all for the responses - my (changed) flight to a KLM flight went about at easy as possible.
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Andrew_G View Post
70% alcoholic volume? That's almost undrinkable and almost unheard of. At that level you're in the realms of Bolivian Cocoroco and similar products.
Heard of but not tasted, its those typical homemade rum. or Off the shelf rare bottles with 70% alcohol.
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:29 am

Programs: QF LTS, QF GOLD, Marriott LTG, Marriott PLAT
It is an IATA dangerous goods restriction as per
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...ble-23A-en.pdf

So KLM was in the wrong for allowing you carriage if you had more than 5L of alcohol checked in. (of course if you didn't disclose it how would they know?)
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:38 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by ANstar View Post

So KLM was in the wrong for allowing you carriage if you had more than 5L of alcohol checked in. (of course if you didn't disclose it how would they know?)
According to that table, the 5L limit only applies to alcohol content between 24% and 70%. They don't say about limits if you're outside that range, on either side...
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:40 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Andrew_G View Post
Perfectly drinkable, had some good times up an Austrian mountain some years ago with a certain Stroh 80. The number representing ABV, not proof
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by ANstar View Post

ummmm...so are you saying AF, who are on the ball, would only allow a single passenger to check 5L, and refuse any other customer even the ability to check in a mini bottle, given the imperative you place on the 5L limit?
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF LTS, QF GOLD, Marriott LTG, Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
ummmm...so are you saying AF, who are on the ball, would only allow a single passenger to check 5L, and refuse any other customer even the ability to check in a mini bottle, given the imperative you place on the 5L limit?
no - itís 5L per passenger. So every passenger on the aircraft could carry 5L.
I donít make IATA rules - I was simply trying to highlight that their is guidance in place as the OP hadnít heard of that restriction before.
Old Mar 13, 18, 10:03 pm

Programs: asia miles
well if it is in your check luggage, they wouldn't know if you don't tell them anyway...
Old Mar 14, 18, 4:21 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by blandy62 View Post
well if it is in your check luggage, they wouldn't know if you don't tell them anyway...
umm. Checkin baggage goes through a security scan as well, you know?
Old Mar 14, 18, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
umm. Checkin baggage goes through a security scan as well, you know?
I once put a wine case (six bottles) in checked luggage.Did not tell anyone. At gate, I got a warning that I had fragile goods in my bag and that they declined responsibility in case of damage. Wine import is free in Hong Kong.

But I doubt that all bags get scanned on all flights. Do they?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: