Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage at CDG and long layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Luggage at CDG and long layover

Question - what's the Air France policy for checking bags through if you're connecting in CDG on one ticket and have a layover of over 24 hours? I saw some reference online to a €275 fee to collect bags in CDG (presumably to stop people from short-checking bags and dropping segments) but it's very vague and there's no reference to time limit.

I'm booked on a flight later this week (IAD-CDG-ABV), but will have >24 hours in Paris both directions (27 hours on the way out - arriving 8am and departing 11am the following day. Likewise I'll have a 32 hour layover on the way back). All flights are under one PNR. Would like to collect luggage both ways since I'm staying overnight.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The issue is not whether it is under the same PNR, but whether the ticket is issued without stopover in CDG. As the layover is over 24hrs, this is not the case and you can check your bags to CDG and retrieve them.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping this thread -- I have a 12h30m connection at CDG (both AF segments), will they check luggage through for this? (some airlines/airports have 12h limits IIRC)

If there's even an option, *should* I check it through (in terms of risk of bag getting lost)?

Plan is to visit Paris for the day, if I only have my carry-on, I may use the lockers at Gare du Nord since the luggage storage at CDG closes a little earlier in the evening than I'd like.
If they won't check it through, I may try to carry it on instead so I don't have to waste any time waiting for it upon arrival at CDG.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Bumping this thread -- I have a 12h30m connection at CDG (both AF segments), will they check luggage through for this? (some airlines/airports have 12h limits IIRC)

If there's even an option, *should* I check it through (in terms of risk of bag getting lost)?

Plan is to visit Paris for the day, if I only have my carry-on, I may use the lockers at Gare du Nord since the luggage storage at CDG closes a little earlier in the evening than I'd like.
If they won't check it through, I may try to carry it on instead so I don't have to waste any time waiting for it upon arrival at CDG.
If this is a layover during daytime, 99% sure luggage will be checked through. And I guess you would like to want that. If you visit Paris during the day, you would like to have to carry around as little luggage as possible. In your case I would try to have luggage that could be carry-on (with a very small pack for essentials as extra) and see if that is checked through. If the 1% chance happens they do not accept that, you always can use left luggage, and if that fails, you just have a roller bag to move around in Paris.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
If this is a layover during daytime, 99% sure luggage will be checked through. And I guess you would like to want that. If you visit Paris during the day, you would like to have to carry around as little luggage as possible. In your case I would try to have luggage that could be carry-on (with a very small pack for essentials as extra) and see if that is checked through. If the 1% chance happens they do not accept that, you always can use left luggage, and if that fails, you just have a roller bag to move around in Paris.
Thanks - yes, it is a morning arrival and nighttime departure. Ideally of course I'd prefer to have the bag checked through so as to not need to deal with it during the layover. But I see the "baggage debacle" thread which worries me that AF will screw it up and not get the bag to my final destination.

I can also probably manage to do carry-on only - this avoids any risk of baggage delivery failure, but then I would definitely need to use the left luggage facility. That would also be preferable to your "1% scenario" of AF telling me they won't check the bag through as the layover is too long.

Even if they check the bag through, and nobody here advises against it, I'll have some lighter carry-ons that I won't want to schlep around Paris, so I'll still need to use either the CDG left luggage or the lockers at Gare du Nord. As I mentioned, the CDG left luggage facility closes a little earlier in the evening than I'd want to have to be back at the airport; using GdeN gives me a little extra flexibility on timing (but requires me to take the bag on the RER).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Please let us know how it went. I have a 16 hour layover in October, from Air Canada to Air France (Non-Schengen), and would like to have my luggage checked through.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:43 pm

Here's my own experience: I had a ~16 hour layover in CDG on a connection from Air Canada to Air France. My luggage was indeed checked through and arrived well at the other end. It probably helped that I was checked in to the Air France flight before dropping my luggage in Canada - thank you, Air France, for the 30 hour online check-in window!

However, it was not easy to find Air France staff at the gate or at the customer service counter nearby who would actually look up and confirm that my luggage had been loaded.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.