Search

AF Strike on 22 February and HOP ! pilots strike

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF Strike on 22 February and HOP ! pilots strike

Apparently 10 unions for different employee categories are asking for a 6% pay increase accross the board and threaten to strike on 22 February.
Pilots seem to be asking over 10% raise. And HOP! pilots have voted for a strike too (one day a week):
https://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-se...er-2152433.php

Any guess on the likelihood of a strike and its effects on AF/HOP operations?
Is this just negotiation tactics?

Last edited by brunos; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: Many
Saw that indeed and it seems serious as the call for the strike is from all AF businesses (flying and non-flying).

And I am precisely flying back to CDG from SIN that day
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:03 am

planed to fly to new York on the 22.
Is the strike already officially, when will it be possible to rebook the flight?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by bodory
Saw that indeed and it seems serious as the call for the strike is from all AF businesses (flying and non-flying).

And I am precisely flying back to CDG from SIN that day
I wouldn't worry too much about a crew going on strike in an outstation.

Originally Posted by Andre Eichhorn
planed to fly to new York on the 22.
Is the strike already officially, when will it be possible to rebook the flight?
Welcome to FT!

If your don't have a fully flexible ticket, you can't rebook without cost, unless a strike is official. This will be known latest 3 days before an actual strike takes place. In case there is a strike officially announced, AF will put a system in place which should help you to rebook to for free, or get full reimbursement if necessary.

If you have a fully flexible ticket, you can rebook at any time you choose.

Last edited by Zembla; Feb 12, 2018 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I hope this doesn’t screw up my mileage running! I’ll be flying on the 21st and 23rd, so hopefully I’ll slalom through the strike.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Zembla
I wouldn't worry too much about a crew going on strike in an outstation.
True. Though I am worried because travelling with our kids that night and connecting to the train on one of the most busiest day of the year to the Alps.

My insiders sources at AF are also concerned about that strike so that does not help.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My insider sources, admittedly very remote from HQ, believe that this is negotiation tactics as the annual pay agreement has been invalidated.
A good probability is that it will result in lengthy discussions under threat, rather than a strike that day.
But if the strike takes place, its effect could be massive.
This is just one guess.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
French on strike is a broken record, really
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Like clockwork. Just as AF is starting to get its affairs in order and had recovered from the previous labour disputes, employees do this.
I have not been on an AF flight for a good 18 months because AF can't compete on cost, comfort or service with the *A carriers on the Canada to Asia routes. The airline will be even less competitive if it gives in. The labour instability is just icing on the cake for that. Honestly, I am always worried of a wildcat strike or angry FA issues on the routes to Canada. I haven't forgotten the last labour strike that nearly left me stranded in Asia.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are JOON flights included?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
AF can't compete on cost, comfort or service with the *A carriers on the Canada to Asia routes.
Not sure they can compete at all on the transpac route
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are JOON flights included?
I guess so as the strike threat concerns all AF entities (including HOP!) and all categories of employees .
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (platinum)
strike confirmed

Hello. I just called platinum line and they told me that there is a 99% probability of strike on the 22nd. The nice lady told me that they have received instructions to modify reservation of this date at no cost. Therefore I decided to change my flight to Guangzhou from 22 to 20. This creates some extra costs for me but I have no choice as I need to be there. Do you know if I am entitled to any compensation/costs coverage ?
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAURENTD
Hello. I just called platinum line and they told me that there is a 99% probability of strike on the 22nd. The nice lady told me that they have received instructions to modify reservation of this date at no cost. Therefore I decided to change my flight to Guangzhou from 22 to 20. This creates some extra costs for me but I have no choice as I need to be there. Do you know if I am entitled to any compensation/costs coverage ?
Thank you in advance.
Technically, they did not cancel your flights. They just gave you the option to modify your dates at no cost, IF YOU WISHED TO. I don't think that you are entitled to any compensation.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I heard that contigency plans are being drawn on AF longhaul network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.