Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report - AF6 in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Trip report - AF6 in Business Class

As it was my very first business class experience with Air France, I thought I would share with you my impressions. I realise it's a bit of a long one but here goes:

After a short but pleasing hop from London, we arrived in Charles de Gaulle with about 70 minutes to connect to our next flight to New York.
We were the first ones out of the flight from London and quickly followed the Connecting Flights sign.Through security, which was quick and efficient and back to the departures lounge with 45 minutes to spare to departure.As it was a bit short, we decided against visiting the lounge in that occasion.We arrived at a very busy gate where strict queues were in place. We joined an already busy Sky Priority queue after being grilled by a local agent asking the usual questions, where do you stay, how long, when you come back etc …Boarding was delayed for about 20 minutes but then we were through pretty quickly.I had picked seats 62K and 62L for this flight on the A380 (a first for both of us !)We settled and were offered champagne, water and OJ.The champagne was Joseph Perrier Cuvée Royale Brut and absolutely delicious.The business seat on the A380 doesn’t go completely flat but as it was a day flight, I wasn’t bothered.Soon after take off, we were offered aperitif which consisted of warm nuts and then a little “mise en bouche” which was Lobster with parsnip.Then, we followed with a “Gourmet Appetizer with seasonal salad” which was Duck Foie Gras with an onion and blackcurrant relish, potatoes with truffles and mixed green salad with toasted pine nuts.The main course choices were:
  1. Lamb shoulder confit with celery puree and buckwheat semolina
  2. Chicken in a lobster sauce with snow peas and a trio of Camargue rice
  3. Creamy scallop flan with trumpet mushrooms and button mushrooms
  4. Spelt risotto
I went for the scallop flan and I have to say it’s one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten on a flight. Simply superb.For the cheese course, we had 2 portions of goat’s cheese and cantal.Finally for dessert, there was a choice of little bites, including Cannelé cake, exotic fruit dome and crisp milk chocolate bite, as well as ice creams and sorbets and fresh fruit salad.It was simply superb !The choice of wines was as follows:WHITES :Bourgogne Blanc – Pouilly Fuissé 2014, Bouchard Pere et FilsLanguedoc Blanc – Cigalus 2015, Gerard BertrandREDS : Bourgogne Rouge – Mercurey 2015, Bouchard Père et FilsBordeaux Rouge – Saint Estephe, Ch teau Le Crock 2012I can only comment on the whites, which were both fabulous, especially the Cigalus, which was a real discovery.The whole meal experience was just superb with a service to match.Nothing was too much for the cabin crew.One caveat is that if, like me, you like a Baileys or an Amarula with your coffee, you won’t get any as the digestives are more French, like cognac or calvados.The A380 has a large business cabin of 80 seats but we were seating in the front cabin which is smaller and most likely get better service.The IFE is pretty good with a large choice of films and TV programmes as well as music.French films and music are plenty, which was really cool for the French speaker that I am.The seat was very comfy with window seats having the extra bonus on side storage.After such a big meal, I felt the need for a little nap and went down in sleeping mode. Despite not being full flat, the bed was really comfy and I napped for about an hour …About 90 minutes before landing, we were served what Air France call “a light snack”.It was composed of focaccia with pastrami, bagel with salmon and tomato and mozzarella, all in bite size. On the sweet side, we were served apricot, passion fruit and nougat cake, chocolate choux pastry and red berry panna cotta.Each being more delicious than the previous one.It was again served with coffee, tea or anything from the full bar.Very very impressed with quality and quantity of food we were served.We landed in a freezing JFK only about 15 minutes late.However, it came quickly obvious that JFK was still in complete chaos due to the bomb storm the day before.We landed and started taxiing for about 5 minutes and came to a halt.Long story short, we were stuck there for 4 (!) full hours, waiting for our gate to be freed by a China Eastern A380 that had been heavily delayed.There was nothing that could be done but the captain came back to us every 25 minutes or so with updates and being more and more apologetic and embarrassed.After having landed just after 4pm, we were finally released from the plane at 8pm.We were offered snacks and drinks while waiting in business but not sure it was the case in Premium Economy and Economy.We were in the first 10 out of the plane and prepared mentally for bedlam in the immigration hall.It came to a massive surprise that the hall was completely empty.We were seen immediately by a very handsome, smiling young officer, who greeted us and didn’t ask many questions, just took the fingerprints and sent us off our way.Immigration done in 4 minutes for both of us. Never ever experienced that in a major US airport before.Then on the luggage which took a bit longer but it was expected with such a big plane.Finally through customs and to the transportation desk to get onto our shuttle to Manhattan.We arrived at our hotel at about 10.15pm.So basically 2 hours and 15 minutes from the plane door to the hotel door.I guess it’s a pretty good score in the end.I realize now that this TR is absolutely endless so if you’re still reading it, I hope you’ve enjoyed it.Air France delivered a superior product all around, not totally on par with Virgin Atlantic Upper Class, which I always consider as not exactly business but somewhere between First and business but a very sold product all the same.
obscure2k and PeteM01 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for taking the time to write this nice TR and I'm glad you had such a nice experience. Indeed AF is a very pleasant airline to fly most of the time especially in the premium cabins. The JFK situation is a complete shame to this airport. 4 hours...
Last time I landed there, we waited also for a very long time on the ground, for the same reason as you (and same delayed plane) but not as long as you (around 45 min to 1 hr IIRC).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:08 pm

Thanks for the report, and glad you enjoyed your flight! That's consistent with my experiences, too.
A little piece of advice though: try to add some line breaks to make it a bit easier for us to read .
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Thank you very much for your report! I've flown AF J only in 777 BEST/787, and I've always been very skeptical about the seats on the A380... I'm glad the rest of the experience was very good - for me as well, it's consistent with my experience.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Thanks all for your nice comments ! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope I will be to do it again in the future !
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by julmops
Thanks all for your nice comments ! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope I will be to do it again in the future !
Thank you for writing this report.

On thing though (it will take you just a few seconds) : can you click on "edit" on your post and insert lines so as to create paragraphs then "save "? It will make it so much more comfortable to read!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.