Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Possible/Practical to Get PARAFE When Arriving CDG and Use 9 Days Later to Exit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible/Practical to Get PARAFE When Arriving CDG and Use 9 Days Later to Exit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Last time I flew AF from CDG to the US the passport control line was ridiculously long.

I'm going again in a few months, originating in the US to CDG and back.

Is it possible upon arrival to enroll in PARAFES and then use it 9 days later to leave the country? Is there a fee to register, and can the registration desk be accessed when arriving on an incoming flight from the US?

Of course I have an EU passport (but reside in the US.)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: FB Gold
It's been a few years since I enrolled in PARAFE, but when I did it the enrolment was instant and free. They scanned my passport, scanned both my hands on a fingerprint reader and that was it. I was able to go straight from the registration office and then use it to exit the country a couple minutes later. The problem I find now is that the PARAFE lines can be just as long and slow as the normal ones, either because the machines are broken or people don't know how to use them.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Good to know that it is instant, assuming I can access the registration area.

I also asked if it is accessible to incoming passengers.

Per the Parafe website, the places to sign up are:

- Terminal 1: Departures level – by gate 24 ;

- Terminal 2 E: Departures level – by gate 10.

Are either of those places reachable when arriving from the US on Air France? Since they are near gates it sounds like they are on the secure side of security and therefore not reachable by an incoming passenger (I'm assuming incoming passengers are separated from outbound passengers.)

Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
It's been a few years since I enrolled in PARAFE, but when I did it the enrolment was instant and free. They scanned my passport, scanned both my hands on a fingerprint reader and that was it. I was able to go straight from the registration office and then use it to exit the country a couple minutes later. The problem I find now is that the PARAFE lines can be just as long and slow as the normal ones, either because the machines are broken or people don't know how to use them.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:48 am

I think you don’t even need to register for PARAFE any more. Anyone with a EU passport can go, hence the lines....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

That would certainly be a sensible approach, and consistent with other EU countries.

However, that is not what the Parafe website says: Parafe

Originally Posted by af fp
I think you don’t even need to register for PARAFE any more. Anyone with a EU passport can go, hence the lines....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Good to know that it is instant, assuming I can access the registration area.

I also asked if it is accessible to incoming passengers.

Per the Parafe website, the places to sign up are:

- Terminal 1: Departures level – by gate 24 ;

- Terminal 2 E: Departures level – by gate 10.

Are either of those places reachable when arriving from the US on Air France? Since they are near gates it sounds like they are on the secure side of security and therefore not reachable by an incoming passenger (I'm assuming incoming passengers are separated from outbound passengers.)
all PARAFE registration desks are landside, not airside. Gates here refer to gates to enter the terminal from the outside/drop-off points.

That’s my understanding as well.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: FB Gold

When I went through 2E arrivals last weekend, I noticed a sign with French, German, Belgian and a couple other flags on it at entrance to PARAFE lane (I didn't pay close attention since all of the gates were closed, as seems usual these days). The whole system is based on fingerprints, so my guess is that if your from an EU country who puts fingerprints on the passport you don't need to pre-register anymore. If your passport is from the UK or another country that doesn't take fingerprints, you'll need to do the registration.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I suppose the European countries share their passport fingerprint encryption algorithms with each other.

There are various apps in the Google Play store that allow you to read the NFC chip in passports, even showing the photo on the phone. But, these apps cannot access the fingerprint info due to the encryption.

(Photo and other information is also encrypted, but can be decrypted by the app using the info on the visible machine readable portion of the passport.)

Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
When I went through 2E arrivals last weekend, I noticed a sign with French, German, Belgian and a couple other flags on it at entrance to PARAFE lane (I didn't pay close attention since all of the gates were closed, as seems usual these days). The whole system is based on fingerprints, so my guess is that if your from an EU country who puts fingerprints on the passport you don't need to pre-register anymore. If your passport is from the UK or another country that doesn't take fingerprints, you'll need to do the registration.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I really wish they’d open it up to non-EU passports. I’m resident in France, they’ve got my fingerprints, but no option to use the PARAFE.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

All EU citizens have (with certain limited exceptions) the absolute right to enter any other EU country. Since there is no exercise of discretion on whether to admit EU citizens, the gates are adequate because they positively identify the person as an EU citizen.

Even with a French residency visa, you are technically applying at the border for entry each time you enter. Accordingly, you have to see an immigration official each time you enter Schengen.

Schiphol allows certain low risk nationalities (US, Japan, Australia, etc.) to use the automatic gates when leaving Schengen, but not entering.

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I really wish they’d open it up to non-EU passports. I’m resident in France, they’ve got my fingerprints, but no option to use the PARAFE.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, only French nationals with biometric passports are exempted from the need to register. Other EU nationals are eligible to use Parafe but they must register first.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Even with a French residency visa, you are technically applying at the border for entry each time you enter. Accordingly, you have to see an immigration official each time you enter Schengen.
Sure, but that doesn't mean they couldn't decide to expand it to other countries. Just like the US has expanded Global Entry to permanent residents, and citizens of the UK, Germany, Switzerland, India, etc. ITs just that instead of applying for entry with an agent, you are applying for entry with a machine.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

PARAFE, as I understand, it, is not a "trusted traveler" program, i.e., there is no vetting process (including a background check) to determine if the participant is worthy. The registration process collects fingerprints and is for purposes of positively identifying the applicant.

If they were going to include non-EU/EEA nationals, there would need to be some sort of vetting program set up.

The thing that has always bothered me about Global Entry is that Americans have to jump through hoops and vetting to simply get the same ease of entering their own country that all EU citizens get automatically when entering various EU countries that have automated border gates (actually, that statement is not quite accurate - given that only a small % of travelers can use Global Entry, the wait for a Global Entry machine is usually shorter than the wait at European automated border gates.)

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Sure, but that doesn't mean they couldn't decide to expand it to other countries. Just like the US has expanded Global Entry to permanent residents, and citizens of the UK, Germany, Switzerland, India, etc. ITs just that instead of applying for entry with an agent, you are applying for entry with a machine.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

On the question of whether non-French EU citizens need to register - I asked the question via DM on Twitter to the Paris Aéroport account, and received the following response:

Dear BigFlyer, there is no need of registration only for the holders of a new French biometric passport. For the others, registration is mandatory and free in Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport. Crossing borders …. Have a nice day. BB Community Manager.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Could I ask when is the last occasion that anybody has succeeded in obtaining a PARAFE at the advertised terminal 2E location in CDG?

Last time I stopped by that office, intending to get a PARAFE in a EU (non-French) Passport, there was a notice on the door indicating that the office was closed and had been closed for a week or more (cannot remember the precise wording). There was no indication as to a date when it would re-open.

That was in October 2017, and I wonder if the office has re-opened since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.