Do Check-in agents at CDG really not know US CBP rules?

Old Jan 27, 18, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Do Check-in agents at CDG really not know US CBP rules?

When connecting in Atlanta from DL-DL international-international you usually get a purple or orange tag in order not to collect your bags without even having to ask for it. I never had a problem with this. Yesterday, a family member of mine checked in at CDG and the AF check-in agent had no clue what she was talking about. When she asked for a supervisor, the agent would not respond and the atmosphere got very icy, however after her insisting, the agent asked another agent, and oh wonder somewhere they found such a sticker. I can understand that an agent at an outstation where there are no US bound flights might not know US rules, but in CDG? Not sure if others had similar experiences or if this is just another agent which has the wrong job or maybe just a bad day ...(I should probably add that this was in 2F and AF was a feeder flight for the DL connection)
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
I don’t think that kind of tag is mandatory and I am not surprised it was unknown in 2F which has no US flight. That kind of tag is certainly not available at every station in the world and the most important is that the information (int’l to int’l) is included in the bar code (like the priority level). So when the bag is offloaded in ATL it doesn’t follow the same route as the other bags.
And for your information, it’s much more complicated than “knowing the US rules” because IIRC it depends on the agreement each carrier has at each airport. There was likely no need to make a fuss about that.
Cupart likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
it’s much more complicated than “knowing the US rules” because IIRC it depends on the agreement each carrier has at each airport.
YDRC (You Do Remember Correctly )
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I do know that it is airport and airline specific, but I still think they should know the rules at the major hub of their major TATL partner or at least take the phone and get clarification and not just say no.
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
Purple or orange tag? Never got one even when I flew with Delta from NRT to SJC via LAX
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:40 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
How is this a CBP rule?

Also, AF as a feeder flight - LOL
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sjondorn View Post
Purple or orange tag? Never got one even when I flew with Delta from NRT to SJC via LAX
because SJC is domestic and LAX may not participate in the program, but you would get one flying NRT-ATL-MEX.
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Also, AF as a feeder flight - LOL
AF: CDG-AMS
DL: AMS-ATL-Latin America
Old Feb 1, 18, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
When connecting in Atlanta from DL-DL international-international you usually get a purple or orange tag in order not to collect your bags without even having to ask for it.

I should probably add that this was in 2F and AF was a feeder flight for the DL connection)
So you're complaining that an AF agent didn't handle you as if they were from a Delta, rather than Air France, agent, and didn't treat you as if you were flying on Delta, although you were flying Air France???

What's more, it appears that the AF agent in question was handling flights from 2F, i.e. Schengen flights.
Old Feb 1, 18, 5:26 am

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a check-in agent to know every rule from every country and airport a passenger might possibly fly to.
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a check-in agent to know every rule from every country and airport a passenger might possibly fly to.
I don't expect that either, but I think it is reasonable to expect that when they check-in a passenger, they will be able to easily look such things up, even better if those messages could be displayed for them on the screen.
MarLim likes this.
Old Feb 1, 18, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Somehow I doubt that the purple/orange tag makes little difference.

The ground handlers will still have to scan each piece of luggage to determine where it goes next. If Delta's system is built in such a way that a purple/orange tag is required for the system not to fall apart, or that the absence of such a tag means that the destination tag/barcode can't be properly interpreted, then it doesn't sound very promising.

The purple/orange tag, in any event, is not a CBP label or requirement. And just as if a Skypriority passenger didn't have a yellow priority flash label attached to their bag, its absence should NOT be critical, meaning that the bag can still be directed appropriately without the corresponding colour tag.

After all, all that matters is that the pax has put their name and contact details inside the bag, and that the correct baggage label has been applied by the airline. The pax should always satisfy themselves that the label is as expected, if only by verifying the corresponding luggage receipt they receive at check in, even if they don't look at the luggage lable affixed to the bag.
Goldorak and olivedel like this.

Search this Thread